Doing it Right

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will work for my great mentor/idol SaeJay on the side when I have time and when I have other free time, go hunting for artifacts, fossils, etc.
:rofl3: That certainly explains a lot. SeaJay has been a great mentor to all of us--just ask him.

I know a couple of really experienced divers who dove for the military and have lots of certifications/dives under their belts that have taken on the DIR style of diving (just adapted/changed their approach in gear) which do not have a secondary reg on board for their standard gear which they use in the ICW's. You are only at 20's to maybe 30's of feet down so your ND Times are in the 300-500 min range roughly speaking. So technically if you had a malfunction with your reg, you could just slowly bob up to the surface with no ill effects.

Broken paradigm. If the style involves equipment standardization (DIR does), it needs to be standardized. That OOG protocol is wildly incompatible with a lot of diving, even within the recreational sphere.

There were several wings around long before Halcyon. My first wing was ripped out of a Watergill At-Pac in the late 1970s and modified to work on a standard blow-molded plastic pack. It was introduced in 1972. Attached is a scan from a 1978 Skin Diver Magazine showing a wing from SeaTec and my tired old At-Pac wing.

See: VDTdecalPage3 and scroll down to Water Gill AT-PAC
I used an AtPac in the mid 80's that FranK Hammet gave me...can't say the harness was equivalent, but the Atpac was something I liked, minus the ballaast system I would not use. I dove it until the material in the wing broke down, then was back to scubapro stab jackets until getting into "real" tech stuff in the early 90's.

Isn't the guy who set up Dive Rite the one who is credited with creating the Backplate that we use today?

I can’t vouch for the accuracy but this reference which indicates the backplate was Invented by a cave diver named Greg Flanagan — no idea if it correct or he is/was involved with Dive Rite. I have seen metal plates fashioned into backpacks from the early 1960s, but none of them were marketed as a product or looked that much like the ones sold by Dive Rite et al.

My equipment is modeled off of their philosophies.
No, I'm afraid it isn't.

Maybe I miss-stated something, I am not saying in any form that it is the best and that every other form is inferior. I just feel that for ME...it is a GOOD fit.
I suggest you find out what it is before you decide if it is a good fit

Not true.. pleasde allow me
I know a couple of really experienced divers who dove for the military and have lots of certifications/dives under their belts that have taken on the DIR style of diving (just adapted/changed their approach in gear) which do not have a secondary reg on board for their standard gear which they use in the ICW's. You are only at 20's to maybe 30's of feet down so your ND Times are in the 300-500 min range roughly speaking. So technically if you had a malfunction with your reg, you could just slowly bob up to the surface with no ill effects.

I know it is my fault for not fully describing my situation of where/how/what I will be diving in. So I just take these posts that seem to bash or poke at my OP, as a "misunderstanding" of my actual situation.

OK, please allow me to summarize what I have seen so far. You start a thread in which you rhapsodize about how great DIR diving is and ask if anyone knows about it. It turns out that a lot of people know about it and are DIR trained, some of them extremely extensively DIR trained. You continue to talk about it, and some of them, as politely as possible, suggest to you that you should get some training in it befere going on, because the things you are saying are not really DIR. You, who have no DIR training whatsoever, then reply by telling the people who have DIR training that they are wrong.

All right, if you think you know more about it than everyone else, that's fine with me. I just wonder how George Irvine would have worded a response.

You are only at 20's to maybe 30's of feet down so your ND Times are in the 300-500 min range roughly speaking. So technically if you had a malfunction with your reg, you could just slowly bob up to the surface with no ill effects.

This should probably be added to the What Is DIR sticky.

OK, what's the joke. Who is SeaJay?

One clue needed here...

A pink wing that my wife very much wanted me to get for her, until she saw the sticker, $960 after taxes in California (granted some goes to a cause) it's the same price as a non-pink. Once I finally get her situated it'll be in a DSS kit for only half the price, roughly. Not saying it's not a nice system, just not for her.

Didn't Tobin make a pink wing for someone once? I seem to recall that he did ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom