Donning a BP/W with crotch strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkHerm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi!

When I started diving a couple of years ago, I brought a Seaquest/Aqualung ProQD BCD... It was (and is) ok but I never felt really happy with it. I always wanted a BP/W but it is not easy to find a competent dealer here in Germany and if you do, prices are usually way to high... I only dive singles and only recreational...

Yesterday UPS delivered my order from Scubatoys :D A Dive-rite SS plate, a dive-rite harness with 2" crotch strap, an Oxycheq Mach V 30lb. I assembled everything and roughly adjusted it without too much problems. I put the crotch strap loop on the same side as waist strap release buckle so it cannot slip off (as in the instructions)...

I read some previous threads about donning a BP/W but they dealt with how to get in and off the shoulder straps. But how to don the rig with the crotch stap?
At my local dive sites there are usually table that are in waist height. On these I assemble my rig and it won't be a problem to get my arms through the shoulder straps. But after going through the shoulder straps with my arms, there is no chance to go through the crotch strap loop with my leg. So I think, I have to go through the crotch stap loop first with my right leg. But that will not be to ease when the rig sits on a table and not on the ground... How do you do that? Is a quick release an option for the crotch strap as this would permit to go through the shoulder straps first, then standing up and then clip the crotch strap while standing ?!

Thanks for any help on this very rookie question :)

I use my BP/W set up with doubles only, but that is my preference. Because of the weight, I can not don these straight form the ground. I will usually use the back of my SUV, a bench, or a table of some sort. When I get into my harness, I have to sort of squat down a little to get my arms in. Once in, to get the crotch strap, I have to step away from the table with the cylinders. Because of the weight & balance of the cylinders, I can not just reach down through & grab the crotch strap. What works for me is to place 1 foot slightly ahead of the other (wide stance) & then get the strap to swinging. When it swings up between my legs (not very lady- like I know:blinking:,... but it works), I grab it, get the cylinders back onto the table ASAP to take the weight off my shoulders & then work it onto the waist strap & finish preparing my gear for the dive. There are some 1" straps that do have QR's.

Hi!

When I started diving a couple of years ago, I brought a Seaquest/Aqualung ProQD BCD... It was (and is) ok but I never felt really happy with it. I always wanted a BP/W but it is not easy to find a competent dealer here in Germany and if you do, prices are usually way to high... I only dive singles and only recreational...

Yesterday UPS delivered my order from Scubatoys :D A Dive-rite SS plate, a dive-rite harness with 2" crotch strap, an Oxycheq Mach V 30lb. I assembled everything and roughly adjusted it without too much problems. I put the crotch strap loop on the same side as waist strap release buckle so it cannot slip off (as in the instructions)...

I read some previous threads about donning a BP/W but they dealt with how to get in and off the shoulder straps. But how to don the rig with the crotch stap?
At my local dive sites there are usually table that are in waist height. On these I assemble my rig and it won't be a problem to get my arms through the shoulder straps. But after going through the shoulder straps with my arms, there is no chance to go through the crotch strap loop with my leg. So I think, I have to go through the crotch stap loop first with my right leg. But that will not be to ease when the rig sits on a table and not on the ground... How do you do that? Is a quick release an option for the crotch strap as this would permit to go through the shoulder straps first, then standing up and then clip the crotch strap while standing ?!

Thanks for any help on this very rookie question :)

By "not slip off" you seem to be saying you want to put your leg through the already assembled waist belt and crotch strap kind of like a pair of trousers? That's not the way I do it. Just detach it and let it hang. Get into the shoulder straps. Stand up, bend over slightly to grab the crotch strap. Put the waist belt strap through it and then tighten everything up.

I think the key to you question is that you can unbuckle the waist to deal with the crotch strap or other issues at any time. When threaded correctly, the shoulder straps have enough resistance to hold everything in place.

I found 2 ways to don the BP/W by myself. The first is exactly as Tammy describes (setting it on an SUV or bench). I find if I lay out the crotch strap, I can normally just read down and grab it before I stand up. If I forget and stand, I do the same tail swing she describes.

The second method is the he man show off overhead delivery. Approach the BP/W from behind, grab the sides of the plate with your hands inside the straps. Swing the whole rig up and over, allowing it to slide down your arms onto your back. When done right, you impress the guys and gals. When done wrong, you hit you buddy or end up with a hernia. Don't try with doubles!

In either case, take care to check your hose positions before donning. Clip off that long hose so the second does not bang into the ground or get caught under a strap. Nothing worse than getting all strapped in and finding you hose routing messed up.

Well the way you are doing it sounds like alot of trouble when it should not be. What I mean by trouble is stepping into the crotch strap.

Undo the crotch strap from the waist belt and let it all hang loose. There is no need to step into anything.

If all possible prop your rig on the back of a bumper, trunk or table. Or a big rock, treestump log...As several have mentioned.....

Now get your buddy to help you if you need them to. Now put one hand on the rig and slide the free arm in the harness loop....then swing the other..adjust what you need and then stand up...lean forward slightly so you can reach for the crotch strap...loop as needed...

I have done this from a seated position on the ground.. Sliding my arms in as usual and then rolling to my knees and have my buddy help me up...

With doubles...this is a little harder to do alone if you do not have a high position to get into your rig. I drag my rig to the water ( if shore diving) And set up in water..shallow enough to stand but deep enough to kneel and let the bladder do the work..inflate just enough to let the rig float...and get in ...

Avoid the superman swing over your head....you will hurt your self for sure and possibly someone else.

Yep, the hip swing is where it is at. There was an older fellow I dove with once who used a long string attached to the crotch strap and his waist strap. He'd use it to pull up the crotch strap and then untie the string and throw it in his gear bag. Self sufficient and lessened the risk of toppling.

Alternatively if you're real friendly with your dive buddy they can grab it for you. But that isn't very self sufficient.

I've got a DR SS plate, Trans plate harness and Oxycheque 30# wing as well - has the 2" crotch strap too. I've not used mine with double either, only with my HP100's or AL80's so donning is much easier than with doubles, but still a PITA to reach down and try to grab the strap so I either lean far enough forward bending at the waist to have the strap reachable or do the "swing" method the others have described depending on how thick a layer of undergarment I have under my dry suit. For warm water diving I'm generally in shorts and a rash guard so flexibility isn't as much an issue.

Sounds like you're going about this a bit the wrong way! I always attach the crotch strap AFTER I've got the shoulders secured.

I have one of the Husky work tables for setting up doubles. When I get into the harness I get my hands through the shoulder straps and squat way down to slide my arms all the way into the shoulder straps. When the shoulder straps are in place I push the tanks back - further onto the table until I can partly sit on it. If you make sure the crotch strap is in place hanging over the edge of the table before starting the whole process, it should now be possible to reach down between your legs and grab the crotch strap without leaning forward much.

Henrik

I think from your question you are rigging just a little differently than the others. You said that you put the crotch strap inside of the buckle, while it works, that could in certain cases could cause a hazard in an emergency doffing. Placed on the non buckle side of the webbing allows the crotch strap to be undone when the buckle is released,thus removing an entanglement point. It is just a hip thrust away in getting it on.

Back
Top Bottom