Doing rebreather class next year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not other divers🤣. But really its about being on a boat full of divers and knowing I have been deeper.
I don’t know if you’re trolling or just naive, but
After reading this, I don’t think you’re ready for technical diving, you need to have a different mindset for tech diving other than my dick is bigger than your dick.

500 feet. I understand the desire. You are embarking on a multi-year journey (hopefully - do not rush it). That depth requires a lot of things including someone that should be in the water with you. Not to mention sufficient bailout if the science project on your back fails. While I got into rebreather diving for longer access to the wrecks, I have done a few stupid deep dives. Been there done that, more interesting things to see at much shallower depths and still taking advantage of the CCR.

Support is a mix bag. You will find regardless of your LDS, you are in a different league and will have to do many things for yourself. And when you travel, you will need to be even more self-sufficient. I value rebreathers that keep the dive vacation going. Redundancy is about accepting something is not working, but the week is not cancelled (or I bring enough spare parts to field replace)- IMHO.

BTW - Welcome (soon) to the club.

I personally wouldn't consider the prism. It's not the greatest of units, but more importantly you're at the mercy of dealing with Hollis. And their customer service sucks.
Edit: A couple of other things. Choosing a unit because your local shop can teach on them isn't the ideal reason. Many people's local shops actually suck. The guys in there talk a big game and sound like awesome tech divers, but you see them in the water and realize otherwise. That's obviously a generalization, but there are many, many other considerations other than if your local shop is an option.
Secondly, as a whole PADI tech classes suck. PADI is pretty much a joke in the tech world. There will be people that argue, and there are big exceptions such as Capt Jim Wyatt. As a whole though, most people stray away from padi for tech classes.

I don’t know if you’re trolling or just naive, but
After reading this, I don’t think you’re ready for technical diving, you need to have a different mindset for tech diving other than my dick is bigger than your dick.
Sounds like a fatality waiting to happen.

Not other divers🤣. But really its about being on a boat full of divers and knowing I have been deeper.
Totally missed this comment at first, but either you're a troll or exceptionally naive. Chest thumping about depth you've attained is dumb and people like that are the ones that die on rebreathers. I'm kinda hoping you're trolling because that is a bad thought process for being a tech diver. It's about the journey. A very long multi-year journey. Not the end result. When I moved to a rebreather my dives came down quite a few notches to very basic dives. It took a while to get to the point I was doing bigger dives than prior to having a ccr.

We'll i've started ccr 5 years ago, after some twenty some oc years it was like relearning It all. In fact, i have a normoxic class scheduled in 2017, but asked to make it later because even with 50+ hours on the unit (inspiration), i've thought that it would be good take more time before pushing limits, next week i'll be doing the final dives of my ccr cave in Ginnie (on a Sidewinder), sĂł, as you can see it wasn't zero to hero, there were time involved, get training on one more unit, looking different things, and haven't yet finished my trimix. But the time involved let me know where i prefer the inspiration, where i prefer the Sidewinder, so it's not simply getting a PADI instructor because i wanna go to 500
Is about finding a GOOD instructor (i'm IANTD), who after some time will became as a mentor in further progress, showing that you is responsible for keeping yourself alive.
Until 2017 o have zero interest in caves, but time showed me how much fun i was missing, changing goals, and realizing that somethings are not worthy for

Regards

I personally wouldn't consider the prism. It's not the greatest of units, but more importantly you're at the mercy of dealing with Hollis. And their customer service sucks.
Edit: A couple of other things. Choosing a unit because your local shop can teach on them isn't the ideal reason. Many people's local shops actually suck. The guys in there talk a big game and sound like awesome tech divers, but you see them in the water and realize otherwise. That's obviously a generalization, but there are many, many other considerations other than if your local shop is an option.

Secondly, as a whole PADI tech classes suck. PADI is pretty much a joke in the tech world. There will be people that argue, and there are big exceptions such as Capt Jim Wyatt. As a whole though, most people stray away from padi for tech classes.
I am going with a unit because my local dive shop can service them. The training is not from the local shop as they do not offer the class for CCR let alone any tec classes.

Totally missed this comment at first, but either you're a troll or exceptionally naive. Chest thumping about depth you've attained is dumb and people like that are the ones that die on rebreathers. I'm kinda hoping you're trolling because that is a bad thought process for being a tech diver. It's about the journey. A very long multi-year journey. Not the end result. When I moved to a rebreather my dives came down quite a few notches to very basic dives. It took a while to get to the point I was doing bigger dives than prior to having a ccr.
Ditto

Not trolling at all and would not even be thumping my chest. But dont get me wrong I am not expecting to hit 500 feet the next day. This is a 10 year goal that I have had for 20 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom