Double Tank Size

What Size Double Do You Use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When i wear doubles they are usually 130's or 100's. I also have a set of Faber 120's but the offset in the weight between the 120's and the 130's means the fabers stay home more than anything else. I like faber tanks but they are so heavy compared to others.

With a 200g and being 5'7, I'm not surprised you're heavy on the surface. I have the same issue (I'm 5'6). Its not uncommon.

Heres why: At 5'7, you have less body surface area than a bigger dude, so there is LESS of the 200g undergarment in your suit, which displaces water, so you have less positive buoyancy.

Before you go buy other tanks or whatever, try a lighter plate. When I dive a heavy gas like 32%, I bust out the aluminium plate. Another thing to consider is a 400g undergarment. Its expensive, ya, but if your dives are approaching the limit of your 200g, then its a good option. Another thing to consider is adding helium to your backgas or stages on dives where you're carrying a lot of stuff. The Faber tanks are lighter as well, and might help you some.

Personally, I just deal with being a bit heavy on the surface by using an Al plate and adding gas to my suit. After all, how long are you really on the surface pre-dive anyway? If you need the gas for your dives (caves, for instance), I suggest keeping your tanks and working with some other options. I think you'll be happier in the long run.

Most of the time I use double 72's. When I need more gas I use double LP 95's.

I use Faber 12.2L 232bar steel doubles. I think the overseas equivalent is HP100s.

I like them as they trim out well and I can get two or three dives out of them. :)

I use the Sea Hornet 12lt (WC) X 232 bar (WP) for doubles.

PS. The fill pressure & buoyancy characteristics of a 12.2lt x 232 bar Faber, are probably closer to an FX 100 than a HP 100 with 10% overfill.

With a 200g and being 5'7, I'm not surprised you're heavy on the surface. I have the same issue (I'm 5'6). Its not uncommon.

Heres why: At 5'7, you have less body surface area than a bigger dude, so there is LESS of the 200g undergarment in your suit, which displaces water, so you have less positive buoyancy.

Before you go buy other tanks or whatever, try a lighter plate. When I dive a heavy gas like 32%, I bust out the aluminium plate. Another thing to consider is a 400g undergarment. Its expensive, ya, but if your dives are approaching the limit of your 200g, then its a good option. Another thing to consider is adding helium to your backgas or stages on dives where you're carrying a lot of stuff. The Faber tanks are lighter as well, and might help you some.

Personally, I just deal with being a bit heavy on the surface by using an Al plate and adding gas to my suit. After all, how long are you really on the surface pre-dive anyway? If you need the gas for your dives (caves, for instance), I suggest keeping your tanks and working with some other options. I think you'll be happier in the long run.

I am using an aluminum plate. Sometimes, I am floating on the surface for 5min or so.

I am borrowing a buddy's tanks while he is Afghanistan. They are his 130s. I am trying to decide what I should buy when he comes home.

I will not be pushing too deep into caves, but I am planning on doing some 300'+ dives when I have the training. My next three tech classes are: Intro to Cave, Trimix and Advanced Trimix.

PS. The fill pressure & buoyancy characteristics of a 12.2lt x 232 bar Faber, are probably closer to an FX 100 than a HP 100 with 10% overfill.

Ahhh cheers :) I'll keep that in mind when trying to explain my tanks to others :)

I am using an aluminum plate. Sometimes, I am floating on the surface for 5min or so.

I am borrowing a buddy's tanks while he is Afghanistan. They are his 130s. I am trying to decide what I should buy when he comes home.

I will not be pushing too deep into caves, but I am planning on doing some 300'+ dives when I have the training. My next three tech classes are: Intro to Cave, Trimix and Advanced Trimix.

Cool, check one off the list. You'll notice a significant difference when you have helium in your tanks.

I think 130s/104s/108s are great cave tanks at any level, and you won't go wrong there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom