Do you carry a knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not illegal to carry knife when diving in Egypt its just a recommendation from the local environmental agency.

It's the same with gloves; I let my guests wear them if they have a medical reason but not if it's for protection against coral cuts.

.....anders.....

I carry a knife on ALL my dives and im looking into getting another good curring device, like a scissor thing.
The exception is dive sites where knives is not allowed and thats also where a 2nd cutting device COULD be handy. As Da Aquamaster said, when you need a cutting device, you might need it BAD and thats when it would suck bigtime not having one.

I get really aggravated with the places that have no knives/no gloves rules--to the point that I refuse to spend my tourism dollars there. I understand, and already abide by a no touch policy, and I wouldn't dream of carving my initials into anything, buy a knife has always been part of my basic kit, and while I have never, in almost 20 years, needed my knife, I have also never needed my alternate air source. I still dive with both, because while I might not need either one on my next dive, then again I might.
well, speaking of Red Sea - Egypt; not only knives are prohibited, even the potential hazards that call for knives are not allowed (fishing (lines/nets...), spearfishing, reels with lines, ...etc.) so logically very low chance you'll need a cutting device for rescue, never heard of incident there to call for a cutting device use.
besides:
I take off the knife before I even go to the Red Sea. You will get jail time for having it. And I can't carry my emt shears there, either.

It's not illegal to carry knife when diving in Egypt its just a recommendation from the local environmental agency.
It's the same with gloves; I let my guests wear them if they have a medical reason but not if it's for protection against coral cuts.
.....anders.....
....what they said.
Um... you can always hide a pair of shears in your pocket, if it makes you feel better.. (I do that):D

The thing about a dive knife is that you never need one until you need one real bad.

If you become entangled in fishing line (often very hard to see if it has not been in the water long), a gill net or even your own dive line, a knife is an essential tool. The first death of a diver I personally knew involved a diver who drowned about a foot under the surface on a drift dive in low viz after getting entangled in his dive line and a submerged tree. To make it worse, he had a knife mounted on his calf where he could not reach it when he needed it.

Some lines, scuh as spider wire and steel leaders are very hard to cut with a knife so a pair of EMT shears is good to have along.

In springs, caves and quarries, I usually have a z-knife for lines and a small dive knife, both mounted where I can reach them with either hand. (In many quarries a dive knife is not allowed due to ignorant and thoughtless divers carving names in stuff, drying open mussels, etc, but they will often allow a Z-knife or EMT shears.) Off shore or in larger heavily fished lakes where tougher to cut leaders may be encountered, I add the EMT shears carrying them in a pocket.

Very well put. Most of my dives are in areas of high entanglement risk because they are heavily fished and dived, and they are around wrecks or artificial reefs. About six weeks ago, I had to share air at 78 ft. in open ocean with a diver who became entangled in a reel line while ascending and ran out of air while trying to remove his BCD and untangle the line from his tank valve. A week later, another buddy got "mildly" entangled in his own reel line while ascending in open ocean, so instead of trying to untangle it before it got bad, he learned from the lesson of the prior week and just cut his own line.

I can also name at least one incident where a diver had to leave his gear behind and surface from 50 ft. when he became entangled in fishing line while diving around a heavily fished wreck. I have read of one incident where a diver drowned trying to free herself from a fishing net during a commercial-type dive, but dropped her knife and couldn't reach it. Other entanglements come to mind where divers drowned after becoming entangled.

I have personally been "mildly" snared a couple of times by fishing line around wrecks, and came close to a reel line entanglement about a month ago, but ducked, grabbed the line, turned and faced it, then slowly worked myself away from it before it snagged my tank valve. I believe I would have been snagged several more times over the years if I had not been watching very closely and moving very slowly, which is what you should do, especially around wrecks and high entanglement risk areas. I have also used a knife to cut line when I used to spearfish years ago and got lines tangled up, and have seen several dive buddies use knives for the same purpose. One diver even went as far as using his knife the entire dive, poking around in the sand exploring so he wouldn't expose his fingers to the unknown (I don't agree with this use of a knife!).

Some certification agencies require at least one cutting tool for Rescue Diver level training or above, but I have always carried one. Now that I have named at least eight (8) specific incidents/reasons, you can understand why I always carry three cutting tools....one fixed blade titanium primary knife, one folding blade titanium backup knife, and EMT shears. I position each one where I can quickly grab them with either hand and just hope to heck I never have to use them again.

The key is to stop, think, act, and move slowly so a mild entanglement doesn't become a major one, but have a cutting tool just in case you need it.

Hope this helps!

I wear a knife in a sheath on my harness waist strap. I carry sea snips in my drysuit pocket. My opinion everyone should at least have one cutting tool regardless of your certification level or dive types. You never know when you will need one and for what. Do you want to be that one in a million incident everyone will talk about.

I carry two knives. One on my calf and one on my BC. I've had to use both at one time or another. I don't think anyone who supervises divers should be without one. New Divers usually won't have one because much of the time they rented their equipment and renting a knife just isn't seen as a necessary expense. Many divers on vacation don't have one either because they don't want a hassle at the airport, and yet again are renting equipment they couldn't bring. I've had to cut myself out of a couple situations and I've had to cut students out of more situations because they haven't quite got the hang of avoiding that fishing line quite yet.

I'd rather live and pay a fine than risk dying because I don't have my tools.

I wear a knife in a sheath on my harness waist strap. I carry sea snips in my drysuit pocket. My opinion everyone should at least have one cutting tool regardless of your certification level or dive types. You never know when you will need one and for what. Do you want to be that one in a million incident everyone will talk about.

Just to add something else... I understand that some areas, reefs do not allow knives to be worn and I understand as to why, again a good pair of scissors (seas snips) is also a good idea. they can be packed into gear for flight without hassles, you only need one hand without much leverage to cut yourself out of trouble.

I always carry a knife. I even carry a knife when we do pool sessions with students at the shop. If the military illustrated one thing to me, it's that simple things don't fail. Your complicated weapon may jam with sand, but your knife won't. This is why I don't carry trauma shears. They may cut through a penny, but I've broken about 5 pairs in combat. I carry a knife in my car, in my pocket, and on my dive gear. I didn't travel half way around the world to lose my life to a piece of nylon in 60 feet of sea water.

I have a zip knife that should work on most entanglements...not comfy carrying a big "pig sticker" on my leg though...I'd stab myself!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom