Does Leisure Pro ever sell fake stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wiggsy:
The only down side to all this is.....what will we do when the LDS fold and close down? Where will we get our air fills? Where will we buy that last minute item, like a snorkel keeper or a pair of booties the day before you leave for a trip? I'd hate to see the demise of the LDS in Australia, and I do see this as a definite possibility as they just do such a lousy job trying to compete for retail sales. At the best they'll offer you 10% off a $500 reg that you can get off leisurepro for $200 or less! After sales and service is important but not worth paying twice as much for!
Lets face it this is a relatively expensive hobby, and I like many of you work hard to earn a decent salary. I can't afford to purchase gear from my LDS just so he stays in business and I have a place to get air fills. They will have to adapt to the changing market just like every other business impacted by internet sales has. Once again, I have had nothing but pleasurable dealings with LP, and the money I save means I can spend more on my boat......:)

coach_izzy:
Heck no! The post gave the impression that Leisure Pro sells crappy gear (which they don't) and if anything happens, well, you'd be out of luck because of the lack of manufacturer's warranty (Leisure Pro also has their own warranty which they have no problem honoring)

I have YET to meet a diver in the NY/Northern NJ area that has not made the trip to LP or ordered from them online. NONE of those divers (at least the ones I know) have had the kind of experience implied with any gear bought from Leisure Pro.

BTW, when my regulator started flaking the chrome off was AFTER I took it to my then LDS for its very first overhaul and that tool tech of theirs scratched the living heck out of it. Needless to say the Dive Shop refused to replace it, never mind I bought the regulator there, was still under warranty, and their tech scratched it. I learned to overhaul my own reg and ever since I take care of it.

If somebody came to me with that kind of damage to their gear after about a year, I would conclude that such person is either physically weak and keeps crashing the gear on the boat or shore, or extremely careless. I seriously doubt that any warranty covers clumsiness. I know some dive shops will be willing to exchange or return, but I do not know how they will evaluate the gear and conclude whether the damage is covered by the warranty or not.

I would think, with any product that has a serial number on it, that the mfg knows exactly where everything LP sells comes from. I have heard that the SCUBAPRO stuff mostly comes from Europe.

If you can get the parts, and have the skill and desire, I would suggest that Coach has the right idea..as I don't think most people are returning their stuff to LP for annual servicing.

It is obvious, that as more and more stuff is sold via the internet, that the LDS is going to have to change their selling model...and gas will go up... so will service...but perhaps that is not all bad.

I know a jeweler that is doing great business by embracing the internet, and not trying to fight it. He mounts stones people bought... he has a nation wide watch repair service, and he cleans and fixes stuff. He is expanding while others complain and argue.

Puffer Fish:
It is obvious, that as more and more stuff is sold via the internet, that the LDS is going to have to change their selling model...and gas will go up... so will service...but perhaps that is not all bad.

I'm not at all sure that the cost of gas or service have to go up. In fact, with more efficient gas and service operations that may evolve from the changes that are coming, some folks may well see prices go down or remain stable. The high priced, non-competetive shops will be the losers.

Puffer Fish:
I would think, with any product that has a serial number on it, that the mfg knows exactly where everything LP sells comes from. I have heard that the SCUBAPRO stuff mostly comes from Europe.
Doesn't the EU have regulations against the kind of tactics that ScubaPro, Aqualung, etc. use in the US to prevent internet sales. Isn't that how DiveInn.com/scubastore.com manage to sell those brands worldwide?

John

John_B:
Doesn't the EU have regulations against the kind of tactics that ScubaPro, Aqualung, etc. use in the US to prevent internet sales. Isn't that how DiveInn.com/scubastore.com manage to sell those brands worldwide?

John

They absolutely do have regulations to prevent a manufacturer from getting involved in HOW the dealer or distributor sells its goods.

The manufacturers that prohibit internet sales CLAIM that internet sales damage the value, goodwill, and public impression of their products......to the detriment of their brand. How, if they REALLY believe this, would would they bother to distribute in a country (or conglomerate of countries) that have practices that will damage the value, goodwill, and public impression of their products? Why not just distribute only in places that have laws and regulations suitable to the distribution method they consider the best?

It is obvious! They don't really believe this. They have no resounding rigid business principles. In fact, when they say such things to United States dealers, they are simply blowing smoke.

You know, I have always believed that you can't police every guy who wants to date your young daughter while you diddle the neighbors daughter.

The two-faced nature of some of these companies is simply sickening. Could there not be just ONE person in such an organization that realizes the different messages coming from the two sides of their mouths. Oh well.

Phil Ellis

I am pretty new to SB and I was VERY suprised to hear all of the BS about LP. I have purchased most of my gear from LP and have never had any problems with them. Everybody here is talking about their LDS, Leisure Pro is my LDS and should become everybody else's. They honor all of their warranties and I find that they are easier to deal with than the actual manufacturer. I will NEVER purchase diving gear anywhere else. Thank You Leisure Pro.

DiversDiscountFlorida:
Here's a question for you, Brett, "A customer purchases an $800 computer, a $400 regulator and a $35 light. A year later, the computer housing cracks and the unit floods. The regulator chrome flakes off the first and second stages revealing brass and starts to corrode. Finally, the light floods when the housing splits. What does LP do with this equipment when it is returned under warranty by the customer?"
Interesting. No response. You have to wonder why...

DiversDiscountFlorida:
Interesting. No response. You have to wonder why...

Maybe you have to wonder why. But I believe most of the rest of us understand.

awap:
Maybe you have to wonder why. But I believe most of the rest of us understand.

Yeah, pretty smart of LP to just ignore someone trying to pick a fight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom