Do you mind helping a noob select gear for the PNW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigFame

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am getting ready to get certified, and I approached DandyDon with some of my noob questions as in my intro thread he offered to be helpful, and he certainly was (Thanks Don). He suggested to me that I run his answers by you all since he has dived the Sound but that you guys may have some differing thoughts as to what to get to get going.

For my class I need fins, gloves, booties (although I DO have these if they will be okay) a mask and a snorkel. Here was Dons answers to my questions, and help you all can provide would certainly by appreciated. I am in particular excited about the wet suit as I am 6 foot 2ish and 300 pounds I have feared that my only option was to go custom, and that could be costly. It appears that I could get a 6.5 farmer john style two piece for 180 from the link he provided, what do you think about that suit for the Sound and also could the arms or leg be taken in if needed. Here is Dons info...

DandyDon:
BigFame:
Dandy Don, thank you for the warm welcome in my inro thread. I did in fact have a question or two I would like to run past someone with some experince and since you offered you are stuck with me. :D

I am not yet certified and am planning on taking the class sometime in August, I have to buy the basics (gloves, booties, fins, mask, and snorkel) for the class and the only thing I HAVE purchased was a pair of booties with a pretty substantial sole in 6.5mm. I purchased them really to use when I swin in local lakes and rivers since they are often full of rocks, twigs and the occasional glass etc (although they recently found 45 sharpened pieces of rebar in a nearby lake not far from the cildrens beach area, how terrible I hope the person who left those goes to jail a long while). I have gone to a few local dive shops and inquired about these items and seem to get different answers, I was told by one young man that split rigid fins was the only way to go, but as I am sure you know that is not a cheap route. I was also told by another that I would not be able to select a mask until I shave my mustache (you seem to have been able to get around this) as I would never know if I was getting a good seal. I also wondered csince I see you have in fact dove he puget sound how cold is it really? I have heavy booties but when selecting a glove should i consider less thick and more movement or more thik and less movement? I would like to buy my own wetsuit in time, but since I am 6 foot 2 and 300 punds I presume this will be a difficult thing to do well as well as an expensive one. Anyway I have taken up enough of your time, and I thank you for any info you can share as well as for the cordial greeting on the board.
Jake
Yeah, dove some of it over Labor Day Weekend once. Nice, but was not totally prepared for the cold water. I'd dived 50F before, but that was the high there, with one dive getting down to 42F. :11: Still, I was okay except for my feet. Here are my views, altho you'd do better to ask locals really....
  • booties with a pretty substantial sole in 6.5mm. Sounds like my Tusa booties, altho yours may be a little heavier. Unless they've changed, these are what I wore: Tabata USA, Inc. : IMPREX 5MM DIVE BOOT [DB-4000] - $0.00
  • And I'd still add neop socks; if your booties are snug, can you exchange them for some a little lose to accommodate these: Cabela's 2mm Neoprene Socks
  • I wore a 3 mm neoprene beanie I think, but a full hood would be best there, maybe thicker. I like the sound of this 6/3: 6/3MM NEOPRENE HOOD [H6015] :: Tilos, Inc
  • I have gone to a few local dive shops and inquired about these items and seem to get different answers, I was told by one young man that split rigid fins was the only way to go Opinions vary so sure you'll get different answers. I use some pretty heavy split fins myself: Oceanic Worldwide - Scuba Diving Fins - Vortex V-12
  • I was also told by another that I would not be able to select a mask until I shave my mustache by someone who has never had one I bet. I do shave a little off just under the nose on dive trips if I remember, but mostly I use silicone grease - not Vaseline which can harm a good mask; some use chapstick
  • I have heavy booties but when selecting a glove should i consider less thick and more movement or more thik and less movement? I wore thick ones and handled my camera fine, so I don't think they'd be restrictive.
  • Actually, I certified in cheap, sport goods store mask, snorkel and fins but moved up on all three pretty soon. For the snorkel tho, get a cheap tube, and virtually no one wears them after they get thru with OW. I do carry one of these, just in case, but have never had to use it: Oceanic Worldwide - Scuba Diving Snorkels - Pocket
  • I would like to buy my own wetsuit in time, but since I am 6 foot 2 and 300 punds I like jumpsuits, but there - a Farmer John would probly work better, and be easier to fit. $169.95 Farmer John Wetsuit-6.5mm for Cold Water Diving Scuba Wetsuit: at JoeDiverAmerica.com

don

thanks guys.

Look up discount divers in freemont well next to the bridge, they have a tremendous amount of used suits that are almost new from divers that didn't take to the sport.

For your size a weight intergrated and weight belt with a steel 120 at your size you'll eat some air in cold water with the extra weight of gear needed, yes split fins move you through the current and the extra weight.

Boots might do for summer.

Use your own judgment on stash & mask.

7mm 0r the new northerndiver gloves.

Happy Diving

Unless cost is a factor, why would anyone want to wear a thick bulky wetsuit in cold water? While I have dove in 50 degree water wet and was comfortable as far as warmth once I got wet, the bulk of the wetsuit was uncomfortable. Personally, if you are going to dive 50 degree water on a regular basis, a dry suit will be the most comfortable way to go. Depending on your buoyancy skills, you MAY end up using less weight in a dry suit than a bulky neoprene wetsuit. Seems like comfort of the suit is the driving factor. Dry is MUCH more comfortable than wet in and out of the water. I'd say step up and buy dry unless cost is really an issue.

Hiya BigFrame,

Welcome to PNW diving! Asking questions is the right way to start.

Everybody has their favorite gear and lots of opinions, so don't get too hung-up on any one thing (e.g., split fins or a particular brand of something). If you can pick up a used suit, as VDGM suggests, that would probably be the best way to go for now. You might also try Craig's List for used gear. Most of us eventually switch to using a drysuit, so it may be wise not to invest too heavily in a wetsuit initially.

BTW, I have a thick mustachio -- and would never shave it off, even for diving! I'm on my 6th mask and this one seems to work well. You'll know if you're getting a good seal when you're in the water... it won't leak.

Have you selected an instructor yet? This is probably the most important part. A good instructor will take the time to answer all your questions and help you select the right gear.

glenn

Last edited:
No I haven't picked an instructor yet, Underwater Sports is having their big sale next weekend and the classes will only be $89.99 and then you basically get a rain check to schedule your class anytime in the next year.

Since I have zero experience and want to try out diving the price of that suit seems within reason, I have seen some of the dry suits out there and I just don't think that is within my budget now, or at least not until I have had a few dives and know whether or not this is for me etc or at least see how often I will realisticly be able to dive. Cost is an issue, but so is comfort and I thought a 200 dollar wetsuit would at least might be a good starter.

I really appreciate your responses, I have not checke craigslist yet but that is a great idea and will jump on right away.

Glad to see the responses here. I started to just tell him to ask y'all, but instead decided to give my one trip experience and views for a starting place. Good replies. :thumb:
Unless cost is a factor, why would anyone want to wear a thick bulky wetsuit in cold water?
I think a dry suit and thermals are wonderful, but I don't think $1,500-2,000 for a suit is in his budget today.

The vast majority of divers who dive regularly in the Sound dive dry, so I'm with VDGM. Either rent what you can from the shop where you get certified, or buy a used wetsuit. I'd also recommend the cheapest snorkel you can find (you don't really NEED more than a tube with a mouthpiece, and you'll likely discard it shortly, anyway).

Fins are another story. People who flutter kick really like split fins, and they are much more comfortable to do that kick in than stiff paddle fins. On the other hand, the bottom of Puget Sound is almost always silty, and flutter kicking in split fins is a great way to leave a huge dust storm behind you. If you want to learn how not to do that, you will need other fins. For this reason, I suggest you buy the cheapest fins you can find for your class. If you truly love diving and continue to do it locally, you can decide what to buy after class.

Masks HAVE to fit. Spent what you have to to make that happen.

Gloves need to be thick enough to survive Puget Sound, and for most people, that's pretty thick. Numb, clumsy hands can't manage inflators and dump valves and masks, so do what you need to do to tolerate the cold.

Have fun with your class! You have my instructor recommendations by PM.

You are getting good advice. Personally I would buy a mask, and snorkle and possibly fins and rent everything else. The best mask is one that does not leak. I shave the top 1/4 inch just under my nose - otherwise my mask leaks a trickle continuously. Snorkle - cheap is best. Fins are important but you won't know what you want until you have been diving for a bit. If you can rent fins as part of a package I would do that. While everyone has their own favourite fin the differences as a beginner are pretty marginal. They all push you through the water.

If I have to wear wet gloves I find the three finger ones warmest and warm is important. You really don't need 5 finger gloves and they are not as warm.

If you are going to be doing much diving around here you will want to dive dry unless cost is a significant factor. If you end up in a dry suit you will never use the wetsuit again.

BF,

Buy the best gear you can afford. The most expensive piece of gear is the piece that sits in your gear bag and doesn't get used. Get good quality equipment that is going to last.

As for a mask, silicone will mold to your face, so it will fit better once you wear it a few times. Many men with mustaches have a hard time finding a mask that won't leak. Some men shave a bit right under their nose and that seems to help a bit. I would try on a bunch of different masks and see which fits best. You can dive with a mustache; you don't have to shave it off, unless you want to.

I am going to differ from the crowd regarding your snorkel. I would recommend getting a good snorkel if you plan on diving/snorkeling on vacation. I dive with a snorkel on every dive in the Sound because I use it on every dive. For many, (my husband included) it gets in the way, but it is handy.

Fins are a personal choice. While split fins are comfortable for me, and for many divers, they are expensive, sometimes twice as much. Many people who swim a lot, don't feel they give the power that a long blade fin gives. However, all but one of my instructors/divemasters dives with split fins and love them.

As an uncertified diver, it is hard to guage what to buy now, or wait and see. As for your scuba equipment and exposure suit choices, I would get certified first. Talk with your instructor about different options out there and there are thousands of different opinions on Scubaboard on what you should buy.

When getting fit for all your personal gear for the first time, have someone, preferrably an instructor, fit you. You will be more comfortable and you will find with good, well-fitting equipment, you will dive it a lot longer.

As for getting certified, I wouldn't sign up for a class unless you can talk to the instructor first. You will read a bunch of stuff about getting certified on this board, but the bottom line...it isn't the agency, it is the instructor that is important. You are putting your life and safety into this person's hands.

Good Luck and hope to see you in the water soon,

Agreed with most of the above, buy once and buy right. You are not going to be able to dive regularly around here without a decent outlay of cash.

As for the $89.99 special certification:

I'd avoid it. Reason being is that your instructor matters, and who knows what you are getting? Also, in general, the way a shop makes this up is selling you your base gear-and you may end up with gear purchases that you end up not using or liking.

The shop I'd send you to is Northwest Sports Divers in Kenmore, because I know the instructors and trust the shop. There are other options, such as Amy's, but that is what I'd recommend based on my experience. I do know they provide gear for the certification part, and part of their course fees include rental of gear afterwards so you can keep diving.

If you have more questions, feel free to PM me-I may be out at Cove 2 this weekend and will be happy to show you some gear and talk about why I use the gear I do. I'd also be happy to go with you to Northwest Sports Divers and introduce you as well as walk you around the shop. I can at least give a perspective of a non-salesmen, my only dog in this game is helping new divers get good instruction so they become regular divers around here.

-Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom