do you dive with spare mask

Do you carry a Spare mask with every dive

• Yes

Votes: 22 39.3%
  • No

Votes: 34 60.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Always carry a spare mask in my bag. I carry it with me underwater in some dives (wreck or deep). I carry it around my neck, with the glasses looking back. It doesn't bother me, and it's just where I need it in case of emergency.

I have never carried a spare on a dive, there is always one in my gear bag. I wear a full beard so at times a mask leak is ever present. On those days I just exhale through my nose every so often and the mask stays clear. I have had my masks kicked off a number of times working with new divers but you get quick to react so I've been lucky enough to grab and catch it. The idea of wearing the strap under your hood sounds like a good one but it might impare ones snorkle attachment.......but thats another thread.
Bill
We should all be able to function under water fully without a mask.

:huh:
I never thought of actually bringing an extra mask along on a dive before...
I will now, after reading this post...
Thanks... :nod:

Personnaly I do not carry a second mask with me.I think it is unneccesarry equipment as you have 1% possibilities your mask to be damaged underwater and if it happens you are trained to deal with such a situation!..Remember when you were taking lessons that there was an exercise to dive without using a mask so if you did well back there now you do not need to carry an extra mask!!

I agree with GreekCmasDiver. However, for those who wear contact lenses it is a good idea to bring a backup mask. I could not see my guages if I lost my mask and my contacts would float out of my eyes if I opened them underwater. So I have a backup mask with prescription lenses. Unfortunately, I do not carry it regularly, but I should.

I have my Pro ear in the gear box all the time, don't cary it underwater if I don't have problems with my ear.

I always carry one for a couple of reasons, one i dive a ffm, and have to remove it to switch to deco gases. Second if you are wreck diving try exiting a wreck after losing your mask in low vis. Someone at your funeral may say "if he only had a backup mask" ;-0 Think about it. I wear mine turned backwards on the nap of my neck, lose your mask you are not fumbling for a bc pocket just grab the strap turn 180 degrees and you are seeing again.

It can save someone's dive (yours, your buddy's or someone on the boat).

If you are doing deco dives, a spare mask is a MUST. I don't see how one can make his deco stops without a mask. Well, the buddy can help you through the stops somehow, but you can never be 100% sure that you don't loose the buddy during the dive.

Mini shadow - left pocket.

Used twice since Feb. Once when I got kicked in the surge and just couldn't find my primary mask (found it on the way back), and another time for a buddy who's strap disintegrated on the dive. Was this guy stoked that I had (of all things) a spare mask and we didn't have to kill the dive.

Strange thing: My Seavision with neo strap cover floats - mini shadow (much smaller mask) with same neo strap cover, does not. I was bobbing on top on my first dive with the mini, and I tossed it into the drink as I stowed my main mask...and it slowly sank... I was pretty shocked... It was just funny, just watching it slowly (as in real slow) sink into the abyss...

I forgot about that, and when I got home to dunk my gear in this huge trashcan I use, I dropped all the stuff in, and couldn't find the mini. Tore up my bag, the back of my truck, rifled the pockets of my suit...couldn't find it. I was bumed, until reached for the weights at the end of the rinse-fest...and there it was, just lounging at the bottom of the can....

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom