Do you use a leaning stick for closeups?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I'm thinking of making myself a "leaning stick" to help with my underwater photography (especially closeups). Basically, just a rod to prop myself on a spot of dead coral so I can get close yet still steady myself without damaging the coral. My buoyancy is pretty good, but not good enough for macro shots (plus I don't want to be holding my breath).

Does anybody else use one of these? If so any tips on construction/ size you use/ way you sling it around (on a retractor? other ways?).
I'm pretty much thinking of buying a small piece of AL tubing, maybe ½" in diameter and installing a rubber stopper at each end to cushion the contact point. What do you think?

I'm a novice photographer and still learning. Thanks in advance for any help from more experineced photographers.

Most of the DM's in SE Asia use a type of metal rod with a loop on the end. It kind of looks like a very long eye bolt. They use to them instead of using 1 finger. They work very well. I looked all over for one around here, without luck. So I finally bought a piece of SS rod at Home Depot and had my uncle (He's a machinist and welder) cut it to the desired length and shape the end to a loop and weld it shut. I put a lanyard on the loop and I just hang it from my wrist. It also works as a tank banger and a pointer. Also good for poking around in holes where you really unsure if you want to stick your hand! :D

Jenn that is a great idea for a tank banger...I use the 1 finger approach. But only on dead spots

CheddarChick:
Jenn that is a great idea for a tank banger...I use the 1 finger approach. But only on dead spots

They do work well...I don't have a picture of mine, If I remember I'll take some this weekend.

If you look at this one, you can see Herry's hand and the rod "fluffing" the spanish dancer

SPANISH_DANCER2.jpg

Ah.....cool, probably could use a ss eye bolt, grind off the sharp point....
LOL like I need one more thing to carry UW

A reef kabob.

How do you use it? Near no one I know.

I have gotten all the pix I need, even in heavy current.

If you are unwilling to touch something with your bare, naked finger- why would you stick a piece of hardened stainless steel into it?

Hi Rman, I agree I wouldn't put it on anything I wouldn't touch with my bare finger. :no
But I think if it's long enough, I could slide it into tight spots I couldn,t get my hand/finger into without touching the surroundings.... hat's also why I was wondering how long to make one...

And maybe this is just my inexperience talking... Maybe the finger is enough...:huh:

Cheers for all your input!

There are alot of places I wouldn't dare put my finger down. In the Pacific and Indian oceans there is stuff everywhere that will sting. I spent a good deal of time picking out little needle like "hairs" out of my one finger. I like my pointer!! :wink:

RoatanMan:
A reef kabob.
If you are unwilling to touch something with your bare, naked finger- why would you stick a piece of hardened stainless steel into it?

Hallelujah!!!

A rod can be useful but it is not a tool to poke into holes or "fluff" creatures or otherwise interfere :rolleyes: It is to thoughtfully place on a supporting structure so you can get a little closer than you might be able to otherwise. They do take a little bit of practice.

The best use I have seen for one is to point to something so you can still stay out of the way and allow other divers to get in closer. It's often better than your finger for pointing as it's longer and you can keep your distance while letting another diver have room to maneuvere.

Probably the reason the coral is dead in the first place is because the photographer before you put his stick on it too. Touch a coral, kill a coral.
Get your buoyancy right or plant yourself in the sand but DO NOT TOUCH CORAL... I don't care what device you use, if you touch coral, you kill it and if it's dead it's death is progression from something damaging it prior to your getting there (coral doesn't die in spots... it dies in ecosystems). If you touch one spot, you may well have just killed the entire ecosystem by attrition.
Pretty scary isn't it?!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom