Do you mind helping a noob select gear for the PNW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Might as well toss my hat in this ring ...

First off, buying used gear is risky unless you already know what you want, how to make sure it fits right (gear that doesn't fit right is useless at any price), and how to look out for "gotchya's" like a drysuit that's delaminating, has leaking seams, or is in imminent need of a new zipper.

I'd stay away from used gear ... from Discount Divers or Craigslist or anywhere else ... for just that reason. Too easy to get burned and waste money.

With instruction, it's pretty much always the case that you get what you pay for. $89 Open Water classes are almost always going to give you bare-bones minimal instruction ... they just can't afford anything else. They're already losing money on the class (it's what they call a "loss leader" designed to get you in the store to buy scuba gear) ... and what you're going to end up with is a class that'll basically run you through the "checklist", pat you on the back and tell you that you're a "natural", and convince you to sign up for the next class. Also, what they don't tell you is that the cost of the class doesn't include either the student class materials or what they refer to as your "personal gear" ... by the time you buy those things you're looking at a class that will actually cost you more like between $400 and $500.

Snorkel ... most people who end up diving Puget Sound regularly will eventually put theirs on a shelf and save it for warm-water trips. Simply put, nobody snorkels in Puget Sound ... the only use you'll have for it will be for surface swimming, and even then most people quickly learn that the easiest way to do that is on your back ... it's just easier to kick long distances that way ... in which case, the snorkel really isn't all that useful. What are marketed as "dry snorkels" are ridiculously expensive ... and based on the number of them I've got sitting in my garage right now they're pretty easy to lose. You'll have to get a snorkel for class ... I'm firmly in the "get the cheapest one you can find" camp ... because chances are that if you decide to dive often enough to get good at it, the snorkel's going to end up permanently in the bottom of your gear bag anyway.

Fins ... some people love split fins, some people hate 'em. I'm not one who believes that split fins are inherently silty ... it all depends on how you use 'em. The advantage to split fins is that they're really easy to kick. Because they're so easy to kick, a lot of people overkick 'em ... which is what causes all the silt issues. If you keep your fins inside the slipstream, they won't silt. If you learn how to do proper kicks with 'em, they won't silt. I just did two dives today with a fellow in split fins, and I didn't seem him silt up anything ... not even by accident.

The drawback to split fins is that they're bloody expen$ive! I can buy two pairs of the Turtles I dive in for what you'd pay for one pair of ScubaPro Twin Jets or Apollo Biofins. It's your money ... if you want a fin that's easier to kick, and you're willing to pay for that kind of convenience ... go for it ... just do everybody else in the water a favor and learn how to use them in a way that doesn't leave a mess behind you for the next diver to have to deal with (and remember that you might want to come back that way). That issue gets back to good instruction ... which you WON'T get from those $89 classes.

And don't let 'em sell you on split fins because "they're the fastest fin out there" ... that kind of marketing works because it sounds sexy to people who don't (yet) understand that the whole point of diving is to go slow and look at what's around you. Going fast causes you to blow right past a whole lot of really cool things without ever seeing them. Whatever fin you choose, don't buy it for that reason.

Wetsuit vs drysuit ... I started out in a wetsuit, and it was fine. But I started diving in March. When the winds of November get here, you'll either want a drysuit or you'll most likely hang it up till March or April ... when the sun comes out again. Diving in a wetsuit in winter will be OK until you get out of the water. Then, you'll freeze your butt off in a hurry. It's not the cold water that'll get you ... it's the cold air and evaporation that happens when you get out. It'll definitely limit your desire for diving for about six months out of the year. If you only intend to dive casually, that's fine. If you're looking to dive year-round, you'll want a drysuit.

FWIW - I think Apollo makes one of the better low-end drysuits out there. If you're planning to go to the Diver's Fair, perhaps they'll be running a special on 'em. For someone just getting into diving that wants a drysuit and doesn't have the money for a premium product, that suit is worth considering.

Mask ... like someone else said ... the best mask is the one that doesn't leak. Make sure it fits your face properly. And, FWIW, I absolutely despise masks with purge valves. Haven't met one yet that doesn't leak eventually. They'll teach you how to clear a mask in your OW class ... so you don't need a gadget to do it for you. Purge valves in masks are not one of dive equipment manufacturer's better ideas ... that's one "convenience" feature that's more bother than it's worth.

That's my 500 psi ... I'm outta air ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Underwater Sports in seattle is havind there yearly divers fair next Fri,Sat,Sun.. There will be reps there to ask any questions you might have. Everything from regs to drysuits are on sale. You may want to check them out. If you can I would buy new as you never know what you will get and your safety depends on it. Have fun and good luck Robert:smurf:

Bigfame, cost is an issue, just get certified as you plan $89 and like $59 or$69 for the cd kit it teaches you at home as you probably Know, buy your mask fins gloves. The $89 class supplys the rest of the gear, you will know what size BC and wet suit to buy after the class.

Bottom line this is a certification class, after you pass then you will learn how to dive.

join a dive club it will push you to dive.

If cold water is not a desire (but it will be) you will be able to go warm water and easy dive once certified.

when ya mention you had a year to take class it seems your not gonna ru**** good thought yet warmer now.

Keep askin on the board and you will learn quik and move along with the wisdom of seasoned and new divers.

Craigs list is a good source, recently there was a 2x or 3x wetsuit, alot of Items are brand new, just be wise and youll do fine.

Contact john at the Edmonds UWS he will fill you in on total cost, plus he is a giant(6'5'') a gentle one, then you can meet him at the fair and he will set you up. John will take care of any problem and set you at ease.

Walt is down south in federal way also a santa clause, kenny rodgers lookin guy, runnin close to your weight and dives all the time, he runs the raffle at the diversfair.

since your online you probably been to leisure pro, or scuba .com, there not gonna beat there prices. There tank sale is the cheapest youll find, show up first on friday, another is UWS owns the distributorship to apollo so they have the best price on that gear as in the drysuit mention on another post, I use an apollo prestige for my underwater hunting bc most the time 180' and under, its good gear.

My self scuba pro is so damn reliable and lasts, I have tons and love it all, but ya gotta have your favorite.

Happy Diving

Bottom line this is a certification class, after you pass then you will learn how to dive.

... to my concern, you should learn how to dive before you pass ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am very grateful to you all for all of your help. What a wonderful community we have here on SB and in the PNW. The only shops I have been too are Underwater Sports, Lighthouse in Lake City and Discount Diver on Westlake. I spoke with a gentlemen named Terry (Jerry maybe?) at Lighthouse in Lynnwood today who had some good advice about wetsuits, and offered to help me fit a suit and offered to let me try o a number of their rental suits to give me the chance to try one on prior to a class etc.

Cost is an issue (plight of the working class I guess) so I am trying to d this on a budget. I believe I will love diving but I don't want to invest a few grand to get started only to realize it is not for me. It appears that all schools will ask me to get fins, booties, gloves, snorkel, and mask. I was able to get a snorel on ebay cheap and hope that will work for now. I have those booties cause I bought them to be my "river shoes" for summer camping etc. Are they too bulky?

Doug I appreciate the offer, I don't know what COVE 2 is though.

Does a custom 7mm wetsuit from liquidskin for approx 400 seem like money spent poorly?

So I notice there area few instructors here, where do you teach? Does anyone know any instrcutors at Underwater Sports? It is hard to pass on 89.99, if it means I can spend more on smart gear purchases and I am allowed to schedule my class anytime in the next year which would allow me to select an instructor unless what everyone is trying to kindly tell me is the instructors there are not any good. I am sorry I have so many questions, it is difficult to find your way through this obstacle course if you don't even know anyone that dives. Thanks again guys.

Last edited:
Your an instructor bob, your entitled to your opion of a great dive class, some have budgets,
and remember UWS has been teaching since 1957 so they do have way of teaching and doin Buisness.

Yes I agree and there Instructors are usually new, thats why I mentioned to see john I here he has a seasoned instructor and wife as divemaster,(she does most the talkin) after a couple afterdive beers at the diamond not brewery, But my overall opion is they teach agood class.
Never dove just seen there group of Divemasters after a class while I waited for a ferry.

The Bigfame is askin about gear so lets leave it at that, He's intersted in the divefair and class.

Happy diving

Does a custom 7mm wetsuit from liquidskin for approx 400 seem like money spent poorly?

That seems reasonable if it's really a custom wetsuit. And even if you decide not to dive much, a good wetsuit can be used for other water sports and it should last a long time.

If you decide you want a stock-sized wetsuit (non-custom), like any clothing some brands may fit you better than others. Take your time and be sure to try several on before deciding. Have a knowledgeable sales person or instructor help you. For this sort of thing you want something that fits right, otherwise you'll be very uncomfortable and unhappy.

A wetsuit that fits like a second skin is a joyful thing and worth paying a few extra bucks for! :)

g

Okay . . . I'm on my soapbox, I suppose, but here it goes.

Diving in Puget Sound isn't easy diving. Easy diving is falling off a boat in Molokini crater, in a hundred feet of viz, in a wetsuit, with hard bottom at about 60 feet, and looking at fish. Easy diving doesn't have current and dry suits and hoods and thick gloves. It doesn't have ten foot viz, and silty bottoms.

I don't think very many people can take a two day class and come out of it with the skills to dive in Puget Sound. If they are talented and lucky, they may come out FEELING like they can, but without really having solid skills that permit it. A couple of uncomfortable or scary dives, and they decide golf sounds like more fun.

Good instruction and good classes make comfortable divers who go on to continue to dive. None of us has money to burn; but the money you spend on personal equipment is lost if you don't ever dive again. Better to spend a bit more on a longer, more thorough and higher quality class and really learn to be safe and happy underwater, than to cut corners and come out at best insecure, and at worst unable to keep yourself safe.

So I notice there area few instructors here, where do you teach? Does anyone know any instrcutors at Underwater Sports? It is hard to pass on 89.99, if it means I can spend more on smart gear purchases and I am allowed to schedule my class anytime in the next year which would allow me to select an instructor unless what everyone is trying to kindly tell me is the instructors there are not any good. I am sorry I have so many questions, it is difficult to find your way through this obstacle course if you don't even know anyone that dives. Thanks again guys.

I will bite on this...

In order for you to take advantage of the sale price, you must also purchase all of your personal equipment (mask, fins, snorkel, boots and gloves) and your books at the same time. Your $89 class just turned into $400-500. I won't say this happens with every class, but UWS classes are typically very fast and are very large. With that said, there are some talented instructors that work for UWS. Policies and proceedures also vary greatly between stores. You are getting a very, very bare-bones class. If you need any extra time or assistance, be prepared to pay extra for it.

I don't want to scare you, but scuba diving is an expensive sport. Most of us have thousands of $$$ invested in equipment, training and travel to support our hobby. However, it is the most fun and the most amazing experience you will ever have. Just be prepared because once you have fallen in love with the ocean world, your paychecks will follow.

TSandM, and PinkPadiGirl (well and everyone else in here)

This is exactly why I came to you, thank you very much for telling me your opinions, as of course you folks have experience to draw from and aside from snorkeling my bathtub as a child I don't (although I was like the Jacques Cousteau of that old claw foot tub). I did not come in here in hopes that I would only get the answers that were comfy, I wanted (and have gotten) good solid answers, great information, and strong recommendations from folks whos opinions I respect and appreciate. I think I am going to skip the class at UWS. It would behoove me to take a better class I suppose. I am also someone who gos to the gun range often so I know a bit about hobbies that are expensive and can be safely enjoyed with a little experience, common sense, and education. I would never give someone a loaded firearm and say "Thats the hole the bullet comes out of, thats the target over there, so enjoy" and although I don't know SCUBA I do know it well enough (and only well enough) to know that it is not something to take lightly, as it could certainly have serious consequences (the poor man at Alki recently for instance). So back to the drawing board I guess. If you are not a diver you do not know that one class would be significantly different than another, nor do you know the right questions to ask someone who would know the answers. I appreciate ALL of your responses, and the time you have spent answering my silly questions. I hope to one day see you folks under water.

Back
Top Bottom