Doing it Right

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for colors ... isn't the latest rage at Halcyon a pink wing?

A pink wing that my wife very much wanted me to get for her, until she saw the sticker, $960 after taxes in California (granted some goes to a cause) it's the same price as a non-pink. Once I finally get her situated it'll be in a DSS kit for only half the price, roughly. Not saying it's not a nice system, just not for her.

Last edited:
…Scubapro and dive Rite and Oxycheq "owe" their bp/wing lines to Halcyon, because Halcyon created this market...though I'm not sure "market" is the word I am going for here :)

There were several wings around long before Halcyon. My first wing was ripped out of a Watergill At-Pac in the late 1970s and modified to work on a standard blow-molded plastic pack. It was introduced in 1972. Attached is a scan from a 1978 Skin Diver Magazine showing a wing from SeaTec and my tired old At-Pac wing.

See: VDTdecalPage3 and scroll down to Water Gill AT-PAC

Maurice Fenzy developed the first ABLJ (Adjustable Buoyancy Life Jacket) in 1961. Ten years later Scubapro developed the Stabilizer Jacket specifically for Divers, and one year after that Water Gill introduced the innovative AT-PAC in 1972. The AT-PAC was the first of the Wings (this term is used to refer to a Buoyancy Compensator or Buoyancy Control Device with bladders placed on either side of the Diver's back). The AT-PAC also had integrated weight as a standard feature and was the first BC/BCD able to be inflated via low-pressure feed.

Attachments

• 1978 Wing.jpg
    1978 Wing.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 85
  • At-Pac Wing.jpg
    At-Pac Wing.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
boulderjoh:
If you are going to commit to DIR training, I suggest you learn more about it before purchasing any more equipment.

My equipment is modeled off of their philosophies.

boulderjoh:
As someone who has newly learned about DIR, you really should go to the DIR section of ScubaBoard and other areas and learn more about it. Your enthusiasm is commendable, and the enthusiasm of your friend is commendable, but both come with a risk. Many people have very strong anti-DIR feelings, and many people downright hate it, not for what it is in itself but by for the attitudes expressed by a minority of its adherents. Some people tend to get so psyched up about it that they they can't stop talking about how great it is and how wrong everyone else is for not being part of it. Such people tend to be prone to the kind of hyperbole that was present in your opening post. It really tends to tick some people off. Consequently, most seasoned DIR proponents prefer to keep a low profile and refrain from coming across as a zealot.

Maybe I miss-stated something, I am not saying in any form that it is the best and that every other form is inferior. I just feel that for ME...it is a GOOD fit.

Allow me to say this...I am not going to be on Reefs and Clear Oceans very much. Mainly I will be diving in the murky and or black waters of and around Charleston, SC. I will work for my great mentor/idol SaeJay on the side when I have time and when I have other free time, go hunting for artifacts, fossils, etc.

So that is why this type of training I think works best for me.

Sorry to confuse you.

SP R295/395 for octo, I like SP Jet Fins. Your stages are awesome and you will love them!!!

Sweet thanks!

If you want to be DIR I think the A700 wouldn't fit.
A DIR regulator should be easy to open and fix at depth.
OCTO is MANDATORY, DIR divers just use 2x the primary.

The A700 was a package that I purchased with the MK17 which is a sealed first stage. That is a MUST for diving in the ICWs around Charleston, Beaufort, etc. of South Carolina. From what I have been told the A700 is a really nice Second Stage reg.

There were several wings around long before Halcyon. My first wing was ripped out of a Watergill At-Pac in the late 1970s and modified to work on a standard blow-molded plastic pack. It was introduced in 1972. I have no idea if they invented the wing or not. Attached is a scan from a 1978 Skin Diver Magazine showing a wing from SeaTec.

See: VDTdecalPage3 and scroll down to Water Gill AT-PAC

Isn't the guy who set up Dive Rite the one who is credited with creating the Backplate that we use today?

A pink wing that my wife very much wanted me to get for her, until she saw the sticker, $960 after taxes in California (granted some goes to a cause) it's the same price as a non-pink. Once I finally get her situated it'll be in a DSS kit for only half the price, roughly. Not saying it's not a nice system, just not for her.

Is that for the whole kit or just the wing?

OP, your question about an "octo" makes me think you haven't taken a good look at the equipment essay on the GUE website -- I suggest you do so before your class (and preferably before buying any more gear).

Not true.

I know a couple of really experienced divers who dove for the military and have lots of certifications/dives under their belts that have taken on the DIR style of diving (just adapted/changed their approach in gear) which do not have a secondary reg on board for their standard gear which they use in the ICW's. You are only at 20's to maybe 30's of feet down so your ND Times are in the 300-500 min range roughly speaking. So technically if you had a malfunction with your reg, you could just slowly bob up to the surface with no ill effects.

I know it is my fault for not fully describing my situation of where/how/what I will be diving in. So I just take these posts that seem to bash or poke at my OP, as a "misunderstanding" of my actual situation.

Is that for the whole kit or just the wing?

It's the whole kit. The limited edition pink is a run of 500 units, inseperable from the complete system (which includes the Cinch system and the plate padding).

Ahh, did anybody else catch the part about who his idol is? I think you guys just got TROLLED!!! Too funny LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom