Do you find that dive masks seal better in warmer water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
I am trying to reconcile the reason for my mask leakage lately. And it seems that it can be traced back to when I started diving colder water earlier this year. Could colder, possibly less pliable silicon be a factor or do I need to look for other reasons? I'm doing the same things I did before to get a good seal. The only difference now (besides the cold) is the hood.

No difference for me once adjusted. You probably already know, but ensure the hood is not caught under the mask skirt and strap tension is not too lose or tight.

Possibly you may be venting a little through your nose, which puts air into your hood, which pulls the strap a little funny, causing a leak. A borderline loose strap would contribute to this.

I am trying to reconcile the reason for my mask leakage lately. And it seems that it can be traced back to when I started diving colder water earlier this year. Could colder, possibly less pliable silicon be a factor or do I need to look for other reasons? I'm doing the same things I did before to get a good seal. The only difference now (besides the cold) is the hood.
I'd guess the hood is the culprit. Make doubly sure the skirt of the mask in side the hood. Also, if you are wearing your mask too tightly, that can cause leaks. Your mask should only be as tight as it needs to be to hold a seal at the surface. Tighter, and you may cause yourself problems.

Depending on how cold "cold" is, you might also have a numbed face and cant feel when the mask is not sitting correctly. A friend of mine noted that super soft and thin silicone doesn't work for him in northern California because of that.

Just wanted to add that a tight hood can also squeeze the skin on your face in a way that can make it harder for the mask to seal. I'm considering cutting a bigger opening in a tight hood I have, because it squeezes the skin next to my eyes and often interferes with my mask. It is a compromise, since a bigger opening will leave more skin exposed to the cold water...

It was definitely a factor on the old rubber masks. I have never noticed it with modern silicone skirts.

No difference for me once adjusted. You probably already know, but ensure the hood is not caught under the mask skirt and strap tension is not too lose or tight.

Possibly you may be venting a little through your nose, which puts air into your hood, which pulls the strap a little funny, causing a leak. A borderline loose strap would contribute to this.

I'd guess the hood is the culprit. Make doubly sure the skirt of the mask in side the hood. Also, if you are wearing your mask too tightly, that can cause leaks. Your mask should only be as tight as it needs to be to hold a seal at the surface. Tighter, and you may cause yourself problems.
Okay, now I feel silly. I have not been pulling the hood over the skirt of the mask. I'll give that a try. I've been trying to keep the mask and hood edges away from each other. And I have been experimenting with the tightness of the strap.

Depending on how cold "cold" is, you might also have a numbed face and cant feel when the mask is not sitting correctly. A friend of mine noted that super soft and thin silicone doesn't work for him in northern California because of that.
No, not that cold. Dive temps in the low 60's and high 50's F. But that's something to keep in mind as my mask is that thin Mares silicon.
Just wanted to add that a tight hood can also squeeze the skin on your face in a way that can make it harder for the mask to seal. I'm considering cutting a bigger opening in a tight hood I have, because it squeezes the skin next to my eyes and often interferes with my mask. It is a compromise, since a bigger opening will leave more skin exposed to the cold water...
That's an interesting thought! My hood is pretty tight. I actually stuff it with a basketball the day before a dive and it makes it more comfortable. I learned that here on SB somewhere.

No, cold water and mask seal should still be good. Might be the hood affecting things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom