Double Tank Size

What Size Double Do You Use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It depends... I have LP 104s for cave dives and a couple of sets of AL 80s for the ocean. I also have a set of 95s that don't really work well for anything. They're okay for a second cave dive when the shop is too far to go for fills, but that's about it.

Interesting that "other" is the most common response (almost equal to all others combined). I wonder what the result would have been if there have been separate options for 72s and Al80s.

Interesting that "other" is the most common response (almost equal to all others combined). I wonder what the result would have been if there have been separate options for 72s and Al80s.

I suppose if you combined the LP85's/HP100's and the LP104/108's/HP130's it would show those as pretty common overall. What I find interesting is the love 'em or hate 'em towards the 95's.

And I am surprised at the number using the 72's. I need to double up the 4 I have now. :)

And I am surprised at the number using the 72's. I need to double up the 4 I have now. :)

You should. They aren't much for serious diving but they are great for fun dives that could be done in a large single tank. I have a BC for single tank diving and a BP/W for doubles. If I'm going for a easy dive and don't need a lot of gas, I take the 72's more often than the single. It lets me practice trim, buoyancy, and things like valve drills. I feel that it helps me with my larger tanks without all of the weight.

I dive them in a wetsuit with no lead, so they aren't much heavier than my BC/HP100 and 12# of lead.

I wreck dive around the US Northeast and down to NC. After a few years, or decades, you aquire a few sets of tanks, in my case I grab the right tank for the dive.

The right tool for the job
Tanks.jpg

From left to right: Steel 72's, Aluminum 80's, Steel 100's, Steel 120's.

I love my vintage 72's for anything down to about 120'. I, and my LDS, have no problem filling them to 2500/2600, the 80's go in the same range, the 100's for down to 180, and the 120's only for deeper as I respect my back.

I use both AL80's and HP100's

I use Faber 12.2L 232bar steel doubles. I think the [-]overseas [/-] US equivalent is HP100s.

I like them as they trim out well and I can get two or three dives out of them. :)

Me too, but mine are Heisers not Fabers. I don't suppose it helps the op though.

I really can't understand the reasoning for the plethora of US cylinder sizes/pressures, backgas cylinders here are invariably steel, and come in 7, 10, 12 or 15ltrs - pick the size that gives you the amount of gas you need.

I started off with Worthington 85's but they were a bit heavy in the water, and didn't have enough gas for thirds with my bigger cylindered buddies, so I traded them for Faber 95's.

I love them for backmount, but they really sucked as a sidemount cylinder...got way too butt-light at the end of the dive.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom