Do you dive with a snorkel!??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This would be hilarious were it not appalling. It almost sounds like the apprpriate response to a dangerous situation is a kind of passive acceptance of the circumstance while trying to attract the attention of some saviour. It's almost religious in its reliance on salvation. Every diver needs to develop the perspective of a solo diver, becuse in the final analysis they are.

People who can't swim will never be comfortable in the water. People who are not comfortable in the water should not be scuba diving. Being able to swim has saved countless lives, and snorkeling makes long distance swimming possible in many difficult circumstances. To claim otherwise is ridiculous.

To claim so is ridiculous. (See, I can play too.)

The ocean is so much more vast and so much more powerful than humans that thinking that we can go counter to its wishes is just appallingly stupid. Quarries, sure. Places with no current, sure. The actual ocean, no. Dive planning matters because we take what the ocean wants to do with us unto account, but in the end, there is no human strength that can actually counter even a rather mild ocean current.

Have fun in Palau swimming against the currents, since you think you can!

Yep, I always carry, usually concealed,I use it often,I stow it up the right leg of my shorty wetsuit with the mouthpiece hanging out, I can whip it out and stuff the tube under my mask strap and use it with no trouble. I usually use it when first in the water and waiting on the surface for the others to get in the water, helps me the air hog save air, I like having one with me and probably always will.
But who am I but a lowly OW cardholder with only 25 dives to my logbook.

To claim so is ridiculous. (See, I can play too.)

Have fun in Palau swimming against the currents, since you think you can!

Only a fool tries to swim against the current. I grew up in the ocean, and have dived (and snorkeled) in many places. I lived in the Caribbean for several extended periods, worked with local fisherman there and in SE Asia. I have a profound respect for the absolute and implacable power of the sea. It's my native element, in a way. I learned how to work within the limits the sea sets when I was a very small boy. Only an fool tries to work against the sea, and only a dry land fantasist poseur thinks the sea has wishes and a will. The sea is a force. It's neither necessary nor desirable to counter an ocean current, but swimming with or without a snorkel does not do that, any more than walking challenges the law of gravity.

The comments are so off the wall they can only be some sort of troll. To think that this is an instructor who will teach someone to become a diver :(

I think almost anyone can "dive" but to be a well rounded "diver" general watermanship skills and confidence in the water appear to me to be a bonus. Skindiving/snorkeling/freediving certainly is an excellent pathway to this. When you spend hours neutrally weighted, just above or below the surface you lose the fear of doing so. No fear, no panic. You also gain some understanding of how long and how far you can do it. Add SCUBA gear and that time lessens (without buoyancy) but you still know what your body is telling you.
I had thought, at first, that we had just missed her [sarcasm] tags.

This no need to know how to swim to dive has gotten me to thinking. Why do I need to walk? This is a great big world and I am "small and weak". I can get around more efficiently by getting one of those electric wheelchairs. Some use scooters while diving to counter currents and to conserve air, think about how much energy I can save if I don't walk. Last time I went to Walmart I saw a whole bunch of smart people conserving energy in electric wheelchairs. You can just look at them and see the energy they've reserved.

And the only two times I was actually pinned by monofilament was when it hung up on my knife and wrapped my leg behind me. Shielded rescue cutter? Sure. Sugical shears? Sure. Knife? Well if you want problems, carry a knife. A nice pointed tip one, 6" in length strapped to your legs so it can foul on monofilament, and then when you pull it out which you probably cannot since it is what is hung on the monofilament, it can rip a hole in your BCD, or exposure suit.

One of your problems is that you had the knife strapped to the lower part of your leg. It should be strapped to your thigh so the handle is where your hand would naturally come to rest against your leg. This will make it easier to both find and reach. Another problem is that you only had one knife. I also have a small lock blade knife clipped on my harness or BCD for cutting monofilament line. The larger knife is very sharp but more of a tool for prying and hammering. My larger knife is 7" not 6" but I have always been considered above average where it counts. That being said if you are not capable of handling a knife without stabbing yourself I would suggest you not carry one and find a safer sport.

snorkles are for snorkling

scuba gear is for diving

if you think your sac rate will improve by snorkling or you may have more air for the dive then thats not good.
learning proper dive skills is the way to improve air consumption.
if you cant find your way to the dive site , exit point or boat underwater then you need some nav practise -not a snorkle.
if you need one while waiting for your buddy to join you then why not consider kitting up at the same time and jumping in at the same time.

if you need something in your mouth at the surface then put a reg in-the gas use is minimal .

i witnessed someone hooked in a wreck by his snorkle and it was not nice.

i witnessed someone hooked in a wreck by his snorkle and it was not nice.

You are kidding, right? You are not seriously trying to say the snorkel almost got him killed, right? The snorkel will save you a minimal amount of air on the surface but that is not what it is for. Lets assume your buddy escaped the "snorkel death trap" and came up to the surface to find that the boat that brought him to the wreck left without him. How much air dose he have left? How long can he hold his 14 lb head above water after that air runs out? This is the simplest and cheapest of safety items a diver can carry. Spend the $5 on a used plastic tube and learn how to use it!

Never dove with a snorkel outside of class requirement. Hate the things.

You are kidding, right? You are not seriously trying to say the snorkel almost got him killed, right? The snorkel will save you a minimal amount of air on the surface but that is not what it is for. Lets assume your buddy escaped the "snorkel death trap" and came up to the surface to find that the boat that brought him to the wreck left without him. How much air dose he have left? How long can he hold his 14 lb head above water after that air runs out? This is the simplest and cheapest of safety items a diver can carry. Spend the $5 on a used plastic tube and learn how to use it!

Exactly. Plus the use for it on a very long surface swim to the site in choppy water--on your back OR face down. Or just wanting to look at the bottom (if visible) during that long surface swim out and back--that may use considerable tank air due to the swimming involved. It has nothing to do with improving your sac rate or navigation skills. Not everyone dives from boats only. But it's all been said before. Personal preferance. No rights or wrongs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom