Does anyone dive with tables anymore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a dive guide, I use two dive computers, one on air and one on nitrox. Most customers reply on me to monitor their NDL. Most dive computers have several functions such as dual gas,spg,water temp,acsend limits,ni loads,personal dive comfort,all sorts of visible/audible warnigs along with dive plan,history,& memory. Goodness! IMPO I believe it makes me a safer/better dive guide. Leaving me with more attention time to the divers plus I can alter the dive plan/profile with the ever changing weather,viz, currents or that wonderful giant creature surprise that is never structured in a dive adventure.
To me now days a dive table is where I sign log books & get that free barleypop.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

…I don't have the answer.

The answer is what is happening right here. Eventually dive computers will evolve that are sufficiently reliable, inexpensive, versatile, and easy to use that manufacturers stop making analog instruments — because not enough people buy them anymore. No conspiracy, no value judgments; just the marketplace speaking. We are moving in that direction, but have not arrived yet so we must make due somewhere in the spectrum between “completely satisfied” and “useless crap”.

There are unintended consequences to every change, good and bad.

Seems like there is no answer. There will be people that will want to dive using tables. There will be people that will want to use a computer. I can see the value of both. I admit I prefer to use a computer. I actually have tables, ERDP and a computer. I know how to use all 3. They all 3 do the same thing. Choose the one you want or do like I do and play with all 3, just for fun. :D

It wasn't your preference, it was your statement..."I prefer to do my own thinking rather than letting a machine do it for me." That implied to me that your perspective is anyone using a computer is not doing their own thinking. You may not think you're relying on machines, but your are. Your watch is a machine...your SPG is a machine...your depth guage is a machine...all of which can also fail completely, or partially, giving inaccurate info. I just use a different type of machine for the same kind of info...computer gives me my time...just like your watch...computer gives me my depth...just like your depth guage...computer gives me my PSI...just like your spg...I use all that same information to manage my dives...how does this imply I'm not doing my own thinking? :shakehead:

And if your computer craps out, your diving is over for the day.

My watch dies? I have another one in my gear bag.

SPG fails? I know my air consumption for any given depth and can switch to my watch, just like we did before the SPG appeared on the scene.

Mechanical depth gauge screws up? The capillary depth gauge beside it still works. However, I have never had a depth gauge failure. I have one Voit depth gauge that was made back in the '60s and it still works just fine.

I acquired my style of diving in 1965 and no matter what modern conveniences I may choose to carry, I still dive like it's 1965. The only "machine" that I actually depend on is my regulator and I've never had one fail me. I am anal about caring for my regs. Like today, I went diving in the river with my sons and as soon as we got back, I disassembled my regulator, cleaned it, dried it and put it back together. I do this after every time I go diving. When necessary, I replace any part that is beginning to show signs of wear before it has a chance to fail. You will find no dirt or corrosion.

Look, I honestly don't care what you use when you dive. Personally, I just don't like "putting all my eggs in one basket," as the old saying goes.

I use tables to plan my first dive, though I will alter my dive on the fly (follow my computer profile) if I have reason to stay down... After that im on computer unless it fails, and it has... I find it easier to use my tables when planning dives while not actually at the dive site. I rarely need the advantage of the computer while diving the 60ft reefs in south florida.

I prefer to do my own thinking rather than letting a machine do it for me. Just because a computer displays data on a screen does not necessarily mean that data is accurate. Computers perform millions of computations per second and all it takes is a single, fleeting glitch or a bad logic gate to give erroneous data. I simply do not trust them, so why use them? Of course, this is a personal choice and I do not pretend to make that choice for other divers. I do not look down my nose at users of dive computers and expect that same courtesy in return.

Dive computers are very precise. But they may or may not be accurate for me, my body, today. The edges of the bullseye being more and more symptomatic of DCS...
targetprec.gif

I can multilevel in my head and get accurate enough to avoid the chamber (for me, my body, today). My answer probably will vary a bit but be in the same general neighborhood for me.
targetacc.gif

And if your computer craps out, your diving is over for the day.

My watch dies? I have another one in my gear bag.

SPG fails? I know my air consumption for any given depth and can switch to my watch, just like we did before the SPG appeared on the scene.

Mechanical depth gauge screws up? The capillary depth gauge beside it still works. However, I have never had a depth gauge failure. I have one Voit depth gauge that was made back in the '60s and it still works just fine.

I acquired my style of diving in 1965 and no matter what modern conveniences I may choose to carry, I still dive like it's 1965. The only "machine" that I actually depend on is my regulator and I've never had one fail me. I am anal about caring for my regs. Like today, I went diving in the river with my sons and as soon as we got back, I disassembled my regulator, cleaned it, dried it and put it back together. I do this after every time I go diving. When necessary, I replace any part that is beginning to show signs of wear before it has a chance to fail. You will find no dirt or corrosion.

Look, I honestly don't care what you use when you dive. Personally, I just don't like "putting all my eggs in one basket," as the old saying goes.

I appreciate your style of diving, but it is in no way an argument against the devices some of the rest of us choose to utilize. My computer dies, I just replace it with the backup puck I've been carrying in my pocket, and pick right back up with the next dive because my backup has been maintaining the exact same profile as my primary.

All the contingencies you listed hold true with how I dive. Like I said...it's just different equipment...not necessarily better or worse. If you're referring to those divers that just wait on their computers to beep at them, then I would agree with your perspective, but your implication that just because someone uses a computer they must not be thinking for themselves, is just plain wrong. Like I said, I don't take issue with your preferences...just your implications.

BTW, I've never had a computer fail me either. :wink:

BTW, I've never had a computer fail me either. :wink:

Because computers tend to be so reliable, I am actually willing to risk my dive day on one. My backup is a depth gauge (kept in my BC pocket because I don't like big consoles) and a watch. At worst, I lose the rest of that dive, and maybe two more. If I kept well within table limits (the usual for shallower dives), and I log my dives after each one, I can continue absent my computer.

I still dive using tables in "rec" mode.

I'm realtively new to diving, especially in open water situations. I am a dive mechanic at a theme park and most of my diving is in the 15-20 foot range. I am really wanting to start diving outside of work and multiple people are telling me I will "need" a computer to even get started. I know they are nice and very helpful tools, but are they a "need" for someone who is doing the ocassional rec dive, not exceeding 80 feet? Does anyone still dive off of charts or has everyone pretty much gone to computers? Thanks for any input and sorry if it is a stupid question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom