Does anyone have experience of Otter suits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Seaskin Nova just arrived. I bought based on the recommendation of a highly reputable drysuit repair guy in Florida. He has had experience with the Nova suits handling 2+ years worth of tough Florida cave diving, more extreme use than I will ever do to mine.

I was very concerned about the fit because I had to take my own measurements (actually the wife did) and am in the US. However I am very pleased to report the fit was spot on and it appears to be quality built. Can't wait to get it in the water.

Since you quoted your budget in GBP I'm assuming you're in the UK. If so, you are ahead of the game in that you can get fitted at Otter or Seaskin. And getting fitted at the actual shop takes out a bunch of guesswork. Also I believe you can rent Otter suits to test out before buying one, another plus. I don't believe you can do that with a Seaskin but you can check out one of their suits at the shop. Don't think you can really go wrong with either brand.

Last edited:
porquois?

for reference, I have only ever had bag suits, but my next one is going to be neoprene, and likely from O3. Unless you're trying to fly with it, or doing a lot of really warm water diving in the drysuit *i.e. deep wreck diving in the caribbean where you need the drysuit, but want to be able to cool off on deco, then I would strongly consider going with a compression stable neo suit

oh fwiw, one of the big technical instructors in the UK dives Otter trilam suits. He does travel globally more often than he is home, but they are damned good suits if you're going bag

I dive an Otter trilam (Brittanic Mk1). Brilliant suit, and customer service from John Womack is second to none. A few of my biddies dive the Brittanic Mk2. Save for a few hundred £ and a telescopic torso, I can't tell the difference between them. One word of note, the material used in the Brittanic line is VERY heavy, and may be of concern if you travel a lot. Although they are now making suits with a new, much light material.

My wife has just bought a SeaSkin Nova. She hasn't dived it yet, but the fit is spot on. Much lighter weight than the otter, but obviously feels more fragile because of this. The latex seals are also much thinner.

FYI you can order the Seaskin with heavy duty latex seals. I choose them for my wrist seals.

Back
Top Bottom