DOT tank transportation laws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A local dive instructor was hauling a trailer load of doubles sets to a deco class when he was pulled over by minnesota state hwy patrol and ticketed for carrying more than the max of 4 scuba tanks.

Is there any truth behind that regulation, I have searched the online databases with no luck.

I would like to make a tank rack that fits the receiver on my little car but I fear that it would be illegal to have cylinders outside the vehicle. Anyone know about the legality of this. Of course the rack would be made of steel and be totally enclosed with amuminum sheet .090" sheet metal and have the applicable warnings but would I need to do anything else.

Any other tank transportation laws I need to know about. Thanks

This has come up before and a search may get you some quick information. As I recall there are limits.

That receiver mounted cylinder rack scares the crap out of me.

Pete

A local dive instructor was hauling a trailer load of doubles sets to a deco class when he was pulled over by minnesota state hwy patrol and ticketed for carrying more than the max of 4 scuba tanks.

Is there any truth behind that regulation, I have searched the online databases with no luck.
Ummmm...at the risk of being unhelpful, I suggest you call the Minnesota State Police and ask them. They might lie to you, true. But I suspect you may get a more valid answer from them than from the internet. Use their non-emergency number, in the phonebook.

I would like to make a tank rack that fits the receiver on my little car but I fear that it would be illegal to have cylinders outside the vehicle. Anyone know about the legality of this. Of course the rack would be made of steel and be totally enclosed with amuminum sheet .090" sheet metal and have the applicable warnings but would I need to do anything else.
In an accident you would potentially have tanks bouncing all over the highway. I suspect they would take a dim view of this, and have no sense of humor whatever. Since you already have a receiver on your little car, I suggest that you instead look at a little trailer to fit that little receiver. They make them to fit motorcycles, I'm sure you can find one that will be the right size for your car, and it will have a wiring harness etc. to make it legal to tow. Plus, assuming it is enclosed, it will be safer for everyone on the road than a jury-rigged tank rack external to your car which has been stuck in your tow hitch receiver.

Any other tank transportation laws I need to know about. Thanks
It would pay to go to the webpage of the Minnesota Department of Transportation and search the website for laws pertaining to towing loads. Other pertinent information might be available at your Department of Licensing website here:
MN Minnesota dmv department of motor vehicles

Be careful. Ad hockery mixed with high pressure tanks can get real interesting real fast. :wink:

Doc

There is definitely an interstate limit (in max volume) regulated by the federal DOT.
Hope fully someone can point to the correct document, I am not sure where it is ( and I would like to know).

I believe that to reach the limit is somewhere around 8 (80 cu ft tanks), but you need to double check, since I am not at all sure. Edit: I guess that number is probably very wrong.

In addition to federal regulations you may have regulations from the state DOT.
Think what truckers have to go through when transporting dangerous or over-sized cargo across several states.

That receiver mounted cylinder rack scares the crap out of me.

Pete

Yeah... I totally agree.

For those of you up north this thread gets into the Canadian Regulation

Try this. Post 10 seems to zero in on something applicable.

Pete

DOT allows you to transport up to 1000 lbs total weight of high pressure cylinders without special hazmat considerations.

Anytime high pressure cylinders, valved, with a total weight of 1001 lbs or more (about 28 SCUBA cylinders) are being transported you must follow the following:
-transported by licensed hazmat driver
-vehicle must be labeled on all 4 corners
-carry no passengers

I am a PSI Inpector Instructor. I don't have the exact referance quote right now and since I am leaving on a dive trip tomorrow night, I don't have the time to look for it. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom