Donning a BP/W with crotch strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took my crotch strap carefully out of its wrapping and dropped it in the trash. Maybe some people need them, for some reason I am unaware of, but I don't.

I think from your question you are rigging just a little differently than the others. You said that you put the crotch strap inside of the buckle, while it works, that could in certain cases could cause a hazard in an emergency doffing. Placed on the non buckle side of the webbing allows the crotch strap to be undone when the buckle is released,thus removing an entanglement point.
IMO, there is no entanglement hazard even if the crotchstrap is behind/inside of the buckle. Once the buckle is fully opened, it should slide very easily through the loop of the crotchstrap.
I have done this from a seated position on the ground.. Sliding my arms in as usual and then rolling to my knees and have my buddy help me up...
This is my preferred method of donning my single tank rig. I don't need a buddy, though. It's also how all my dive buddies do it. Once I stand up, the crotchstrap is dangling between my legs. I simply reach down, grab the crotchstrap, and slide the loop over the waist harness buckle. No big deal.
I took my crotch strap carefully out of its wrapping and dropped it in the trash. Maybe some people need them, for some reason I am unaware of, but I don't.
That seems like a waste of a perfectly good piece of gear. I'd be happy to take the unused crotchstrap off of your hands (if someone hasn't already taken away the trash). I believe we live in the same area. :)

I also only dive singles with my BP/W. I tried it with and without the crouch strap and found that strap to be an unnecessary PITA. Without the crouch strap. the rig might want to ride up a bit on the surface, but not to the point where it is unmanageable. I just pull down a bit on the waist strap and it is fine.

"Just detach it and let it hang. Get into the shoulder straps. Stand up, bend over slightly to grab the crotch strap. Put the waist belt strap through it and then tighten everything up.
"

agree----does not get any simpler...

I think from your question you are rigging just a little differently than the others. You said that you put the crotch strap inside of the buckle, while it works, that could in certain cases could cause a hazard in an emergency doffing. Placed on the non buckle side of the webbing allows the crotch strap to be undone when the buckle is released,thus removing an entanglement point. It is just a hip thrust away in getting it on.
Many would consider this misinformation, including myself.

These should help!
DIR-diver.com - Adjust the backplate
http://gue.com/?q=en/Equipment/Config/index.html

Thank you very much for all the input... I think I got a better understanding on how to don the rig!

Another question. Do you put the waist release buckle on your right or left waist strap? I watched the scubatoys assembly video and they suggest to put it on the right strap to provide a left hand release. The reason they give for this is to be able to figure out by touch if you have grabbed your harness buckle (left hand release) or your weight belt (right hand release). From the pictures at BAUE for example, they seem to favor a right hand release...

so, do you put the release buckle on your right or left waist stap? right or left hand release?

your help is really very very much appreciated!
Thanks!

You must be referring to these images.
Equipment Images

That is a standardization of the HOG aka Hogarthian gear configuration and is set up that way for a reason. Everything has been tested, checked, rechecked and modified into that form by some of the most experienced divers in the world. It is the configuration "most" back plate and wing divers use. The system is the one I personally use and find it works very well for our style of diving. To be clear, my buckle is mounted on my left waist strap, passes through the crotch strap winding up on my right side.

My buckle is set on the right side with a right hand release:
like this http://dir-diver.com/pics/backplate/waistbelt_large.jpg

It is set far right so I know exactly where it is and in the heat of things I cannot mistakenly release it when I reach for the weight belt( when I wear one. )

reason is it is a right hand pull. I usually have a light in my left hand so the right hand is free. The weight belt goes on after I have adjusted my harness and crotch strap. This way there are no obstructions if I have to release the weight belt.

I place the buckle more to the left side opposite my rig buckle and leave it as a right hand pull.

I just simply lean over and reach between my legs, grab the crotch strap loop and slide the crotch strap over the waist buckle. Your issue is you need to leave the "loop" in the crotch strap large enough to slip over the waist strap buckle but small enough that it does not fall off easily, a happy medium.

The buckle does go on the left, the free end is on the right, the crotch strap loop goes on the left waist side so the waist buckle acts as a catch, I believe your instructions probably gave it that way also. When the waist strap is cinched down the buckle is not on center but well to the right of your belly button, the crotch strap is slipped to on center, knife on the left, captive etc.

An overhead don will swing the crotch strap up through my legs and I simply grab it and slip it over the waist strap buckle, done dealio.

N

I really must be misunderstanding this discussion but it sounds as if the OP has fastened his crotch strap first, is trying to step into the strap, and then insert his arms in the harness. This would be somewhat akin to trying to jump into a pair of pants, both legs at one time, while holding them by the belt. I will go back and re-read, maybe after a cocktail it will make more sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom