Do you carry a knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry a line cutter and a small knife mounted on my inflator hose. My husband and dive buddy has the same plus an emt shears. We have never needed them yet, but I know people who have had to cut themselves out of fishing line.

I carry one, in case of entanglements, making noise, and care to guess what the other reason is? hint in photo :) Good to know about the red sea though, I guess I'll have to replace the knife with trauma shears when i go there next summer
GR_200703_scubalab_03.jpg

I have a belt knife mounted on four of my five BP/harnesses ... the one that doesn't have a knife is the lightweight one that only gets used in the pool or when I'm on vacation (often in places that prohibit dive knives) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I carry a knife strapped to my BC. I haven't needed it yet, but it's nice to know it's there if I do. Like I told my dive buddy, "If I see a big shark, I'll take out my knife. Then I'll stab you and swim away."

I carry a kinife on my waist band and a line cutter up on my shoulder. I had to use it once to cut myself from some fishing line at 70' in near zero viz at the local lake.

I carry a small blunt knife and EMT shears. I can't image a real diver without basic safety gear, maybe a tourist with a tank on their back, not a diver.

I have noticed that over the last 5 or so years many divers are not carrying a knife.

When I learnt to dive this was a basic, never to be left behind, piece of equipment. I am interested in why newer divers are not using one.

If you are not carrying a knife what are your thoughts?

regards

Ardy

Always carried one the 1st 4 or 5 years of diving(till late 80's)...Then we started diving the Caymans exclusively in the early 90's then Roatan from '94 till a couple years ago--both places didn't allow them in the 'parks'... I guess looking back I stopped due to habit---till last year...Have my original 2(a Wenoka & Tusa I believe) that I carried strapped onto my inner calf area--big pretty things also, lol..For some reason, last year I bought a 'prettier' smaller one & now carry it in a BC pocket(can hide it there)...Plus, not only do I now carry that knife, but I added a pair of dive scissors----I'm ready for anything now....:D

I did carry a small knife for a few years but never needed it. Then after 9/11 it seemed to be more of a hassle for a while to take it with me so I quit. Hadn't carried one since and for the type of diving I do I don't see the need for one. I think in all the years I have been diving I have seen one person use a knife and that was to cut a little fishing line from a crab.

Ya.. I carry a knife or two.. am currently looking at the Riffe Silencer..
6600.jpg

Back
Top Bottom