Do you carry a knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's much easier to outswim the white if its after you bleeding buddy. :rofl3:
1st thing to learn in knife 101

I carry a 'dive tool' that happens to be knife shaped... :coffee:

Back in the dark ages when I got my original cert this was the way it was described to us... and the way I've viewed it ever since. That knife shaped thingie has a multitude of uses... not quite as many as in the days of "big honkin' knives"... but a multitude none the less.

I carry a leg mounted knife/multitool, a small one mounted on my inflator hose and a pair of emt shears on my waist band.

I have seen, or better put, heard a few people who carry knives; not only to cut nets, etc but also to get other divers' attention by using it to bang on a tank if necessary....

I carry a small blunt knife (sharp, I sharpened it my self), and a line cutter always. I often carry a pair of emt shears too. There are lines (steel leader, spectra, etc) that are incompatible with a knife.

BTW, double edged knives, like the Riffe Silencer, are illegal in california -- a felony with up to (i believe) 6 years possible, though 1 is more common, for simple possession. enjoy them, just dont get caught with them here :-(

In the 70's I had that honker of a Sea Hunt leg knife: combination knife, saw blade, 10'' prybar, hammer end, etc. Cool looking, but snagged on everything. Now one or 2 small knives, tucked in close, and they have yet to ever be really needed IN the water but they have come in handy both pre and post dive. Made sure both my teens were set up with small knives when they started diving because it is better to be perpared for that one rare emergency than suddenly, someday find one's self REALLY wishing I had it RIGHT NOW!!!

I always carry a double edge knife on my leg. You never know what you're gonna run into out there.

The thing about a dive knife is that you never need one until you need one real bad.

That's also true for the pry bar and jack that you don't carry while diving. There is an infinite variety of safety items that are not carried, but that would be excellent to have if you need one real bad. The line has to be drawn some place. I'm not arguing for or against knives. But, does a knife give a greater safety margin than an independent reg/second tank setup, or a second mask or a second pressure gauge?

I get really aggravated with the places that have no knives/no gloves rules--to the point that I refuse to spend my tourism dollars there. I understand, and already abide by a no touch policy, and I wouldn't dream of carving my initials into anything, buy a knife has always been part of my basic kit, and while I have never, in almost 20 years, needed my knife, I have also never needed my alternate air source. I still dive with both, because while I might not need either one on my next dive, then again I might.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom