http://www.diveparadise.com

Does a Norte shut down the Playa ferry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

  • Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tunaman68

Contributor
Messages
662
Reaction score
244
Location
So Cal
# of dives
Hey all,

First of all OK - WORRIED ABOUT NORTES LOOKING AT THE WEATHER 10 DAYS IN ADVANCE IS STUPID - I GET IT!!!

However......for the sake of speculation;

Leaving in 9 days for Coz. I'm looking at 14 day projections (I know right - anything can happen). We only have 4 dive days and so far we've forecast... Day one: NNW 15mph gusts 29 - Day two N 15-20 - Day Three NNE (should be ok right?)

Thinking cenotes if needed - we did Dos Ojos and loved it and would go back for sure! I was wondering if the ferry goes across in weather like this?? I know we could try and do Aldora East side too, but don't know if they will be booked up (spring break week busy in Coz?)

Also, if these conditions do show up can you still put around in front of the stingray prison or will we get munched??

Thanks, can't wait!!
 

deborahdelamar

Contributor
Messages
1,352
Reaction score
367
Location
Cozumel, MX
# of dives
2500 - 4999
A norte would have to be extremely fierce to stop the passenger ferries. They usually continue to run, with the crew passing out barf bags. I, for one, hope that we're done with those -- I'm looking forward to a calm, warm spring very soon!!
 

ggunn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Messages
11,554
Reaction score
4,858
Location
Austin, TX, USA
# of dives
500 - 999
Also, if these conditions do show up can you still put around in front of the stingray prison or will we get munched??
If things are rough enough to close the port, you're probably not going to be able to do that.
 

tazbrooke

Registered
Messages
19
Reaction score
5
Location
Texas
# of dives
25 - 49
I can tell you that the the ferry ran last week when I was there, during the two and a half days that the port was closed because of the norte.
 

pelagic_by_nature

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Messages
886
Reaction score
115
Location
SE Michigan, USA
# of dives
100 - 199
I was not allowed to rent a tank for shore diving from Del Mar Aquatics when the port was closed. Don't know if other shops follow suit.
 

paulw

Contributor
Messages
655
Reaction score
165
Location
Austin, Texas
# of dives
The answer is no, they continue to run. The port was closed 2 1/2 days last week so Thursday we took the ferry to the mainland to do some cenote diving and ddeborahdelamar is correct, the swells were high and the ferry crew was pretty busy handing out bags.
 

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Messages
7,249
Reaction score
4,754
Location
Eden Prairie, MN
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I was not allowed to rent a tank for shore diving from Del Mar Aquatics when the port was closed. Don't know if other shops follow suit.

If the port is closed to aquatic activity, then no one can rent tanks for shore diving - it's not up to the individual dive shops - this call is made by the port captain!
 

DandyDon

Old men ought to be explorers
ScubaBoard Supporter
Messages
51,390
Reaction score
6,124
Location
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, so now it's starting to look iffy. Norther blew thru the Texas panhandle today, went from blue skies to brown to white in a few hours in Amarillo, and kept on. Weather is still difficult to project even two days in advance, but it looks like it may hit Coz Monday afternoon and blow from the north all Tuesday - maybe. I hope not, but you might start lining up backup plans.
 
OP
Tunaman68

Tunaman68

Contributor
Messages
662
Reaction score
244
Location
So Cal
# of dives
Showing NNE for Mon and Tues blowing +/- 20 knots. Don't know if that will do it or not....is there ever a case where it blows from the NNE hard enough to close diving on BOTH sides of the island??

If so, then cenotes here we come! Will one of the shops in Playa do a last minute cenote trip if we wait to see if the port is officially closed before making a decision??

In any rate, no work, no cell phone and good food. There could be worse places to be stuck not diving..
 

DandyDon

Old men ought to be explorers
ScubaBoard Supporter
Messages
51,390
Reaction score
6,124
Location
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Yeah, NNE is a bad direction for the island - right down the channel. I don't know what the other sites are forecasting but Underground still thinks the norther will hit tomorrow afternoon, cooler & windy Tuesday and maybe Wednesday. You just never know for sure tho. It was so late arriving here yesterday that I thought it was a no-show until the house shook and the ski turned brown. At least you won't have a dirt storm there. Cold here now behind that front but the wind lied down some. Heard it past thru Austin already, so yeah it's trying to get there. Good luck...!!
 
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Top Bottom