do you dive with spare mask

Do you carry a Spare mask with every dive

• Yes

Votes: 22 39.3%
  • No

Votes: 34 60.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not carry a spare mask with me on my rec or research dives, only the one in my dive bag topside.

I wear my mask strap underneath my hood (realize it's not "standard" but it works for me), so it is hard to kick off or lose. I did have a strap break once when it was outside the hood. The mask fell off, I retrieved it and dove (and videotaped) for another 20 minutes by holding the mask against my face with the camera in my other hand. I don't recommend it, but it did work.

Dr. Bill

IMHO, I would carry another one in my gear bag. Bcz once the mask is lost by any reason you can image with no backup, you just can stay on the boat/shore or expect someone else has a backup.

Charlie99 once bubbled...
I don't bother with the extra baggage and drag.

I don't need a mask to be able to breathe, and can make a controlled ascent without one.

If you really, really need to look at your gauges, cup your hand around your eye and catch a bubble --- try it next time at safety stop (after warning your buddy in the predive briefing, of course).

Charlie Allen

Charlie, love the idea, will try it at the next safety stop.

=-)

Never used to, never thought I would need to, but on a recent trip I had my mask leak for a whole dive, it was very uncomfortable, I had to give my camera to someone else to use and couldn't go very deep.

I have a spare on the boat but will consider taking it with me in the future but that will require me to make adjustments to my gear.

Currently I don't have pockets... maybe it's time to get some?
=-)

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
...my spare mask lives in my left pocket along with the other stuff that I don't expect to use... like my spare cutting device, spare double ender, spare p-bolt and dive alert. The stuff is always there but never needed if everything goes as planned.

Yes... I can do ascents without a mask. I have even done training ascents sans mask with a deco obligation making the necessary stops and switch to the deco bottle (buddy calling the 70' stop.)

But should my mask get kicked off I would prefer to get out and don my spare, locate my primary mask, make the switch, re-stow the spare and continue the dive.

Sounds like it's a combo of the right training, keeping yourself together in emergancies, and having the right equipment when needed.. good advice

When I dive no deco dives ......No
On deco dives....... yes when you have a lot of hang time it's kind of hard to see gauges without one.
Rob

I do when I take my cressi bug eyes, they are like a new date every time I take them out-sometimes they feel wonderful then other times they give me nothing but grief:) zeN

I have never carried a spare mask. Have never thought of needing one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom