Doing it Right

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry ianr33...that wasn’t directed at you....my sincerest apologies.

The Air2 does sound like a posibility. I never thought of something like that to rid the secondary's hose from your first stage.

Sorry,will try to be more constuctive.

You should use a Scubapro Air 2. AIR2 - SCUBAPRO

This will let you get rid of one hose and make you much more streamlined in the water.
You forgot the spare air

Not me. I was mostly consulting and doing project management by then. Most bells were rated for internal and external pressure, virtually all the systems were open circuit, and the biggest dive support vessel was 250' when I started in the mid 70s.

70's and early 80's were the really bad days of commercial diving. Especially in the North Sea. It kind of started getting better in the late 80's when I began. At least from a safety point of view.

In 95 or 96, if you want to dive doubles, you had the monstous poodle jackets, not the far more intelligent and far more functional bp/wing designs of Halcyon. It was not that no tech gear was for sale, it was that the kind of tech gear for sale by the big mfg's around 95, was being made without any real appreciation or understanding of what the gear needed to accomplish.

I'm looking at photographs of the Starfish Enterprise technical dive to the Lusitania off the coast of Ireland in 1994 and the doubles look like they're attached to backplates and red OMS wings. No bungees visible on the wings :wink:

It's fun trying to make sense of all the tangents going on here.

For a bullet proof reg I would suggest the USD Mistral. Easy to service in the field and won't freeze up.

Sweet thanks!

The A700 was a package that I purchased with the MK17 which is a sealed first stage. That is a MUST for diving in the ICWs around Charleston, Beaufort, etc. of South Carolina. From what I have been told the A700 is a really nice Second Stage reg.

The MK17 is great, and so is the A700, but the A700 is overpriced, and generally breathes no better than the S600 or the G250. Both those regs are substantially cheaper. In my opinion the G250 is a phenomenal 2nd stage. I do not know much about DIR and what is compatible with their equipment philosophies, but now that you already own an A700, I would go for an R295 or something robust and affordable like that.
Do not buy a titanium 1st stage. I am not sure what the advantage of titanium is (weight ??) but they are not compatible with high O2 percentages in deco mixes. There is a chance of ignition (the titanium catching fire) and subsequent explosion.

These are my opinions, and I am sure there are others who are better informed who can make other suggestions.

Well... I would love someone to come back in a couple of years and let us all know how our little mud puppy gets on in the commercial diving world. I've never done commercial diving, but I spent a hell of a lot of time enlisted on submarines. We eat our own, and if my Navy hard hat divers are anything to go buy I suspect commercial divers eat their own as well.

Your original post was about the wonders of DIR/GUE training -- training you have never attempted, let alone completed. In addition it's not entirely clear from your profile that you are a certified diver.

Lynne is a very nice person, I am not. What she was politely trying to tell you that was to call yourself a DIR diver and stay within the accepted definition of the term as used by GUE you need to buy in to the whole philosophyNOTjust the parts you like. You are welcome to adapt and disregard the parts you don't like, most of us on the board do, but you can't not follow the system and still be DIR compliant.

As far as your gear -- read what GUE says about gear. Compare what you own or are trying to buy with what GUE says about gear and its thoughtful use in team diving.

You also are whining that people here aren't nice. Trust me when I tell you that in dangerous blue collar jobs that have a high turnover rate you will have to prove yourself daily for years to people who are "not nice."

Grow up, learn from your mistakes and move on if you want to be successful. If you can't, or won't, please at least remember that the internet isn't real life and it's truly not worth getting upset about what anyone writes in response to you.

Michael

Bob, you state he is a "controversial character" yet isn't that what several people on this thread are? At least IMO, that's how I view them and their posts.

Why do y’all bash a guy for his beliefs? This isn't completely directed at you Bob, it is at all that bash him OR myself for even mentioning him AND asking questions.

Do you believe in God? Yes? No?

If yes, do I sit here and tell you there is no God and trash talk your beliefs in him?

If no, do I try to convince you that you need to believe in him, that you are inferior if you don't?

...no...I just don't understand the animosity amongst the people here towards other divers.

Isn't this supposed to be a forum where people can come talk about a COLLECTIVLY LOVED passion??? So far, the only thing I get from this place...minus a few people on here whom genuinely care and want to help...is that if you aren’t a primo diver then get the Fk-off this forum. That's what it sure feels to me. Thanks.
Ah, if you think I'm bashing CJ then you misunderstand me ... I like CJ ... he's on my "Friends" list here.

Yup, he's controversial ... so are lots of people on this board I like. They're what make this place worth coming back to. If everybody saw things the same way, there'd be precious little to talk about ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm looking at my paper catalogue of Dive Rite products from 2003, there's the Transpak only, and the 2004, 20th anniversary edition of the catalogue has the Transplate.

I knew there'd be a reason for hanging on to this stuff :wink:
I bought my TransPlate in 2003 ... by 2004 I'd sold it and was into a standard hog rig with the old Oxycheq Razor wing.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom