Scuba Club Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Le Thon Montreal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My review of Scuba Club Cozumel :

The (sad) truth about ScubaClub Cozumel for a first-time experience

I'm back from a week of diving in Cozumel at the Scuba Club Cozumel (SCC) dive resort so here's my review:

THE COST : $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
They call themselves an "All-inclusive Resort", but it's not really one. You can have a package including 5 days of 2 tank boat dives (but excluding the C-53 Wreck dive), meals and room. But no drinks are included, not even soft drinks, and you have to buy your plane tickets separately et take a transportation to the hotel and back, not included. They also "suggest" such a big amount of tips for their staff that adds a lot to the overall price of your vacation.

So overall, it costs a lot of money to spend a week there. If you're really rich and you absolutely don't care about value for money than you might consider it. If money is of any consideration to you, I would think twice about it.

TIPS : An important part of your vacation cost. Here's what they "suggest" (and they tell you about it quite a few times) :
Waiters and restaurant staff : 8-10 US$ per day / per guest
Chambermaids: 4-5 US$ per day / per guest
Divemasters: 6-8 US$ per day / per guest
Boat Crew: 6-8 US$ per day / per guest

It's true and I'm not making this up. It's printed on a sheet they give you when you arrive! (I have the sheet and a picture of it)

Think about it. Let's say you do as they say and pay the Divemaster 7$/day/guest (They say 6-8$). The divemaster handled an average of 8 divers each day. 8 divers X7$ X6 days (they work 6 days a week) makes 336$ US$ a week in tips. In Mexico, that's a BIG salary. And it's not as if they were working their asses off! Our guide Miguel was OK in pointing out interesting things here and there but that's about it. He did not really look out for the divers quite often.

You can do the math with the other employees, and you will come to this conclusion : They don't pay their employees, you pay them with those insane tips. I don't mind tipping for good service, but I don't like having to pay employees for their regular job when it should be included in the fairly high price of my "all-included" vacation.

Chambermaids : 8$ / room / day? Really? Out of 6 days, 2 times the room has not been made at 3 pm. That's not great service.

The only exception : The boat crew. The suggested tip is OK because they are 3 by boat and they provide great service, help, change your tank between dives, etc. They derserve it.

To close on the cost section, there's also the 2.50$ tax for each day. It's OK and mandatory, but you have to pay in cash and it's another extra cost that should be included in the overall cost for the week. Just annoying.

THE DIVING :
Diving in Cozumel is great so you will dive great sites. The problem is that you will have to take a long boat ride every day to dive. It goes from 50 minutes to 75 minutes to get to the Palancar sites. We never got past that. Average is about 65 minutes.

Another thing, you will know which site you'll be diving when you get on the boat, never before. I had sites I wanted to go but I had to go where they decided, and I did some sites 2 times, and Paradise 3 times.

I spent most of my dives (10 of 14) on the Scuba II boat, a real piece of junk. Small, with an engine so noisy you have to shout if you want to have a conversation during the ride. One time, we had to wait for the crew to repair the engine before going back to shore. There's also another boat called Coral Diver, same model as scuba II, another piece of junk, the engine went out one day and our boat had to tow her back to shore. We endend up with all their divers with all the gear piled up over ours.

Here's the deal. If you're a big group or you're a regular client of SCC for many years and give good tips, you'll be on one of the big beautiful boats. I had the big boat 1 day in my week (too few people on SCUBA II) and it made quite the difference. Bigger, faster, more space, quiet. But since we were only 2 first-time clients, and my friend is only OWD with less experience, we were on the piece of junk Scuba II all week.

On the positive side, being so far of Palancar and the good sites means that SCC is near the downtown area, so you can grab a cab or take a long walk and go to the shops, bars and restaurants the rest of the day.

Also, be aware that they take anybody to any dive. So if you're a new diver struggling with your buoyancy, you should ask for shallow dives. If not, they can take you to 90 feet on your first dive, ready or not.

And now my biggest complaint : The C-53 Wreck. This dive was the main reason I went to SCC. The dive is near the resort and it's a beautiful wreck with penetration at 70 feet. I wanted to do it at least once, maybe twice.

On my second day, I asked when were we going to do it? They told me that it's an extra dive (70$) in the afternoon, not included in my 2 boat dives/day package and that they need at least 4 divers, by groups of 4 for a Divemaster. So I gave my name to do it, but for the rest of the week I was alone on the list or with 1 other diver. So I was never able to dive it.

The stupid reason for this : They want to have only 4 divers per DM on this dive. So you understand that they don't want to pay an extra DM for those dive and it's an opportunity for them to take some extra cash from you. They could easily manage that : They could give the chance to every diver to do the wreck once in their week, and have an extra DM for those dives. I've been to many wrecks in various places and they had an extra DM with us, no problem. But not with SCC.

THE RESORT:
Restaurants : Strange thing, this is a resort dedicated to divers, but the restaurant doesn't seem to care about the diver's schedule!
Breakfast : You can have coffee from 6:35, but you can't eat anything before 7:00. I took a banana at 6:45 and the owner told me I had to wait for 7:00. At first I thought it was a joke but he was serious!
So you wait until 7:00 but at 6:55 a line is forming at the buffet so you better get in that line before it's too late. They ask you to chose the meal for your lunch and dinner, then you get to eat.
You have to eat fast, because you have to be all set for the boat at 7:50. So in 50 minutes you have to choose your breakfast, eat, go back to your room grab your things (and hopefully go to the bathroom), get your gear and be ready.

Lunch : Being on the Scuba II junk, we came back from our dives at about 1:30 pm. They serve lunch until 2:30 pm. Yes, that's it. You have to rush to the rinse tanks, rince everything, put the gear in your locker, go to the room, put your clothes/wetsuit to dry, take a shower and be at the restaurant table, in less than an our. Food is OK though.

Dinner: That's the only meal where you won't be stressed out. If you eat relatively fast, that is. And if you do a night dive, you will come back at 9 pm, when the restaurant closes. They will make a special service for the night divers, but you have to eat fast or ignore the fact that the staff looks at you and make you feel bad about extending their day. You only have 3 choices of meal, but it's mostly quite good.

Rooms: The rooms are ok. If you're a long-time client, you'll have one of the big rooms with ocean view. We had the small room in a corner with a very limited view. Also, there was so much dampness in the room that sleeping was diffcult, I kept waking up because the damp sheets were so uncomfortable. 2 days out of 6, the rooms were not made at 3 pm when I came back for a nap. The chambermaids came while I was sleeping so I told them it was too late. Again, it's a resort for DIVERS, we are on the water from 8 am to 3 pm. Plenty of time to make the rooms.

There is no beach so you have to climb down a ladder if you want to go swimming or snorkeling. You also have to pay attention because the SCC pier is located in the swimming area, so you have to watch out for boats. There's also a pool but we used it only once because it's quite small and the water is too hot.

Last thing about the resort : The clients average age is about 55. If you're in your twenties, you might feel a bit out of place.

THE CONCLUSION :
If you're a really rich, older, expert diver/photograph, long-time client of SCC, or with a group and giving lots of tips, expect to be treated well and have a good week.

If not, you could be in for a frustrating week of diving and wishing you had read a review telling you all about it!

Last edited:
My review of Scuba Club Cozumel :

The (sad) truth about ScubaClub Cozumel for a first-time experience

I'm back from a week of diving in Cozumel at the Scuba Club Cozumel (SCC) dive resort so here's my review:

THE COST : $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
... you have to buy your plane tickets separately...
Seriously? You expected a dive resort to pay for your plane tickets?

If you know of one that will, please post their contact information here. We'll send them more business than they can handle.

Last edited:
You seem to have a problem with unreasonable expections and insufficient research.

You probably should save your $$$$ for a drysuit.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Obviously SCC isn't for you. I've enjoyed SCC and wasn't disturbed by any of the items you mention. I did research before going and knew what to expect beforehand. My trips there have been delightful. It's too bad they singled you out for such poor treatment after hearing so many other people love the place so much.

You may be happier at Iberostar or something like that. That's why there are many resorts at many locations up and down the coast, at many price levels, all over the Caribbean and Mexico. Best of luck in finding a resort that fulfills your needs.

We do hotel coz 200 yds down the road from scuba club for many of the reasons you don't like scuba club. it is cheaper, all inclusive including drinks, food decent, and an open pier so you can choose your own dive outfit be it cattle boats, slow boats, fast boats, etc. they also got the biggest pool on the isle.

You can't please all the people all the time. If alcohol were included, people who don't drink it would resent paying higher prices to subsidize those who do.

I agree, most dive resorts I've dealt with don't book your airfare for you. If you want to go that route, maybe consider booked through Maduro, Caradonna or another travel agency?

Those long boat rides out don't sound fun. Wonder how long the ride is on one of the 'big beautiful boats?'

I appreciate a critical review now & again; sounds like there are issues prospective customers should know about, and those who don't mind at least understand what they're in for, and those who do can go with a group that has more clout, or go elsewhere?

Did many others complain about the pacing/scheduling of the meals? I would've thought at older crowd might be fussier about pressure to hurry & get places fast.

What other dive resorts have to used before? I'm just curious as to what you might be comparing SCC to. I've never dealt with SCC, so I've no direct experience with them.

Richard.

$2.50 tax each dive???

MARINE PARK FEES: Effective Janurary 1, 2014 Mexican law requires a $2.50 US per person per day marine park access fee, cash only, not included in dive prices.

I assume all dive ops are handling this the same.

MARINE PARK FEES: Effective Janurary 1, 2014 Mexican law requires a $2.50 US per person per day marine park access fee, cash only, not included in dive prices.

I assume all dive ops are handling this the same.

All dive ops are not handling it this way. Some pay the cash and include it. I've only dove with 2 ops in Cozumel and it was included. In Puerto Morelos they have the same thing and it has always been included in the dive price. Penny ante way to get a few dollars.

Scathing review.

A few mentionables:

I do find the tip sheet to be quite rude. I have never seen that before, or perhaps never noticed.

Diving Paradise 3 times is quite sucky, a little lazy.

Their website talks about their "beach" a few times. Calling it so is a bit of a stretch.

No mention of the extra fee for the C-53 on their website either.

The 7:00am breakfast before an 8:30am departure seems ample. Not sure why you were on the pier at 7:50, and personally, I like lunch pretty quickly after returning from diving, so an hour or so there seems ok to me.

The rides to the sites can be long with many dive ops on Cozumel - the waters are often very rough, and 60 min is not uncommon to get to Palancar or thereabouts from that part of the island. Too bad that you were on what sounds like exceptionally poor boats.

I had heard some good things about SCC, although I have never used them.

Sorry to hear that your expectations were not met, and thanks for the review.

PS: Curious to know what other dive destinations you have been to, for the sake of comparison.

Back
Top Bottom