Do you have a particular buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with my wife alot and my daughter recently got certified along with her husband; so I think we will be doing a lot of bubbles togehter. Otherwise, I usually pick up a buddy at the quarry or every now and then; go solo.

My husband and I are seperated but still see each other. We learned to dive together but he has not pursued further education whereas I went for divemaster. He is not a good diver and an unsafe buddy (yet knows everything) so I don't often ask him to dive. I don't think it bothers him that I dive with other guys all the time he just wishes it was him???? duh. However he is an avid golfer and I am sure if we were closer and he golfed with another woman all week I would hit the ceiling. Just honest.

TSandM:
One of the things I've noticed is that a lot of divers seem to come in pairs . . . If you see one of them, the other will be there shortly. And for me, although I dive with a number of different people from time to time, I have two regular buddies, and neither of them is anyone I would have met through any other facet of my life. So I'm asking: Do you have one particular dive buddy, and if so, how did you meet and come to dive regularly together?

One of mine is Bob (NW Grateful Diver), who I met on an SB Orca Bait big buddy dive, and who took me under his wing to mentor and has become a good friend. The other is Kirk (DoubleDip), who I met briefly on an Orca Bait fun dive, but with whom I was put in touch by one of my Fundies classmates who got tired of me pestering him to come out and practice skills with me. He wrote to me and told me I should get hold of Kirk, who had taken the class two months after we did, and was ALSO pestering him to practice. We got together and it was all over . . . We've dived together about once a week (or more) ever since.
Hay there,

I have just started a new site/service for divers to get in contact with other divers in their area or around the globe. Check out - http://www.diveregister.com/

Please be aware that this is BRAND new, only 3 days old and I am still adding functionality, so please bare with me. The buddies finder is 100% functional but the others are still in development and you comments are welcome on how you would like to see the site function.

To SB admin's, please feel free to move this post if you feel it is out of place. I am just wanting to let divers around the globe get in touch for FREE, with no real benefit to myself.

Best Regards

TSandM:
So I'm asking: Do you have one particular dive buddy, and if so, how did you meet and come to dive regularly together?
This is a great question, and I've marvelled over this phenomenon many times during my three years of intense diving. I've done all my fav sports with friends: fencing, downhill skiing, mountain biking, surfing/bodyboarding, road biking... it's always something.
But never until diving has my partner been so important and interwoven through my each experience. Maybe it's because of the echoed responsiblity to save your buddy's neck should the fit hit the shan. Or it could be the physical intensity of the U/W environment and non-verbal communication that crucibles me and my buddy together. It could also be that I love, and I mean LOVE diving so much that I bring all of myself to it, expect the same of my buddy, and pay excruciatingly close attention to the interactions.
Whatever it is, my diving partner is a hugely important part of my life.

Ken (Mo2vation) is my absolute primo supreme dive partner. We met last August, three days after I returned from vacation in Kona, Hawaii. I was CRAVING the miraculous SoCal diving experience like never before, because it's my favorite diving. I couldn't wait for the Drysuit and the canyon depths again. Ken had just posted on ScubaBoard about his new-found appreciation of beach-diving one of my favorite local spots: the Redondo Submarine Canyon. He said he "couldn't wait" to go back. His enthusiasm and appreciation bounced right out of the screen.

I popped off a post: "How about Thursday at 7PM?".

And he said yes.

We met and conversed in the parking lot, made a plan for the dive, splashed in...
...and CLICKED underwater.
His timing and grace in the water are remarkable. He loves all the wonderful and crazy stuff that thrills me every time: the octopus, the crabs, the funny faces on the fish, the miracle of nudibranchs, the fun of hovering, the beauty of flying underwater, the sharing of the fun and one's own enthusiasm. He's willing to practice. He communicates more clearly underwater than anyone I've EVER dived with. He taught me how to hover motionless while writing hysterically funny stuff in Wetnotes. He coached me through cannister light etiquette. (I'll never forget his whole-body-startle response the first (and last) time I waved an HID wildly to bring his attention to a interesting creature I had found. Talk about yelling "FIRE" in church!! Wow! THAT is the response I WANT if I'm ever in trouble. THAT's the response I want to OFFER any buddy that needs my help. Ken taught me volumes in that intense 2 seconds.)

We encourage each other to dive better at every step, and he resonates with my celebration of all the wonder of diving everytime. "No Throw-away dives", he says... Every dive counts. His precision is contagious, ("Warren Miller Diving",) and I dive better because of the heartfelt fun, encouragement, enthusiasm, safety and sharing that fill our every dive together. DIR/F was attracting me strongly before I met Ken, but I stepped up to taking the class and passing it in part because of his example and support.

I dive with many other fun people and skilled divers, and I love diving with many friends. But diving with Ken absolutely Rocks. Having other enthusiastic team-oriented divers join us spreads the fun and the skills even wider. We inspire each other to improve skills and mentor other divers who like the safe, precise, joyful diving that we both love.

95 dives together and 10 months later, my favorite dive partner keeps bringing himself and his skills to our dives, and they are superb. I am incredibly fortunate and grateful.

Hey, we're diving Redondo Canyon Thursday night... and I can't wait!

Claudette

P.S. Here's my report on our dive last week, and I'm still laughing:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1985696&postcount=55

Claudette, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.

I hope I can get down there and dive with the two of you some time.

TSandM:
Do you have one particular dive buddy, and if so, how did you meet and come to dive regularly together?

Yes, I have a steady diving relationship with my life partner. I find a lot of real life communication problems to translate very nicely to diving. :coffee:

I certified with my son and we've been dive buddies ever since (OK - it's only been 4 months). I did one dive with a friend who was also in our cert class and would dive with him again, but arranging schedules is an issue. It's real easy to just grab my son and head for the lake. I get to use the “quality bonding time” excuse with the non-diving wife/mom, so the excessive cost (both time and dollars) are justified.

Personally, I want to be a much better diver and a whole lot more confident in my own skills before I look at hitting the water with another buddy. The time will come, but right now, we’re working as a team to get better. He does his first non-dad buddy dive next month when he heads to NY. He’s going to get a DM from the LDS to do a LI Sound shore dive. (I’m very jealous – it should be a great dive). For me – I might take the plunge in August when I may get a chance to do Dutch Springs up in PA with a buddy from our local office.

TSandM:
Claudette, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.

I hope I can get down there and dive with the two of you some time.
Oh Yes Yes YES!!!! Please... in the fall when the water is spectacular!!! Please say you're coming down this year?

I'm also toe-bouncing eager to come 'up' and dive the PNW. I've heard the fall is lovely :14: . We need to get out the calendars.... Ken?

Claudette

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom