DOT tank transportation laws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just found out about this thread tonight and read through the entire thing. I was wondering when something like this would happen. True - the DOT largely only regulates interstate commerce, but since many states adopt the DOT laws verbatim, it is largely the law of the land. True - there is an exemption for personal use. But if the transporter is selling the contents, then it is commerce and not personal use. True - there are exemptions for a certain amount of cylinders. But the thread discusses a large variance in quantity. The only way to find this out for sure is to write a letter to the DOT and you never - ever - never/ever do that unless you are willing to abide by their answer. The reality of the situation is that there is not much difference between a dive store transporting tanks to a dive location and one of the major gas producers transporting cylinders to a plumbing supply house. There is absolutely no question that the major gas producer is required to follow the HAZMAT laws and they are placarded, hazmat bills of lading, training, etc. But it is real difficult to differentiate between what they are doing and what the dive store is doing. Both the major gas producer and the dive store own the tanks (cylinders) and are selling the contents. (ergo "commerce") There is absolutely no doubt that if I am carrying my own 2-3 tanks in the trunk of my car to the beach that I am exempt. But there appears to be some doubt about when the quantity gets to an amount above a certain quantity (let the games begin) and if the company/person transporting the tanks is in the business of "commerce". I agree with one of the earlier writers - pay the fine.

Thanks for the update, I guess those of us in "commerce" of any kind have a real problem.

Thanks for the update, I guess those of us in "commerce" of any kind have a real problem.

IMHO not really. My neighbor is a state patrol LEO. I asked him (all of the state's LEO in Ohio are DOT "trained") and he said that scuba tanks arent included in the regulations. I know that he is wrong, but I am not going to let him know that. I think that most LEO's dont really know what the regulations say,so they arent going to fine you. The problem would arise if you had an accident and it invovled the tanks being carried in the motor vehicle. If you had to go out and get an DOT/ICC ident #, Haz mat CDL, hazmat insurance, hazmat training, manifests etc etc, it would put most of the LDS and instructors out of business.

IMHO not really. My neighbor is a state patrol LEO. I asked him (all of the state's LEO in Ohio are DOT "trained") and he said that scuba tanks arent included in the regulations. I know that he is wrong, but I am not going to let him know that. I think that most LEO's dont really know what the regulations say,so they arent going to fine you. The problem would arise if you had an accident and it invovled the tanks being carried in the motor vehicle. If you had to go out and get an DOT/ICC ident #, Haz mat CDL, hazmat insurance, hazmat training, manifests etc etc, it would put most of the LDS and instructors out of business.
... climbs onto soapbox...
Ahem....
If we have to depend on LEO ignorance, or, worse, institutional corruption to do reasonable things that fall well within what should be "freedom," we have a real problem. The web of administrative "law" that has been woven by the bureaucracy is way out of control; it's damn near impossible to do anything without violating some nit or nat from OSHA, DOT, FAA, BATF, IRS etc., etc., ad nauseum. This system breeds abuse and corruption. Don't like what Joe said? Prosecute him for a building code violation. Or squeeze a little baksheesh out of him to ignore it...
Personally I'd like to dump the entire "regulatory" empire; if a law ain't worth the time and effort to get it through congress or the legislature, it ain't worth being "law."
... steps back down ...
Rick

... climbs onto soapbox...
Ahem....
If we have to depend on LEO ignorance, or, worse, institutional corruption to do reasonable things that fall well within what should be "freedom," we have a real problem. The web of administrative "law" that has been woven by the bureaucracy is way out of control; it's damn near impossible to do anything without violating some nit or nat from OSHA, DOT, FAA, BATF, IRS etc., etc., ad nauseum. This system breeds abuse and corruption. Don't like what Joe said? Prosecute him for a building code violation. Or squeeze a little baksheesh out of him to ignore it...
Personally I'd like to dump the entire "regulatory" empire; if a law ain't worth the time and effort to get it through congress or the legislature, it ain't worth being "law."
... steps back down ...
Rick

Every law goes though congress. You got to be kidding. Congress works pretty long hours already. I think it is 136 days per year. And now you want those poor people to work longer than the average American. I think I would watch what I say, they my tap your phones and maybe even give ya a free tour of Gitmo for crimes against congress.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom