Do you avoid people with bad sac rates?

At what sac rate do you avoid diving with someone?

• 0.50+

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • 0.75+

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • 0.85+

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • 0.95+

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • 1.00+

Votes: 14 43.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alphonsis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just curious. I guess it also depends on what you consider to be a bad sac rate, and of course, what a bad sac rate implies about the diver them self.

I've never actually been selective on buddies based on SAC rate, but...

Mine usually hovers around 0.50 (obviously depending on conditions etc). Diving with someone in the 0.75+ range would mean they're breathing 150% of my SAC rate -- a pretty sizable difference. For most dives, however, it wouldn't be something I'd be concerned about in the slightest. :)

I wouldn't base a dive buddy on sac rate. The sac rate would determine the time/depth and other factors of the dive.

I am picky about my dive buddies, but I cannot remember the last time I asked someone what their sac rate is. I ask someone how many dives they have over the past year. Some people don't know how to calculate their sac rate and still have a good one!

Some of the best times I have ever has been with heavy :gorgeous: breathers.

Here's how the numbers work :doctor:: Surface Air Consumption Rate

The calculations shown yield whole number results, not fractions so what the %$#@ does a .5 SAC mean?

For example for my first 84 dives my average SAC by the above referenced calculation is about 28, so what does that mean for your fractions?

Mike

The calculations shown yield whole number results, not fractions so what the %$#@ does a .5 SAC mean?

For example for my first 84 dives my average SAC by the above referenced calculation is about 28, so what does that mean for your fractions?

Mike
I think that link is using PSI/min, so you would have to convert your 28 PSI/min to cft/min. Of course, this will vary with your tank size and pressure when full.

Assuming you are using an AL80 which is full at 3000 PSI, and using an old Navy trick, your 28 PSI/min would be .72 cft/min.

Basically, to go from PSI/min to cft/ min, multiply by volume of the tank in cft, then divide by the pressure when full. In your case, 28 PSI/min * 77.4 cft / 3000 PSI.

My sac rate is good, well below .50 but..... if my wife based her dive buddies on sac rates, she'd be a solo diver all the time so, they make bigger tanks for lousy sac rates.

One concern about sac rates is most of the time it indicates an inexperienced or nervous diver.

If their low on air I guess there dive is over? I am not sure how that effects me? I can find another buddy, end dive, wave good bye, give the okay sign, or continue my dive! Love having options and I will dive with anyone who wants to get wet as long as they are not in a dry suit!

So are recreational divers now required to wear their most recent SAC rate labeled on their suits....:rofl3: that's of course assuming they even have a clue as to what it is, or even what a SAC rate represents.

Back
Top Bottom