do you dive with spare mask

Do you carry a Spare mask with every dive

• Yes

Votes: 22 39.3%
  • No

Votes: 34 60.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme

Reaction score
Do you carry a spare mask with every dive ??

why and why not ?

I carry a back-up at all times after i had a lense on my Oceanmaster Z4 pop out on me.. I carry An Oceanic Shadow (frameless) for my backup.

Scubaddawg

I don't bother with the extra baggage and drag.

I don't need a mask to be able to breathe, and can make a controlled ascent without one.

If you really, really need to look at your gauges, cup your hand around your eye and catch a bubble --- try it next time at safety stop (after warning your buddy in the predive briefing, of course).

Charlie Allen

For recreational type dives...no.

I haven't in the past but after reading a thread in the Tec zone just recently and after a couple of mask problems last year I intend to from now on. It might as well be in my pocket just incase rather than sitting on shore or the boat in my bag.

...my spare mask lives in my left pocket along with the other stuff that I don't expect to use... like my spare cutting device, spare double ender, spare p-bolt and dive alert. The stuff is always there but never needed if everything goes as planned.

Yes... I can do ascents without a mask. I have even done training ascents sans mask with a deco obligation making the necessary stops and switch to the deco bottle (buddy calling the 70' stop.)

But should my mask get kicked off I would prefer to get out and don my spare, locate my primary mask, make the switch, re-stow the spare and continue the dive.

Frequently dive FFMs, mostly AGA, so I have to take of the mask in case of reg failure. Never happened, though. :D Back-up is a Dacor Bandit, fits in my Zeagle's little roll-up pocket. Small, very low volume, fits my face perfect. Only drawback are the plastic lenses. Will upgrade to Cressi's version of it, forgot the name. Same thing with glass lenses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom