Spare air or sumthing like it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba fryd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi so I know the typical don't dive spare air mindset and so on but I have som kids in my family that want one to go play in a pool and am just thinking that a spare air ist much at all if you had to get sumthing what would you use mby som surface compressor with a long hose or ?

What you should get the kids is... dive certifications to whatever level is age-appropriate. If not that, teach them to snorkel which is great prep for scuba later on.

Its very easy for an untrained kid to over expand a lung and die messing around with even a tiny scuba tank, even in a pool. It happens. Don't buy those scorkel/dideep/whatever mini tanks marketed to kids without training. Death traps hawked by sketchy chinese companies.

Or if you need to get them a fancy pool toy get them one of those little dive scooters that they can play with snorkeling. Tons of fun.

Edit: I realized that my mistakenly incomplete sentence previously ended with "sketchy chinese" instead of "sketchy chinese companies", the former sounding much more racist than intended. No issue with the people of china - only their government, state-sanctioned business practices, genocide, and sale of harmful products.

What you should get the kids is... dive certifications to whatever level is age-appropriate. If not that, teach them to snorkel which is great prep for scuba later on.

Its very easy for an untrained kid to over expand a lung and die messing around with even a tiny scuba tank, even in a pool. It happens. Don't buy those scorkel/dideep/whatever mini tanks marketed to kids without training. Death traps hawked by sketchy chinese

Or if you need to get them a fancy pool toy get them one of those little dive scooters that they can play with snorkeling. Tons of fun.
Yeah that's what I was thinking I was mby just hoping for some good alternative so we could finde out if it was fun for them it's not my kids and there dad didn't want to buy the cert if it would never be used. But I'll tell him that

Yeah that's what I was thinking I was mby just hoping for some good alternative so we could finde out if it was fun for them it's not my kids and there dad didn't want to buy the cert if it would never be used. But I'll tell him that
You are paying for training, not buying a cert.

Do a try scuba experience with the kids. This can be done quite safely in a pool. You are correct that certs are typically participation trophies.

Back
Top Bottom