Do you think this can pass visual?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tank looks great inside! Go get a vis+hydro.

Sanding, especially by hand with a reasonable grit, will not weaken the tank by an appreciable amount in real life. Sure bead blasting may be the "right" way, but I don't think you did any harm. The tank is not being held together by the few thousandths of an inch at the surface. These things are built tough. If you leave it rough sanded and don't apply a finish, then yeah you've created more surface area for rust to form. But a proper coating described by others will solve that.
Are the small rust spots a problem, meaning do I need to get it tumbled before a viz? Do they make a hp din to yoke adapters as i would like to use my yoke setup. all the adaptors I found were 'fill station" ones.

Are the small rust spots a problem, meaning do I need to get it tumbled before a viz? Do they make a hp din to yoke adapters as i would like to use my yoke setup. all the adaptors I found were 'fill station" ones.
No on the rust, but take it for hydro and visual as has been suggested multiple times. Preferably at the shop that will be doing the fills. Also, as I mentioned before, and there has been a significant discussion, but you may have missed it, you cannot put a yoke regulator on a HP DIN valve without significant machining of the valve. The DIY guy showed you a picture of one of his valves that he had done that to.

I do not recommend you do that kind of modification to your valve. The choice is of course yours. Yoke regulators are not designed for 3500 PSI cylinders, which is why they are specifically designed not to accept yoke regulators.

I do not recommend you do that kind of modification to your valve. The choice is of course yours.

I would not reccomend the modification either. The use of the 300 bar DIN valve was mandated as a safety feature. The 4400# service pressure tank never materialized in the US, however should it happen in the future, a valve modified in that manner could cause serious damage, especially if the reg used had an older lower pressure yoke.

Yoke regulators are not designed for 3500 PSI cylinders, which is why they are specifically designed not to accept yoke regulators.

Yokes on modern regs have no problems with 3500#. HP tanks have a service pressure of 3445#, and my Faber MP 120s with a + rating gets a legal fill of 3498#, I dare say the engineers took that into account when designing the modern yoke. And yeah, I got a good fill and used my yoke reg at over 3500#.

I would be careful of the yoke reg I put on them, since I still have some vintage yokes made for 2250# service, and I need not have the crap scared out of me if the yoke flexes.

I have a vintage (early '80's) Sherwood yoke reg designed for 4000# service. Unfortunately, the tanks never materialized.

I would not reccomend the modification either. The use of the 300 bar DIN valve was mandated as a safety feature. The 4400# service pressure tank never materialized in the US, however should it happen in the future, a valve modified in that manner could cause serious damage, especially if the reg used had an older lower pressure yoke.

Yokes on modern regs have no problems with 3500#. HP tanks have a service pressure of 3445#, and my Faber MP 120s with a + rating gets a legal fill of 3498#, I dare say the engineers took that into account when designing the modern yoke. And yeah, I got a good fill and used my yoke reg at over 3500#.

I would be careful of the yoke reg I put on them, since I still have some vintage yokes made for 2250# service, and I need not have the crap scared out of me if the yoke flexes.

I have a vintage (early '80's) Sherwood yoke reg designed for 4000# service. Unfortunately, the tanks never materialized.
While everything you say is true, I have seen older lesser quality regulators’ yokes break on 3442 worthingtons with a hot fill. Not something like a Dacor or a Scubapro, but IST and some sherwoods aren’t made as well as some of the other regs available, and I’ve seen a number of mark 20’s that the yoke nut was over-torqued fail. None catastrophically. But ending the dive trip.

Had to go take a look... A milling machine got to it. View attachment 661977
What kind of an animal would do such a thing?
20190512_222713.jpg
20190512_223012.jpg

Nice job with file , a straight edge and patience
You can do a very professional looking job.

Looks like nice straight hacksaw cut.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom