Do you mind helping a noob select gear for the PNW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am planning an excursion to check out a2z actually as Amy has been very helpful. I am a little suprized at how many dive shops there are around that I was unaware of. I seem to just keep running into threm. NWSD, Lighthouse, UWS, one on 15th and about 7oth or so in Ballard (were closed the one time I stopped but had cool looking metal dive helmets that I wanted to wear and then make robot noises) found one i think called seattle scuba on lake union not far from Discount Divers new location (not sure HOW new but new). It is also amazing how one in particular was pushy about just buying fancy stuff and getting out, one was helpful but I think gave some bad info, Dan at NWSD has been great, and a few I havent even been in. If I could get into one that is fairly affordable, I am not a millionaire, I would like to purchase my own well fitted wet suit in the near future selling on ebay to drum up some cash) and was looking custom (liquidfit.com) but someone pointed out the ones on their website look kinda baggy and although that may not matter as much in Florida I guess it would here. So I will need to start trying them on soon, will stop by a2z thanks for the recommendation ddraffin.

Good to see you are still looking at all the diveshops, and see how the retail side of things are and the different vendors at different dive shops sell.

I guess if the cash flow is minimal you probably shoulda did the diversfair special, it is actually only $30 off. The regular price is $189, the store managers would probably still honor the diversfair price.

The classes were too long for me to put my niece through, I like the academics on thursday, test on friday, and off to the pool. Then saturday pool in the morning, dive 1 & 2, in the afternoon, the dive 3 & 4 on sunday and certified. Now there is more days and two pool days and then ocean dives.

So If I have to get her to the mainland all the times to get certified, My as well do a private class, the Instructor Will use my pool, dive at my house, she will use my gear, how sweet is that for only $500.

For as many times underwatersports wants ya to show up for a class, It would be $500 easy just in gas and meals, drinks, not to mention what you end up buying while your there.

Now I have the Padi cd that got when went to sign up for class,and mailed it to her, but now she has SSI sent to her as the Instructor is SSI.

BigFame the diving is a sport that is very interesting and you will learn all the time, sometimes it seems like a good way to go , and you find another way, If not less Expensive more interesting.

The Dive shop on 15th is a comercial shop that use to be part of DIT commercial diving certifaction. they are great people not tons of dive stuff, but if you like the old round mask, they have them in stock and are new.

Seattle Scuba Schools is a great place to do a referals, and do open water dives in a warmer water enviorment. Craig is a serious Instructor, I believe he has certified more padi students than any one in the world. He likes the cold water so he has moved back here to be with family and dive the pugetsound where he grew up diving.

Now remember 5thd in west seattle, Tlsea in Demoines, Bubbles below in woodinville, tacoma scuba, anacortes diving, all great people so dont quit stopping by all the shops, you will learn a little from all of them, and learn alot here on the scuba board.

Happy Diving

You guys in the Sound are a terrific bunch. While I have only dived with Bob Lew, many of the rest of you (you know who you are) have been more than helpful and willing in PM's. :)

The shop in Kenmore is excellent, treated me and my wife very well when we were in town.

I did a 25 minute dive at the Edmonds water park, then a surface interval that (thankfully) wasn't too windy, and a subsequent dive that was an hour long. The water was 47 degrees, and I was in a wetsuit. With properly fitting wet gear, you should regain sensation in your toes approximately 4-6 hours later. *grin*. You'll find yourself wanting a drysuit in no time. :wink:

The classes were too long for me to put my niece through, I like the academics on thursday, test on friday, and off to the pool. Then saturday pool in the morning, dive 1 & 2, in the afternoon, the dive 3 & 4 on sunday and certified. Now there is more days and two pool days and then ocean dives.

That sounds really fast, and very tiring. I think your niece will really appreciate the private instruction instead of this course.

VooDooGasMan I didn't mean to sound broke. Money for the classes is not an issue, its just that I have collected way too many pairs of retro and old nikes over the years and most just sit in my closet. Selling some to put toward gear. I got a good (decent?) job and am just expecting SCUBA to be the sort of hobby where you can never have enough money.

I didn't want to tak the UWS class after speaking with a few other shops and divers, and although the gentlemen that helped me at UWS was a anice guy I am not sure he had enough info to get me suited up well. I feel like he was new and as excited about diving as he could be, which is cool, maybe one day he would be a SUPER resource. I am going down to a2z today to say hello and look at stuff. thanks again everyone, more than anything else I have been very impressed by everyones willingness to assist me.

Got into this kind of late. But, contrary to popular belief there are a few of us who do freedive/snorkel the Sound on a regular basis. Check out Bottomsounders dive club. I have only met one of their members and have found him to be very knowledgeable and very safety concerned. I have found this to be the cheapest form of diving there is. With proper training (just like scuba) and practice (just like scuba) you'll be diving (free) in the 40ft range (just like scuba) and as long as you can stand the cold/or tiredness you can stay out there all day if you want (unlike scuba). Also, no bulky equipment to clutter the dive experience. Just you and all the critters. I base the 40 ft range on talking to a lot of divers who told me this is where they see the most critters. Besides much deeper than that and you might as well call it a night dive. Thats why for scuba you need all the training they talk about when diving the Sound. 7mm wetsuit, enough weight to not quite off set the suit, boots, gloves, mask, snorkel. Cheap works I go all the time for 2 to 3 hours at a time. Just my 2 cents.

BigFame:

As for wet vs dry - I have a good job - and I can't afford a dry suit. On a data point of one dive, I was comfortable in a 7mm in 46F water.

Good luck!

2nd dive with the wetsuit last Friday. Water temp was a balmy 50 degree F. Still no problem, nothing got cold. It wasn't even a sensation. I do expect that winter may be a bit of a challenge during the top side changing.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom