Do you carry a knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry a knife (smallest, cheapest one I can find); I haven't needed it yet and hope never to need it.

I carry 2 pair of EMT shears (one on each shoulder strap, inverted) and a blunt tip knife on my waist belt where I can reach it with either hand. The shears are best for cutting monofiliment or netting, but the knife comes in handy if there is any prying to be done.

If you carry a BIG knife be careful about entanglement hazards. Big knives on the outside of legs are almost sure to entangle kelp, if you swim through. Inside of leg is better but still a hazard. The real problem is that entanglement at the leg requires that you return along you path to disentangle/cut the kelp stipe. This opens you up for further entanglement at the but of your tank, or with other gear.`

I agree with a statement I heard in relation to location of a knife or sea snips. The statement was, they should never be placed on or in a divers area that can't be reached by both hands. This way if one hand or arm become entangled or incapacitated, the other will always be able to reach the knife or the snips. I won't mention names, but some technical agencies rather the knife be worn front and center, works good with hogartian style harness but not always with a bcd. Do what works best for you long as you can get it when you need it. IMHO

To me there are two distinct classifications of the knife/cutting tool... there's the emergency tool, and then there's the fish dispacher.
I usually carry a small knife front & center and shears in a pocket for emergencies. I did buy a fog-cutter knockoff and carry that sometimes.
When spearfishing I also carry my original Aqualung pig sticker (or other drop-point) for killing fish quickly.
I have a stout blunt tip for prying loose tasty shellfish & working on stuff...
knives.jpg

Rick

When I did my Instructor Development Course a few years ago my Course Director made a great point. One of the instructor candidates was geared up and ready to get into the water. The Course Director stopped him and asked him where his knife was. The candidate replied that he didn't always carry it when he was diving. The course director, in his best exaggerated "teacher making a point" voice told him "you are a certified diver and you are my dive buddy. You have a responsibility greater than just to yourself, you have a responsibility to help me if I get into trouble. I have enough respect for my buddy to carry a knife to help him. Show responsibility and respect for me, put your knife on"
I carry the Atomic Titanium Ti6 knife because it will never corrode. I also carry a pair of EMT shears (for stainless leader) but going to upgrade to the Dive Rite Titanium Shears, and on my BCD shoulder I carry a small Dive Rite Z-Knife (line cutting tool). When spearfishing I carry the Riffe Silencer with a teflon coated blade specifically for fish.
It's apparent from the replies on this thread that most of the experienced divers, and even most of the newer divers, understand the importance of wearing at least some type of cutting device

I carry a line cutter and a small knife mounted on my inflator hose. My husband and dive buddy has the same plus an emt shears. We have never needed them yet, but I know people who have had to cut themselves out of fishing line.

Knife on inflator hose? That's a new one to me? How's it done? Special scabbard, zip ties or bungee? Got pics?

Back
Top Bottom