Donsol or Southern Leyte for Whale Shark?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trigger01

Reaction score
Which dive site is best for whale sharks interaction :eyebrow:, Donsol or Southern Leyte around end april/may? TQ.

guess it depends on whether you prefer snorkeling (Donsol) or scuba diving (S. Leyte) with them.

I agree with Pakman ..which one would you prefer...swim with the whalesharks at Donsol ( been there 3 times and I treasure every whaleshark encounter)? Or you can dive and see the whaleshark at all angles at Southern Leyte.I havent been to Southern Leyte however my dive buddies and I are planning to go there.

ps. Pakman, would you know any dive operators in S. Leyte?:)

I agree with Pakman ..which one would you prefer...swim with the whalesharks at Donsol ( been there 3 times and I treasure every whaleshark encounter)? Or you can dive and see the whaleshark at all angles at Southern Leyte.I havent been to Southern Leyte however my dive buddies and I are planning to go there.

ps. Pakman, would you know any dive operators in S. Leyte?:)
Hi Celina, we're going in February 08. Sogod Bay Scuba Resort, Philippines » Home or Peter's Dive Resort Philippines: Scuba Diving in Sogod Bay, Southern Leyte

Celina, just what Caloy said. Tough to say which is a better encounter. I've heard arguments for both... Mind you, in Sogod, you could be spending a lot of time searching them out, then everyone jumps in as the bangka tries to position itself in the path of the whaleshark. Hit or miss... Repeat until you run out of air or time... I think the Malaysian/ Singaporean group that went after us had some amazing encounters where they had multiple whale sharks circling them (can't seem to find that thread).

seems like Donsol more promising to encounter Whaleshark. on worries on low air or time.

Celina, just what Caloy said. Tough to say which is a better encounter. I've heard arguments for both... Mind you, in Sogod, you could be spending a lot of time searching them out, then everyone jumps in as the bangka tries to position itself in the path of the whaleshark. Hit or miss... Repeat until you run out of air or time... I think the Malaysian/ Singaporean group that went after us had some amazing encounters where they had multiple whale sharks circling them (can't seem to find that thread).

Hi Pak.."I think the Malaysian/ Singaporean group that went after us had some amazing encounters where they had multiple whale sharks circling them (can't seem to find that thread)" ....were u referring to Sogod Bay?

Can't comment on the S.Leyte area (not yet, anyway) But Donsol was pretty amazing. I swam with 14 whalesharks in about an hour, and I called off the boat because I was just too darn tired! (I had the boat to myself)

I went during March last year, there were lots of whalesharks and plenty of touching distance encounters! The down side is that due to the plankton, the vis is pretty poor (Maybe 5 - 8 metres) Not that it matters if you are an arms length away...

Z...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom