Does the perception of crime or safety affect your travel plans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The least you could do CD is make it a POLL......SB does not have enough polls

I posted this elsewhere, but it fits this discussion:

I wish I had some way of accessing the number of divers who actually visit Bonaire in a year. It would be an amazing figure. Diving is what Bonaire is all about. Shore diving, with @60 sites, mostly accessible by road. More if you go to the adjacent island of Kline Bonaire by boat

Figures just do not exist to compare this volume of diving tourism, to the actual crime rate, but after 6 o7 or so trips to the island, and many conversations with divers with vastly more experience on Bonaire, I have to believe that it has really effected a VERY small percentage of us. Crime does exist, and if it happens to be you that it happens too, it will suque big time, but the odds are really very small that it will happen to you. Shore diving, that sets Bonaire apart from other dive destinations, can expose divers to some pilferage risks not present on destinations where divers primarily dive in large groups, and from boats, but from personal experience this is very small, if you follow the precautions suggested.

No one can tell you where to go, but I personally have dived destinations far more dangerous than anything Bonaire could offer on it's worst day, and my kids, my gf, and I return to Bonaire at least once a year, and it is to Bonaire that we intend to move when we retire, after looking in MANY other places, both in the southern USA, and other Caribbean nations.

No BS, just my personal observation, experience, and opinion.

Has this thread caused anyone to change their travel plans and not go to Bonaire.

People who were plannng on going to Bonaire, not people who never had plans to go there.

If you have been there would you go again.

Whenever I go to Bonaire I closely guard my gear during my surface interval. Note the vigilance:

WarmDry.jpg

You be careful there, ya hear RJP. they're gonna steal those dive boots right off your feet :D just ask pee-ef :mooner:

Dive boots?

Sh*t! I was wearing fins when I closed my eyes!!!

Son of b......

:confused:

My posts on this, or previous, thread seem to have gone!

Nice1 LMFAO!!

Has this thread caused anyone to change their travel plans and not go to Bonaire.

People who were plannng on going to Bonaire, not people who never had plans to go there.

If you have been there would you go again.

We are off to Bonaire in a few weeks.
Nothing I've read on SB has changed my mind.
I've read a few reports of crime on the Island, but nothing that suggests there is more crime on Bonaire then you would find in other places.
I've also read other websites, newspapers, ... again nothing suggests that crime is more rampant on Bonaire that anywhere else.

Still really looking forward to our trip!!

Last edited:
Picture11-2.png

The internet brings out the Nostradamus Messianic Complex in some people.

Those who alter their plans would likely be happier at Club Dread, posting a report: "Jamaica had the bestest diving ever!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom