Does anyone here have any experience with collecting tropical fish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used a slurp gun and found it to be useful only for some gobies. You cannot get close enough to fish for the suction to work. In my experience people who have never collected think slurp guns will work, I used to think that before I went collecting. I have gone out collecting over a dozen times with commercial collectors in several different countries in the South Pacific and never saw a slurp gun at any commercial site, they use hand nets. I have volunteered with a large public aquarium and never saw a slurp gun, although I saw their hand nets. I recommend hand nets with clear monofilament netting. I do not sell anything, you are welcome to believe advertising if you want to.

I did and what loquat149 said.
I wasn't diving when stocking my self caught mini reef so only by wading and tide pooling. I preferred a fine mesh net, coarser nets catch and damage the protective coating. Very little didn't thrive or, far to well. Bait type bucket w/ventilation and a battery driven air stone. I had one bad Ich experience from too stressed travel. I'd give a lot more space, bigger and more buckets if longer travel as well as insulation for less dramatic temp changes. I'm not saying quarantine is useless just; it was those fish when broke out 3 weeks after and a big debate over treat everyone or eliminate.
Be aware of the temperature things live in, may have to make sacrifices combining them or averaging it. Same with space issues to accommodate hiders and free swimmers, light and dark seekers, bottom dwellers, mid-water and surface hanger outers. Then those pesky heavy eaters that live where you never see them anyway.

Unless of course maintaining multiple tanks is even more fun when you aren't getting paid to. Good you know the challenge of coral. Geeze I got tired of water changes and stopped keeping that much diversity happy. Diversity (and stocking) I mean by what you see, can catch, enjoying the time spent to catch vs. willing to pay for. It is harder to just say no to what you can catch and easier when one fish might be a lot of $ down the toilet.

Be aware fish are a lot smarter than you may think and some are brilliant. I expect the entire life spent evading caught and eaten for that long has something to do with it. Loved the invertebrates and a whole lot easier to catch. The two handed net to net method was my only success with fish.

Brought home a few surprises in apparently dead coral, even on shore. Crab are good at containing the previously unseen, unwanted mollusk population but also effective hunters of other slow swimmers.
If you have the Ghost Anemone, they appear out of nowhere and take over; I would not try to bring any in.
Snapping shrimp got irritating at night and impossible to catch, traps a total waste of $. The rest were really, really cool. Had to take care to create places the crabs couldn't work their way in to.
Cukes were fascinating, one stowaway quite alarming at first. Be absolutely certain you know what kind it is before putting in a bucket with other, some don’t take moving well and pollute that small of space.

Pretty much scraped a little fingernail size Damsel off a just dried tide pool, couldn't bear just leaving it weakly gasping there. Rewarding until ended up the tank bully, what they say about Damsels is true. Although, I was much happier solving that with a return trip to the ocean. We have a tide pool goby that was difficult not to catch, as well as the Damsels. Never could catch a much desired Butterfly, few of any.

I swear a snake eel was embarrassed at so easily reach and scooped up near the shore. On the other hand another moray contained in a tide pool was smarter than the average eel and took a couple of hours. The only place to corner him was with my back to the ocean and he knew the wave set timing. All he had to do was indicate ready to dart one way or the other a second longer and I'd have to make my way to safer ground. The split second I turned I swear I heard a na, na, nana as he meandered off along side. Frustrating to do it over, and over, and over again and I always wondered if he didn't just decide to take the free lunch. That guy had personality, relatively friendly and was my favorite eel.

Have fun. :)

Don't forget your O2 supply during transportation. I used to use battery operated pumps with an O2 kicker. Don't forget the tempertature increase in the bucket during long transportations will cause stress and kill off part of your catch. You can decompress fish but it takes a long time to bring them up. You are actually letting the air bladder deflate. I did this for several years in both Florida and Hawaii to stock my own reef tanks. Experience has taught me that inverts and eels are easy keepers everything else... well your call. I gave up the hobby and now just take pictures. What about catching some Lion Fish. They are beautiful and you would be helping out with a problem. I am NOT anti-aquarium/reef tank. There are just to many people out there who are clueless to the amount of care it actually takes to maintain a healthy environment, you don't sound like one of them. Use two clear plastic capture nets and move very slowly. A small barrier net also helps.

I am very impressed with all the helpfull responses. I have learned a bit already. I have a good understanding of keeping marine fish and invertebrates, and have no desire to attempt to collect just to see the specimens die. I posted this thread in order to obtain information and hopefully some experienced dive buddies so that any attempts on my part would be done in a responsible manner. I kinda put the horse before the cart so to speak because my tank is not set up yet. I did this however to allow time to gain as much knowledge and understanding prior to making any attempts. I try to dive for sure on Saturdays and with a nod from the wife I can dive Sunday as well. I'd sure love to gain some experience helping others in their collecting.

Sweetdreamfiji, I sent you a private message in regards to being very interested in going with you collecting sometime on the East Coast if you were interested. I had never sent a PM on here so im not sure if you got it or not. \

I am interested in ideas about decompressing fish as well. One method I was told about was to use the lil yellow bait bucket and after collecting leave it on the bottom when you ascend. After getting back on the boat take plenty of time reeling it up slowly. I think I recall about a 2 hr time to get it back up.

Thanks again,
Walt

Why not buy tropicals that were raised commercially (not harvested from the wild) rather than take them from wild populations? As was pointed out, if you do this male sure you have any necessary permits and know what species you can and can't take.

Well that is a wonderful idea, but unless things have changed dramatically since I was involved in the aquarium trade, we are limited by how many species are being sucessfully bred in captivity. Salt water tropicals are typically very difficult to breed. There are successfull breedings of clownfish and a host of others, but that is just a small sampling of all the different species out there.
Cheers, Walt

You are correct about the decompression method and it does take two or three hours. It also depends on species. Those that zip up and down the wall are not usually an issue those that hang at 60 feet and deeper can be and issue. I used a clear bucket that I could see through and brought them up very slowly, stopping every 5 to 10 feet for about twenty minutes. When you get them to 30 feet go down and look closely at the abdomen, if it is exended lower them down until it deflates. Start again Do this again at 15 feet. Remember Mr. Boyles. and remember some fish might not handle this well. One problem with purchasing fish that live deep from an aquarium shop is that some "collectors" are in it only for the money. These clowns will take a hyperdermic needle and stick it up the fishes anus and puncture the air bladder. The fish will usually live about 6 weeks and just wilt away from not eating or die from an internal infection.

BTW Conscientious-Marine-Aquarist- is (was) my bible.
Be sure to get that tank set up and several weeks of conditioning in before stocking.

Trident00, I was on a culvert reef a few weeks ago offshore of Bayport about 30' deep. I was spearing and there really wasnt much to shoot at, but there was a HUGE amount of small tropical fish. I was thinking this would be a great place to collect some for a fish tank.
If you are interested maybe we can go out and try collecting.
I have never done this before either.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom