Doubles w/o manifold...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Independent doubles seems to be a better alternative to diving a single and pony, is this true? I understand I would need to not suck my first tank dry on the first dive as on the second, I won't have any redundency. Does anyone do this? Is this a waste? I basically don't want to dive doubles because of two things. First, I don't want to have to buy 4 tanks as opposed to two. If I were to dive the trad. doubles setup I would need to either dive one long dive (as opposed to two) or manage my gas so that I have enough for a second. Doubles would be more balanced than a single and pony?

oversea:
I basically don't want to dive doubles because of two things. First, I don't want to have to buy 4 tanks as opposed to two.

You hit on the single worst reason for choosing any gear configuration....money. If you are choosing independents vs. singles on this basis alone, you are absolutely not ready to be doing technical dives of any shape or form.

If I were to dive the trad. doubles setup I would need to either dive one long dive (as opposed to two) or manage my gas so that I have enough for a second.

And here's the second worst reason...You should be managing your gas *NO MATTER WHAT*!

Learn gas management, learn the pros and cons of independent vs manifolded doubles, and then make an educated decision.

Soggy:
You should be managing your gas *NO MATTER WHAT*!
I totally agree. Gas management isn't an inconvenience you should try to avoid, it should be a fundamental part of your dive plan.

oversea:
Independent doubles seems to be a better alternative to diving a single and pony, is this true? I understand I would need to not suck my first tank dry on the first dive as on the second, I won't have any redundency. Does anyone do this? Is this a waste? I basically don't want to dive doubles because of two things. First, I don't want to have to buy 4 tanks as opposed to two. If I were to dive the trad. doubles setup I would need to either dive one long dive (as opposed to two) or manage my gas so that I have enough for a second. Doubles would be more balanced than a single and pony?
Depends on your situation, you could not compare them in the technical realm, there's no place for a single in tech diving, in the recreational realm, yes, it is true, for multiple reasons.

You're correct, there are specific procedures for correctly diving independents.

Yes, people do, in fact, sidemounting is a form of independent doubles.

I'm confused as to your comment about 4 tanks, could you explain?

How you dive a set of doubles is your choice, once I get my small set together I will be taking them on the boat exclusively, even for recreational dives. If you can do two dives on 2 tanks there's no reason you couldn't do those same dives if those tanks are doubled up.

Yes, doubles are more balanced.

Be careful, the force of the darkside is strong in this thread.

I don't believe I can post the correct smiley for fear of gross TOS violations :D

I'm confused as to your comment about 4 tanks, could you explain?

Assuming I used a standard set of doubles. To do two dives I would either need to know what the cutoff is on the first dive so that I leave enough air for the second. Or I have a second set of doubles so I don't have to think about it. Or, I do one long dive, which may send me into decompression. I am basically justifying for my self why a single and pony are better for me as opposed to doubles. Oh, also minimize gear expenditure as the same rig will be used for basic rec. diving. This all started for me while researching the local dive charters out to ocean wrecks. They require (most) some sort of air redundency. I am just trying to sort out what will work best for me.

Well, in all honesty that's pretty easy, you calc your rock bottom for both your dives, add them together, then you know how much you have to play with on two dives, which you could just split straight down the middle or use more on one if it is deeper (a benefit of diving doubles) then adjust your breathing protocol to your gas management plan which should match your dive plan.

Independent doubles can be split up rather easily for dives you have the desire to dive with singles on.

My feeling is you will eventually outgrow a pony and in realty, if you have a pony, then you need 3 tanks, two for each dive and the pony, where if you dive doubles you only need two and they will grow with you.

If some of what I've said is unclear, it might be wise to talk with a local instructor before your purchase.

OneBrightGator:
Well, in all honesty that's pretty easy, you calc your rock bottom for both your dives, add them together, then you know how much you have to play with on two dives, which you could just split straight down the middle or use more on one if it is deeper (a benefit of diving doubles) then adjust your breathing protocol to your gas management plan which should match your dive plan.

Independent doubles can be split up rather easily for dives you have the desire to dive with singles on.

My feeling is you will eventually outgrow a pony and in realty, if you have a pony, then you need 3 tanks, two for each dive and the pony, where if you dive doubles you only need two and they will grow with you.

If some of what I've said is unclear, it might be wise to talk with a local instructor before your purchase.
So you are saying to go with doubles for the redundency (among other things) and for other types of dives, remove the manifold and cap the valves for independent use?

oversea:
So you are saying to go with doubles for the redundency (among other things) and for other types of dives, remove the manifold and cap the valves for independent use?

No...dive a set of manifolded doubles when you need redundancy and have a set of single tanks for when you need to dive singles. Like I said...diving independent doubles for purely economic reasons is stupidity of Darwinian proportions. Dive the configuration that best suits the type of diving you do. Think about *why* you need redundancy, what possible failures can occur, and read up on the different strategies for redundancy.

Diving independent doubles *can* work, but you need to be *VERY CAREFUL*, educated, and disciplined with your gas management....you don't just breathe one tank down and then switch to the other when you need it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom