Does anyone here have any experience with collecting tropical fish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trident00

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering if we had anyone that had much experience collecting tropical fish. I have had many salt water aquariums in the past, and have been lately pondering the idea of stocking one from my dive trips. I would appreciate any chance to tag along and help out on a collecting trip, or any insight, etc. that anyone would be willing to pass along.
Thanks, Walt

And don't forget to do your research on what different species can cohabitate together without one becoming dinner for the other.

Ken

As far as compatibility I have a very good handle on that, but it was a very good point. I worked at an aquarium store part time for a number of years and was fortunate to learn from others. My aquarium background ranges from propogating stony corals and keeping reef aquariums to developing large predator tanks. So as you can imagine, every dive for me is paradise.
Cheers

There is a shop over in Clairmont or Lake Mary that does a class on it once in a while. They have posted about it on the Conch forum in the past. You might want to search the forum and get their name. They should be able to teach you. I was interestd in taking their class but just couldn't fit it in my schedule at the time. Maybe if you contact them they will do another one.

I've had pretty good luck using those, 8" I think, green aquarium dip nets you find at the pet store. Holding one in each hand you can, say, use the left to coax the fish closer to the right and vice versa. Takes a little practice and lots of patience. Make sure you have a license and only collect what's legal, but you might start with juvenile wrasses, etc. You can also purchase "invisible" nets which are a clear acrylic handle/frame + monofilament line netting or fish collecting nets/bags that are similar to a cross between a plastic bag/net. These are expensive and I've done just as well with the regular aquarium dip nets. Once I catch the fish they're easily transferred to a zip-lock bag and placed in a mesh goodie bag while underwater, though you'll need your buddy's help.

You might also just try pulling a seine in shallow seagrass. Not sure what the sport fishing regulations are concerning this (we had permits), but we've caught lots of interesting fish here and in the Keys this way.

Good luck,
Dave

What permits did you have besides a fishing liscense and where do you obtain the permits. I believe the fishing regulation book gives some info on tropicals, but I dont have it with me.
I do very much appreciate the responses.
Walt

What permits did you have besides a fishing liscense and where do you obtain the permits. I believe the fishing regulation book gives some info on tropicals, but I dont have it with me.
I do very much appreciate the responses.
Walt

We were collecting off research permits, you only need a recreational saltwater fishing license. Check the myFWC website or ask for a Saltwater fishing regulations booklet at Walmart or any tackle shop. They've recently changed the ornamental fish collection regulations, but there's still plenty of opportunities for collection.

Good luck,
Dave

I believe that a special permit is needed for a seine net (I have one). Check the Fish and wildlife website for other restrictions (size and number).

The fish in the gulf are quite limited unless you want a specialty tank. There are several wrasses, damsels and Belted Sandfish but little else. There are much better fish in the Keys or diving on the East coast. Buy a copy of Reef Fish Identification by Human and DeLoach to see the fish. In my experience slurp guns (sucker tubes) are a complete waste of time except for a few gobies. Buy one of the transparent nets (they are cheaper than slurp guns anyway). The ones with the lucite handles work well, although the handles are fragile. Get the small mesh netting (1/4") if you can. Use a tickle stick (a stick about 2 feet long and around 1" thick) to get the fish to swim into the net. It is hard to get the fish to go into the net. Practice a lot to catch a few fish. Carry a yellow bait bucket to put the fish inside when you catch them. Some fish are easier than others and there are tricks for some fish (blue tangs are very difficult to catch with a hand net but go to sleep at night). Be careful not to catch a bunch of something you don't really want but is easy to catch. I have a catch list and never take anything that is not on my list so I don't catch things I don't want. I do not collect damsels except for someone else because they are so aggressive, they are easy to collect and colorful. The Tampa Bay Reef Club (check on reefcentral.com) collects every three months or so out of the bay (they went out yesterday). Fish generally die from decompression sickness deeper than 30 feet, although a few will survive from 40 feet. You will have the most success in shallow water. You are required to have a system to keep the fish alive. If you buy a battery powered air pump (about $10) and have a 5 gallon bucket that is good enough. Bring a shore pump if you want to keep fish in a bucket for more than one day. There are some interesting invertebrates in the Gulf. It is illegal to collect hard coral, but there are 6-8 gorgonians that do OK in aquariums. You can also get a lot of snails and urchins and a few crabs. Invertebrates can be collected from any depth and do not swim away. If you find a sea anemone they are hard to get off the rocks but can be nice animals.

I am looking for a buddy who wants to collect fish. I need to find a good shore dive on the East coast we could drive to in the morning and back in the afternoon with what we collect. I heard that there are shore dives in Fort Lauderdale but have not gone there yet. We could go out in a boat as long as the dive is shallow (40 feet or less). We cannot dive in some of the county parks. Send me a message when you want to go. I would be interested in a trip to the keys for fish (and lobster).

Mike Sweet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom