Do you dive with a snorkel!??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I challenge those who say that snorkeling/skindiving and scuba are two different activities. Look at every older scuba training book in existence and you will see a large section on it. The progression between the two is quite well documented. It's only the trend towards quicker certifications that has found training agencies dumping such skills in order to fit their foreshortened time line. I didn't do a CESA because it was too risky, I didn't doff and don below the surface because it was too hard. I had to wear a snorkel but was taught nothing about its use. Hell, the only focus on my actually being able to survive in the water at all was a few laps in the pool, which I was allowed to do any style and for as long as I needed. I think I may have startled my instructor when I did the last lap underwater.

Like others have said, it's a personal choice that largely depends on ones style of diving, locale and whether one has experience using one.

You are kidding, right? You are not seriously trying to say the snorkel almost got him killed, right? The snorkel will save you a minimal amount of air on the surface but that is not what it is for. Lets assume your buddy escaped the "snorkel death trap" and came up to the surface to find that the boat that brought him to the wreck left without him. How much air dose he have left? How long can he hold his 14 lb head above water after that air runs out? This is the simplest and cheapest of safety items a diver can carry. Spend the $5 on a used plastic tube and learn how to use it!

Wow really lol so what's a BCD for and if you ever see a non vacation diver chances are if they do any wreck diving they will be without a snorkel because yes it is an entanglement hazard.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Wow really lol so what's a BCD for and if you ever see a non vacation diver chances are if they do any wreck diving they will be without a snorkel because yes it is an entanglement hazard.

Yes a snorkel is a hazzard when penetrating a wreck (as mentioned many times on SB). I've heard some wreck divers attach it to the line outside the wreck. Or maybe when on the surface for a long swim they take it out of their pocket to use. A snorkel in rough water can help in addition to an inflated BC.

I don't dive with one hanging on my mask anymore. It just gets in the way and I don't really find the need on the surface for it either. I now have a pocket roll up snorkel to go in my pocket which quick clips onto my mask if I need it.

Exactly. Plus the use for it on a very long surface swim to the site in choppy water--on your back OR face down. Or just wanting to look at the bottom (if visible) during that long surface swim out and back--that may use considerable tank air due to the swimming involved. It has nothing to do with improving your sac rate or navigation skills. Not everyone dives from boats only. But it's all been said before. Personal preferance. No rights or wrongs.

This is why snorkels can be fun, (but none of this makes them the slightest bit necessary, or a piece of safety equipment, which is, I think, in agreemtn with what you said.).

I am all for having fun with snorkels, but they do not only not make diving safer, they are patently unsafe while actually diving because they are the root of most mask problems, and mask problems are the cause of most breath hold ascents.

And entanglement hazards etc.

They absolutely should not be part of the Open Water course, if for not other reason that then we might get a real Free-Diving Course out of PADI. Right now, every PADI dive instructor is magically assumed to be able to free-dive and they simply cannot.

I want to take a free diving course, but PADI's backassward approach to snorkel (making every dive instructor magically a free dive instructor, and putting snorkel use in a dive course) use makes it highly unlikely we will ever be able to actually recognize real free diving instructors, because right now everyone is one.

---------- Post added ----------

I challenge those who say that snorkeling/skindiving and scuba are two different activities. Look at every older scuba training book in existence and you will see a large section on it. The progression between the two is quite well documented. It's only the trend towards quicker certifications that has found training agencies dumping such skills in order to fit their foreshortened time line. I didn't do a CESA because it was too risky, I didn't doff and don below the surface because it was too hard. I had to wear a snorkel but was taught nothing about its use. Hell, the only focus on my actually being able to survive in the water at all was a few laps in the pool, which I was allowed to do any style and for as long as I needed. I think I may have startled my instructor when I did the last lap underwater.

Like others have said, it's a personal choice that largely depends on ones style of diving, locale and whether one has experience using one.

Did you know Hawaii used to not be a state? SO it is clear that Hawaii is not actually now a state.

Did you knwo women used to not be able to vote? So it is clear that they cannot actually now vote.

Old farts made lots of mistakes in diving. That's how we learned to take the swim test out of certification courses, from ralizing that old farts made a lot of mistakes in designing dive courses. We sued to require tables too, but then we realized that computers were just better all around, so now most divers don;t use tables.

This is why snorkels can be fun, (but none of this makes them the slightest bit necessary, or a piece of safety equipment, which is, I think, in agreemtn with what you said.).

I am all for having fun with snorkels, but they do not only not make diving safer, they are patently unsafe while actually diving because they are the root of most mask problems, and mask problems are the cause of most breath hold ascents.

And entanglement hazards etc.

They absolutely should not be part of the Open Water course, if for not other reason that then we might get a real Free-Diving Course out of PADI. Right now, every PADI dive instructor is magically assumed to be able to free-dive and they simply cannot.

I want to take a free diving course, but PADI's backassward approach to snorkel (making every dive instructor magically a free dive instructor, and putting snorkel use in a dive course) use makes it highly unlikely we will ever be able to actually recognize real free diving instructors, because right now everyone is one.

---------- Post added ----------

Did you know Hawaii used to not be a state? SO it is clear that Hawaii is not actually now a state.

Did you knwo women used to not be able to vote? So it is clear that they cannot actually now vote.

Old farts made lots of mistakes in diving. That's how we learned to take the swim test out of certification courses, from ralizing that old farts made a lot of mistakes in designing dive courses. We sued to require tables too, but thend we realized that computers were just better all around, so now most divers don;t use tables.
You have a very confused (and easily countered) set of misconceptions. Let's just deal with one: were it not for a bunch of old fart, free diving skilled, snorkel wearing, swim testing, NAUI instructors, specifically: Lloyd Austin, Jim Stewart, Paul Heinmiller, Glen Egstrom, Robert Given, Mark Flahan, Mike Lang a few others and myself, you'd still be using tables ... because computers would never have obtained the needed breakthrough acceptance that we provided back when there were only four types in existence.

I have seen wreck divers, they all wear back plates with wings. These are good for working in an overhead environment but not so good at keeping your head out of the water on the surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom