Do you dive with a snorkel!??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always use a snorkel and have never had a problem with it getting tangled in my equipment or just getting in the way. All of my dives are in the ocean, nearly always from a boat. Sea conditions can change very quickly and I find my snorkel super useful when it gets a bit choppy. Generally I don't do a lot of surface swimming but often use it when ensuring guests get in and out of the water safely. I'm usually first in and last out of the water (unless doing a drift dive, of course) and my snorkel saves me a lot of bottled air, I'd be gutted if I lost it!

I usually carry a snorkel when not diving commercially, entering a cave/wreck, or ice diving (which goes without saying) :). I suppose it's habit, but ever since my Navy diver training in the early 70's, I've recognized how difficult long surface swims can be without one. I tend to carry equipment that has proven to be worthwhile from my particular experience. That said, I can see why someone diving in ideal conditions in warm/clear water would think it unnecessary.

It seems that most folks don't use a snorkel or carry one. We have a lot of comments that folks haven't used one since their OW class or quit using one shortly after. I was certified in 1991 so it's been 21 years since that class and I don't remember exactly what was taught about snorkels. So for those instructors out there, what are you required to teach about the use of a snorkel? With so many folks not using them after class, I wonder if the snorkel will go the way of tables and not be taught any longer or it becomes optional.

You have a very confused (and easily countered) set of misconceptions. Let's just deal with one: were it not for a bunch of old fart, free diving skilled, snorkel wearing, swim testing, NAUI instructors, specifically: Lloyd Austin, Jim Stewart, Paul Heinmiller, Glen Egstrom, Robert Given, Mark Flahan, Mike Lang a few others and myself, you'd still be using tables ... because computers would never have obtained the needed breakthrough acceptance that we provided back when there were only four types in existence.

The reason computers replaced tables was because SDI stopped using tables. PADI had members asking for it to be stopped a long time but until SDI stopped using tables, no one else took the plunge. (Just like how I had to become an IANTD instructor to teach Nitrox, PADI just lets others take the legal leap and if it is safe follows.)

Unless you are willing to call the head of SDI a NAUI person (I mean he is (and he is also a PADI person, etc.) but then again, so am I a NAUI person), and claim his credit.

In many places, swim tests-gone. In many places, dive tables- gone. In much of the real world of diving in the open ocean, snorkels-gone. For real safety reasons.

The only reason to use snorkels is inertia. Eventually we will recognize them as the foundation of a separate exciting worthwhile activity. Until we do, we will turn out divers who will only get themselves into trouble trying to use snorkels in the real ocean, and we will never have real free-diving training.

I love free diving, and I love snorkeling. I wish they woould get the heck oout of diving and be recongized as the worthwhile syand-alone activities they are. I would love to take a good free-diving course.

Every student say the same thing about reg/snorkel exchange: Why? Espcially when I give them much better ways to be on the surface with the heavy tanks underneath them, (not on top of them rolling them over all the time). Every single one of them wonders why they would ever use a snorkel instead of the much better options avaiable to them in non-emergent situations, and none of them trust them in rough conditions because they fail to protect the airway unless a really irregular breathing pattern is used, and even then they choke the person using them randomly (random because the person cannot see the waves coming.)

For those who say a snorkel makes a surface swim easier, what????

Pleas come take my open water course where I will show you three different ways to move on the surface that are far, far more efficient than snorkel use with scuba on. And safer too.

Beano, I still think you are trolling.

According to your analogy; drivers who can now buy a car that parallel parks itself need no longer require that skill themselves. Just because old farts used to do it is no reason the obviously more skilled and awesome modern drivers need to.

With back up sensors drivers also need not check what's behind them like those foolish old farts used to.

I just saw an advertisement for a car that will sense something ahead and brake so one doesn't hit it. The driver of tomorrow is going to be soooooo much more skilled and knowledgeable than the old farts of the past.

Or will this technology just allow more unskilled drivers to be on the road. Hummmm???????

Another advantage to prior experience with snorkeling in diving is that when someone progresses onward to scuba they actually know how to surface swim and don't need to learn that during a scuba course. They are also comfortable with putting their face underwater (ever have a student afraid to do that), not panicking when a little water enters their mouth and they don't try to float themselves as far out of the water as they can when waiting on the surface. The transition between surface and depth is melded instead of being an either or proposition. They are, basically, much more comfortable in the water. What a dumb idea.

I use one on every dive, I've always dove with one and it has never gotten in the way. If any surface swim is involved in the dive it's a huge help. It's a simple piece of gear that isn't bothersome, why wouldn't you use it? Same with the no knife/knife debate, it doesn't hinder you in any way, why dive with out it?

Beano, I still think you are trolling.

I still think you are wrong, and I just said why I do, rather than say you are trolling.

It's nice to be nice, and not call people names. Go on, give it a try.

Your example presupposes that some level of expertise makes one immune to the power of the ocean. Only a simpleton thinks that experience gives one power. It gives one judgment. In quarries and clam waters snorkels may be nice, but then agin so it swimming on the back. In surf, snorkles are as much as useless with a tank on, and thinking that having a snorkel extends ones abilities, gets people in trouble frequently, people who should be planning their dives to be able to finish the dive on scuba.

Snorkels don't help in surf.

---------- Post added ----------

I use one on every dive, I've always dove with one and it has never gotten in the way. If any surface swim is involved in the dive it's a huge help. It's a simple piece of gear that isn't bothersome, why wouldn't you use it? Same with the no knife/knife debate, it doesn't hinder you in any way, why dive with out it?

Because they are bothersome, they are a hazard underwater because they cause mask and entaglement problems , and they are not necessary, and in fact, counterproductive for most surface swims.

In fact they make surface swims more difficult because a snorkeler only has half a kick, whereas a diver on his back has the full kick available. Yes there is limited underwtaer visibility, but on the surface the hazards are not underwater, they are above water. Swimming on the surface with the face in the water is not particularly smart in the ocean, where there are boats. Divers swimming on their backs can see and communicate easily with boats.

Beano, I still think you are trolling.According to your analogy; drivers who can now buy a car that parallel parks itself need no longer require that skill themselves. Just because old farts used to do it is no reason the obviously more skilled and awesome modern drivers need to.

With back up sensors drivers also need not check what's behind them like those foolish old farts used to.

I just saw an advertisement for a car that will sense something ahead and brake so one doesn't hit it. The driver of tomorrow is going to be soooooo much more skilled and knowledgeable than the old farts of the past.

Or will this technology just allow more unskilled drivers to be on the road. Hummmm???????

Funny enough, drivers in (most of?) NA don't require the skill to drive a car with stick shift, while in many other countries, it's the first thing you learn in driving school. Just sayin'.

People will always disagree on how much, if any a snorkel assists on a long surface swim. If you "get in trouble" doing this something is amiss. You may want to surface swim from shore, dive, and leave 500 PSI upon surfacing. Then use snorkel to surface swim back to shore so as not to breathe your tank too low. Where I usually dive I've probably seen 5 boats in 7 years, none of which came within a mile of me. I would imagine that even in most places it is no problem to lift up your head and take a look. If there's so much traffic that this is dangerous perhaps a different site is the answer. If someone says a snorkel does or doesn't help with safety and efficiency, why would anyone say they are wrong? There are plusses and minuses with numerous pieces of equipment (yes, I have grabbed my snorkel maybe 4 times instead of my LPI, and yes, it does create a little more drag). It's such a silly arguement-- Can anyone tell of someone being in serious trouble or injured because of using a snorkel or not? Gets back to my "Who cares?"

knifes and snorkles are not the same.
a knife is usefull underwater-just as long as you dont do a rambo and attach it to your leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom