Do you mind helping a noob select gear for the PNW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Likewise, I think you made a good choice.

See you in the water sometime ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am actually going to be at NWSD in about 45 minutes, takeing my friend and future dive buddy in to help solidify for him the choice that I have already made. Thanks again.

Doug I will take you up on the offer as well. Thanks.

Yup, I agree - great choice. NWSD will take great care of you, and you'll learn two very important things in their training:

1. You'll learn the skills you need to be safe and enjoy being underwater.

2. You'll learn that there is a TON of stuff you've yet to know, a TON of skills yet to master, and that there are a TON of reasons to be conservative and dive with people like TSandM, DSteding, and NWGratefulDiver.

On that note - these are three fantastic divers who have a WEALTH of information to share. DO dive with them, ask them for pointers and advice, and when you've got a bunch of dives and more practiced skills, consider taking Advanced Open Water from NWGratefulDiver. It's one of the best AOW's around - you'll come out of it a MUCH stronger diver.

-(other) Doug

A second vote for AOW, either from NWGratefulDiver, or from BDub, who is one of the NWSD instructors. The two collaborated on the curriculum for the class, and it's an AWESOME class. (I'm GUE Cave 1, and not sure I could pass it :) )

I am actually going to be at NWSD in about 45 minutes, takeing my friend and future dive buddy in to help solidify for him the choice that I have already made. Thanks again.

Doug I will take you up on the offer as well. Thanks.

Dan mentioned you were in there again, I was there around 6 ish or so filling tanks. I'll be back in there next Monday and Thursday afternoons doing the same in advance of a tech class weekend of August 1st-if you happen to be in the area and see a black Infiniti QX4 parked out front drop in. Otherwise, shoot me a PM if you or your friend has further questions-you guys are in good hands.

Dan mentioned you were in there again, I was there around 6 ish or so filling tanks. I'll be back in there next Monday and Thursday afternoons doing the same in advance of a tech class weekend of August 1st-if you happen to be in the area and see a black Infiniti QX4 parked out front drop in. Otherwise, shoot me a PM if you or your friend has further questions-you guys are in good hands.

I have worked retail in the past. I know about the crazy customer stories. Dan has been very patient, and helpful, a cool guy. Hope I have not made myself into his crazy customer that he tells horror stories about.:eyebrow:

"Hey Doug wait till I tell you about the guy that was in today, well and yesterday too....."

I will look for your QX4 for sure, would love to meet you.

Sounds like I met you guys last night, I came in around 4:30, something like that, while you guys were discussing using drysuits for the class. Let me know if you guys want to get out once you get certified.

Jake

Would love to, thanks. Was nice to meet you (I was the big guy) Certainly appears to be a friendly community we have which is way cool.

BigFame:
Like you, I am a big guy. I bought a wetsuit off e-bay...it would fit fine if I could get it on, but I can't. I ended up buying another one locally, where I could try it on. Find people and a shop you can trust, and spend time with them. I bought all my gear at A2Z, and I drove those poor people nuts. I was in their shop for over 3 hours. I tried several masks until I found one that gave me a good seal with my mustache.
As for wet vs dry - I have a good job - and I can't afford a dry suit. On a data point of one dive, I was comfortable in a 7mm in 46F water.
As for instructors - I got my certification on vacation in Belize at Belize diving service. In general I was happy with them, however, I did feel they were optimized for the athletic 20 somethings (I'm was 50). I would have been more comfortable with a little slower pace and a little more one-on-one time.
Good luck!

Find people and a shop you can trust, and spend time with them. I bought all my gear at A2Z, and I drove those poor people nuts. I was in their shop for over 3 hours. I tried several masks until I found one that gave me a good seal with my mustache.

David...you are awesome! You can come and hang out at the shop any time.

Back
Top Bottom