Do you avoid people with bad sac rates?

At what sac rate do you avoid diving with someone?

• 0.50+

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • 0.75+

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • 0.85+

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • 0.95+

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • 1.00+

Votes: 14 43.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't say that I *avoid* diving with anyone with a bad SAC rate, however, that's not to say I don't attempt to pair divers logically. If it's my usual buddy and two others, my usual buddy and I will pair up so the other two can ascend while we continue the dive. (My buddy is a borderline compressor.) If we split our usual buddy team up, we'd have to re-buddy on the bottom or all cut out dives shorter, and that wouldn't be logical (unless it is required due to deficiencies in required skills -- then we'll split ourselves up to better keep tabs on everyone.)

If I know in advance that I'm going to be diving with an "air hog" (don't make me get all PC and say, "substantial breather"... it just takes way too long to type :biggrin:), I'll alter my dive. No point in diving a 100cf 36% nitrox tank if you're going to end with 1800 psi and not get anywhere near the air NDLs thanks to your buddy's SAC and cylinder choice (i.e. rented 80 of fast-moving air). If I'm thrown together without time to make reasonable decisions about my plan and gear loading, I may be somewhat less than thrilled. I'll never mind "wasting" a fill by having a dive called early, but it feels a lot more like being ripped off when I know before the dive that it's pointless. (Sometimes, nitrox can be $15 a tank more than air, which I can get for under $5.)

So, basically, as long as it's an informed decision, I'll certainly dive with an air hog. (If it's an instabuddy, I'll usually assume toward the high end, unless they actually have their SAC at hand.)

It's usually another reason that is overwhelmingly more significant, anyway. I dive with my usual buddy because we're good friends who dive together enough to be borderline telepathic, i.e. because it's comfortable. I'll dive with my usual buddy because we're going to be the two from our group diving drysuits (I've had mine for ages now, and my influence has been rewarded with a buddy-gear upgrade) or perhaps just because we want to dive nitrox while everyone else is air. We'll split up for a dive to assist less-skilled buddies that need experienced divers to learn good skills from. We'll split up because I'm doing the DM thing with a class. It's almost never air consumption that determines our buddy assignments, but it *can* be if all else is equal.

Oh, and in Bonaire this August, I'll dive as much as possible with the diver I love (regardless of her air consumption or lack of experience), and my usual buddy (who happens to be her older sister) will surely be fine with the rest of the family, air hogs though they may be as well. :D
Love having options and I will dive with anyone who wants to get wet as long as they are not in a dry suit!
Just curious, but is it an intrinsic dislike of drysuits, or is it just a temperature thing? I only ask because it's quite rare to hear of a wet diver saying they won't dive with a dry diver; it's usually the other way around (since the dry diver is usually quite contentedly warm, barring a suit flood, when the wet diver is turning all shades of not-pink).

...that's why God invented 100cf tanks (to match up with my air-sipper wife's 63cfooter)...

Because if you like to get wet and you wear a dry suit your too freaky for me! Or your P-valve is broke? :D:wink::mooner::rofl3:

...and of course, what a bad sac rate implies about the diver them self.

And what does characterizing a relatively high SAC rate as being "bad" imply about a diver them self?

Judging a diver by their SAC rate is unfair and unrealistic. There are just way to many variables that come into play that change SAC rates on a daily basis.

Gary D.

SAC rates do go up and down depending on cold, stress, workload, or just plain being off your game on that particular day. I'd rather dive with a new diver trying to improve their skills and having a SAC rate of 1.0+, than dive with an accomplished console dragger who knows everything.

I think it depends on the dive...for regular, local, "rec diving" I couldn´t care less...
If I travel half-way around the world and end up surfacing with half a tank left, I´ll buddy with someone else on the next dive...

I'll go for dive 2 with the same "air hog", they'll have a better idea of what to expect this time around, and we might match your SAC on our second dive. We'll beat you on our third.:D

You'll be begging to dive with us in a day or so.:14::14::14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom