Does anyone have experience of Otter suits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain Swoop

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking to get myself a new suit in the new year.

I have a budget of £1500 (some small savings carefully harvested from my weekly allowance, set aside against my frail old age.)

I have heard good things about Otter suits. I want a front zip and fancy the Brittanic Superskin membrane.

Any opinions or suggestions of similar suits?

The Brits seem to make excellent suits. The Otter is well thought of. I'm an ambassador for OThree (out of Portland, Dorset), and love all their suits and undies; but Otter are excellent too.

I suppose we make good drysuits because we spend so much time in the cold.
Othree seem to be very good but they are neoprene suits.
I currently have a Typhoon Discovery that I got new four years ago.
It's my first drysuit and while being very well made isn't the best fit for me and I don't like the rear zip.
I have looked at and tried a Northern Diver front entry and it's so much better or so it seems to me.
As well as Otter I have considered the same Northern Diver as I tried which have a very good spec and they hsve a good reputation. I also like the look of Seaskin, They seem to make everything custom to order, their prices are very competitive.

I suppose we make good drysuits because we spend so much time in the cold.
Othree seem to be very good but they are neoprene suits.
I currently have a Typhoon Discovery that I got new four years ago.
It's my first drysuit and while being very well made isn't the best fit for me and I don't like the rear zip.
I have looked at and tried a Northern Diver front entry and it's so much better or so it seems to me.
As well as Otter I have considered the same Northern Diver as I tried which have a very good spec and they hsve a good reputation. I also like the look of Seaskin, They seem to make everything custom to order, their prices are very competitive.
From a discussion on another forum I am on regarding drysuits, I asked for recommendations and the only ones that could be agreed on were Otter and Othree (with positive feedback in equal amounts for each). The other manufacturers appear to be somewhat hit and miss. Note I don't have a drysuit atm but considering a made to measure after Xmas.

I have a Seaskin, custom made sized right, I'm not an off the rack size. Not a single complaint from this drysuit which I've used for over 1.5 years easily 200 + dives in Monterey. The cost is extremely reasonable, for around $1100 made to order, si tech valves and seal system shipped to California. Watch FedEx and their customs calculations and make sure they know it's a synthetic dive/recreation suit not a custom English wool suit.

You can't go wrong with an Otter drysuit - I understand the MK2 Brittanic to be their best selling suit. A number of people I dive with have this suit and I have only heard praise. If it's a membrane suit you've decided on (and you are based in Yorkshire) maybe you should look no further. For neoprene, O'Threes are very hard to beat...

Thanks for the feedback folks. It's a membrane I am after.
I am now decided between an Otter or Seaskin.
I will have to make some calls and pay some visits after New Year.
I want to make a buy soon because I know I will find something else to spend it on if I wait too long.
I have too many expensive hobbies I can barely afford.

The best way to ascertain if a product is good is ask the owner if they had to buy another one would they choose the same - id buy another otter in a heartbeat

Back
Top Bottom