Doubles w/o manifold...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish:
Hi Hugh
You were one of the people that gave me this idea. Seems like Japan woud be a great place for such an item...

JAG

Jag-san

They are well worth using on all dives - go for it. (Even TJO has some for his non-DIR moments!). Other than clipping the SPG's to the chest D-Rings, the only other addition to my kit configuration is to ensure that the clip on my long hose has a break-away so that if you are breathing from your short hose (w/necklace) and your long hose is clipped to your RH chest D-clip and you need to donate, hen you can release the reg quickly. I use a velco breakaway between the clip and the hose - others use an o-ring.

Gas management is straightforward - I normally breath short hose (LH) cylinder to 100 bar and then swap to RH long hose cylinder. If I'm going inside a wreck or below 40m I breath on my long hose reg so that if anything goes wrong the drills are just the same as for a manifolded double.

Also worth emailing Marc - he picked up a good-looking twinning set from a Canadian (?) company. I also know that OceanTech Divers in NishiKoyama (Meguro) have them in stock - but the internet prices might be better.

Hugh

jagfish:
Thanks for the tips, Hugh...

The one I got is from Aqua Explorers. They call it the "ultimate velcro double bands".
http://www.aquaexplorers.com/double_bands.htm

I will bring them to Atami next weekend (9/18-19-20 if you want to check them out.
One thing I didn't like about them was the plastic clip on the band which I changed for stainless steel ones.

Marc

Umiushi:
The one I got is from Aqua Explorers. They call it the "ultimate velcro double bands".
http://www.aquaexplorers.com/double_bands.htm

I will bring them to Atami next weekend (9/18-19-20 if you want to check them out.
One thing I didn't like about them was the plastic clip on the band which I changed for stainless steel ones.

Marc

Aquaexplorers is local to me. As I posted previously, we call them "Berg Bands" in defference to Dan Berg who is Aquaexplorers.

I too had problem with the buckles (or clips as you say). The first one I broke, I mentioned it to Dan when I was on his boat, and he immedately gave me a new one. When later ones broke, I didn't bother him. I think he may have gotten a bad batch.

Hugh:
Gas management is straightforward - I normally breath short hose (LH) cylinder to 100 bar and then swap to RH long hose cylinder. If I'm going inside a wreck or below 40m I breath on my long hose reg so that if anything goes wrong the drills are just the same as for a manifolded double.

Hugh

Just a thought, I breath 1/3 from long hose side first, then 2/3 from short hose side then last 1/3 back on long hose side.
That leaves the most amount of gas in the tank most likely to be donated for the longest amount of time.

Whether you use leave 1/3 in 2 tanks or 1/3 in one large the amount of gas remaining is the same. Independants do not require you to waste more gas at all compared to manifolds.

I think so, if you dove manifolded doubles and you left say 600psi in them (thats the equivilant of 1200 psi on a single) as comparred to leaving 1/3 of the gas on both (2000psi for both). not a huge thing but it is more.

WaterDawg:
I think so, if you dove manifolded doubles and you left say 600psi in them (thats the equivilant of 1200 psi on a single) as comparred to leaving 1/3 of the gas on both (2000psi for both). not a huge thing but it is more.
If you are comparing apples with apples, ie. rule of thirds, it makes no difference whether the gas is held in one tank or two. So I stand by my original comment, "Independants do not require you to waste more gas at all compared to manifolds."

wedivebc:
Just a thought, I breath 1/3 from long hose side first, then 2/3 from short hose side then last 1/3 back on long hose side.
That leaves the most amount of gas in the tank most likely to be donated for the longest amount of time.
bit of an old post, but could you describe your hose routing with your independent doubles?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom