Doing it Right

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GUE is the best training agency in the world and everybody knows it.

Oh please. How can you possibly say GUE is a better training agency than PADI! PADI is the way the world learns to dive! Didn't you know that? GUE is for the folks who flunked the initial PADI OW test.

SP R295/395 for octo, I like SP Jet Fins. Your stages are awesome and you will love them!!!

How far can one really innovate the backplate and wing before they're reinventing the wheel?

I didn't say many ... I said several.

DSS tops my list ... I know Tobin personally, and have toured his facility. He's the consummate free-thinker and his products are the result of his own R&D.

Other alternatives, to my mind would be Golem, Oxycheq, Hollis, Hog/Edge ... heck, DiveRite's new wings look pretty nice to me.

Are you suggesting all those companies stole their designs from Halcyon?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
OK, you said innovative, not just alternative. What has oxycheq innovated...bad customer service? DiveRite gets my credit for SM units, but I don't see innovations there when it comes to BM, so not a Halcyon alternative. Hog/Edge doesn't make anything of their own, just rebranding stuff cheap, I don't see much innovation there.

So yes, there are alternative products. Yes, DSS is an innovative company.

When GUE began they used to say that they preferred to be small and did not seek to become a big agency like PADI and all their specialty courses. Now, of course, GUE offers Primer, Fundamentals and the long touted and delayed expensive OW class. As for minimalist gear, check out some of the items they sell;
Cinch_Kit09_web400.gif

Cinch system

Deluxe-Harness-Pads.jpg

Harness padding

Zipper_pocket_rig.jpg

Giant harness pocket

Gators01.jpg

Gators

ladies_front.jpg

T-shirts

20-heaterpacks_c400.jpg

Drysuit heater packs

GUE may make you a more competent dive buddy, but to call their approach minimalist is way off course. There is nothing new under the Sun. Everyone is in it for the money.

gue doesn't sell that stuff. I believe you're having trouble reading

I wouldn't call a limited run with a bit of pink camo, with a portion of the sales benefiting breast cancer research, a rage. I will say that the system is extremely nice! It comes with a compliment of accessories including weight pockets, bolt extenders for doubles, can light attachment, etc. If I had to buy a new BP/W today, I can't think of another system I would rather own (though in their standard colors, thanks).

If you want to be DIR I think the A700 wouldn't fit.
A DIR regulator should be easy to open and fix at depth.
OCTO is MANDATORY, DIR divers just use 2x the primary.

BEING CHEAP)
I don't agree that divers are penny pinchers. I think they became wiser buyers ,that's what Internet does, gives you more tools to negociate.Diving is expensive, the difference sometimes, sadly, is over the 1k mark, if you call peny pinching 1 000$, well you do have a lot of it. I shop around when I buy something as simple as shoes, why should I close my eyes and "trust" the dive shop when I give him my hard earned money to buy a 800$ set. Everyone in the dive industry is in it for the money, why can't scuba divers take care of their money? Nobody will do it for you.

Some LDS' sell over the MSRP, why shouldn't you check it beforehand.
Some don't have an Halcyon dealer near, and it's easier to get DiveRite, why would they be wrong in their choice?

HALCYON)
Halcyon gear is good. But I think it would be a fallacy to say that it's all made in the USA. Do you think your SMB or Wetnotes are made in the USA? I think not. Or SURELY not 100%. I love Halcyon, I have an Halcyon wing. But when you know dive gear is most of the time overpriced and halcyon is even more overpriced as well, it kinda puts it into a "luxury" section that sadly, some people can't afford.
A BP costs ME 60$ to make/ship, and they sell it over 100$, halcyon over 200$. It's just a piece of metal with an H on it.

MADE IN THE USA)
Sadly, that won't make me buy it more, sometimes it's more of a deterrent.
American cars : Pieces are made in Malysia and the whole pieces are assembled in the USA. Yet it's called an "American" Car.
Japanese Cars: Toyota works with local supplier and assembles in the USA. It's a true AMERICAN car, yet they call it "foreign":shakehead:

ORIGINAL POINT OF THE THREAD)
WE TOTALLY WENT OFF TRACK OF THE OP'S QUESTION PEOPLE :rofl3:

OP, your question about an "octo" makes me think you haven't taken a good look at the equipment essay on the GUE website -- I suggest you do so before your class (and preferably before buying any more gear).

Do you think your SMB or Wetnotes are made in the USA? I think not. Or SURELY not 100%.
Actually, I do, aside from the inflation related valves.

Back
Top Bottom