Do we need instructors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a several problems with the mentoring approach:

(1) While there are enthusiastic divers who want to teach that enthusiasm generally fades after a period of time, especially if they are doing it gratis.

(2) There are loads of newish divers with 30 to 50 dives who think they know much more about diving that they do, and they will become the instructors causing a downward spiral.

(3) Who is going to set the standards with this approach? Many of the arguments on this board are about standard or the lack thereof.

(4) Many if not a large majority of the potential students out there want to get in, and get out, at minimum cost. You can bemoan the lack of skill that results, but the commercial agencies are filling the demand that is there. And the bodies do not seem to be stacking up.

I think you need to define Instructors, Teachers, Gurus and Mentors.

Ok, I'll take a stab at it :D These would be my definitions, as such are almost certainly wrong :wink:

In the context of this topic "Do we need instructors"? :

Instructor: Card-carrying professional scuba instructor. Took the course, got the cert, has the insurance, has the t-shirt, cap and shoulder patch :D

Teacher: Someone who has the ability, whether innate or acquired, to communicate new ideas and skills effectively to students. An "instructor" may or may not be a teacher, a teacher may or may not be an instructor.

Mentor: I would define a mentor as someone who "takes you under their wing" and teaches you a skill in a non-classroom environment. Could an instructor also be a mentor? Yes! But only if he is "teaching" on his own time, and not as part of a formal class. With scuba, when folks refer to "mentor" they usually just mean a more-experienced dive buddy.

Guru: Guru's of any kind scare me :D And the flowing robes, wild hair and long beards pose serious entanglement risks underwater :rofl3:

This post and my original one are in no way meant as a "slam" on instructors. Most of the instructors I’ve known were very passionate about what they do, and are good teachers.

But I do not believe it is absolutely necessary from a safety standpoint to hold an instructor's certification in order to "teach" scuba. I believe many experienced divers who also have an ability to teach would do a wonderful job teaching scuba.

Would I consider myself qualified to teach scuba?

A resounding No!

I'll always be a student.

Even though I may have more lifetime dives than some newly minted dive instructors, I don't have a broad enough variety in the types of dives I've done, or enough skill as either a diver or teacher to ever consider teaching scuba.

Best wishes.

Instructors could be done away with in seconds if the mentors you describe all establish basic standards that would allow the dive community to agree on the mastering of the knowledge and skills required for the goals and tasks desired by the student in each underwater hurdle. From open water diving to trimix they would decide as a group what was considered "good enough".

The mentors that created those standards could create an association and call themselves by a cool name.

The ones that made a living teaching rec divers would be Professional members of that Association of Dive Instructors.

The ones that worked more with Technical Divers Internationally would have to consider another name altogether.
This is the way that the second set of recreational standards, that became NAUI were developed.
NAUI think that may be a bit of a stretch.
If they did they'd be denying their own origins.
Well.... a couple of things would obviously happen.

1) any kind of consistency in the training would be lost.
Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds ..." Emerson.
Everyone would make up their own course and teach to their own standards. Some of those would surely be excellent but some of them would undoubtedly blow worse than you can imagine. For example, I recall a story from an ex- scubaboard member about his OW training. He was trained by a "lay-instructor" and was strapped into a scuba-set, pushed over-board and told "never hold your breath". That was his OW course. You would seem to *assume* that eliminating instructors would improve training, but in many cases, I would bet that OW training would revert to the kind of antics we saw before the agencies standardized things....
What were the "antics" and when did the agencies standardize things? From my perspective there where no antics until the agencies after LA County came on the scene, and things have not been standardized since.
2) People would still have accidents. About 90% of accidents happen after the training, not in the training. The difference would be that there would be no systematic way of evalutating how the training should be improved to avoid accidents. Tbh, I'm not sure how much of that gets done now but I'm pretty sure that a lot of analysis of accident stats initially went into defining standards. For example, we all learn to breathe off of a freeflowing regulator because at some point the agencies thought it was important. Take out the agencies and some of your "lay-instructors" will decide it's not important and we'd probably see some increases in certain types of accidents and a general loss of grip as to what we should and should not be teaching.
The analysis is primarily looking at liability and how to reduce it, not accidents and their actual causes to limit them. Not the same thing, not the same result.
3) in terms of the acutal teaching, I would expect to see an increase of training related accidents. It's not that I think that instructors are incredibly well prepared for their task now, but the ones who teach a lot soon gain a much larger awareness and "radar" for problems. This "experience" element would be lost if we did away with instructors because nearly everyone would be teaching less.
What the data suggests is that the height of in-training fatalities occurred when PADI had it's huge late 70s/early 80s expansion and this did not involve uncertified instructors or mentors.
4) I would expect a further decay in the position of the LDS because they wouldn't be able to use training as a bait to get people in the door. They'd have to wait around until someone got trained by their neighbour and came to buy stuff. In general, I would expect the industry as we know it to vastly shrink in size.
When there were no agencies LDS did fine teaching courses and issuing their own cards.
I think that's naive.
I don't.

I think you could compare that to learning how to drive a car. In some places the parents can still "instruct" their children when they have a learner's license.

Two things can be said about that. 1) most people don't drive well enough themselves to be "let loose" to instruct their children regarless of how much time they have and/or if they really want to do it right and (2) there is a very good reason why this is not allowed in big cities, namely that "professional" driving instructors are better at it.

I think you could draw a parallel there.
I think the "parallel" isn't.
R..

As far as I know, the BSAC teaches to CMAS standards. It's not quite what Bryan is talking about. He's talking about throwing out the books and letting everyone just figure it out for themselves....

R..
No. BSAC teaches to BSAC standards, CMAS defines how those standards cross-reference to other agencies. BSAC Standards were not developed to meet CMAS anything.
I guess the real heart of the question is whether or not the phenomenon "modern scuba instructor" following "agency standards" results in worth while training.
In many cases I'd argue that it does not.
There are many threads and many thousands of posts from people (one could say arm-chair quarterbacks) who don't seem to believe so.

I don't think burning the books is the solution, though. There are certainly problems with the system we have but throwing out the baby with the bathwater isn't the solution.

R..
I think most of the agency produced books are rather poor when compared with books that have been produced outside of the agencies ranging from New Science to the NOAA and Navy Manuals.
I guess part of what brought this thread about was the constant talk about the low standards of diving. On the one hand, not many people are dying so I guess it works. On the other hand the standards are so low that the main reason for taking the classes is only because you have to.
There is truth to that.
... One thing I object to, and I've mentioned this before, is that *standards* are not necessarily the problem. The standards are not that low. What sometimes gets confused is "standards" versus "instructor judgment". In many skills the bar for proficiency is set more by the instructor's judgement than the letter of the law. If we have issues with poor training, then I would suggest that instructors and not agencies are to blame. Some people blame the agencies for giving the instructor too much "wiggle room" but the basic problem is still that there are some (many) below-par instructors out there.

R..
Yes.
I would ask if we need certification.
Instructors are necessary. A mentoring system would have people cutting corners the whole time especially with family and friends.
"Dad, do really need to perform this skill again?"
"Naw, it's lunch time, let's call it a day".

Unfortunately, without badges and pass/fail authority over people, it would be an even bigger mess than the one we currently have. Most young people I have instructed didn't really want to learn, they just wanted the C card. The sad part is their university educated $100,000 a year income parents are often the same way too!

The most important part of being an Instructor is your ethos and how you instill that in your students and the divers you guide.
I think we need both, and I disagree that parents would slow off critical items like that the way many instructors have been know to.
... What I would love to see is an agency offering an open examination process where anyone, mentored or from another agency, can get an 'official' recognition of their expertise. A hard written test, a dive log check, and a checkout dive or two.
Excellent concept. That's what the "check out dive" used to be about.
The only reason the c-card system exists is that, for the most part, LDSs control the air. They want to sell training and equipment and to do that they limit air to those who have had training. Boats and resorts control the air to limit their liability.

If you have your own compressor, and many do, there are no rules. You can do anything you want, any time you want. There is, AFAIK, no legal requirement to be a certified diver before diving from a public beach. Other than in Quebec and I won't be diving there anyway.

I went to an LDS one time and I asked about buying a BC for my grandson. As he wasn't yet old enough to be certified, they wouldn't sell it to me. That was pretty naive. I just ordered it online.

If I were so inclined, I could fill my grandson's tanks using my c-card. It's no longer necessary but it was always possible. Even if the shop was suspicious about why I was filling Al 50's, I doubt that they would ask.

Am I arrogant enough to believe I could have done a better job than his instructor? Absolutely! There is not a doubt in my mind. And he would have had to MASTER the dive tables. None of this eRDP crap.

The BSAC manual is a good reference. Actually, that old "The New Science of Skindiving" manual is still pretty relevant. There is a lot of good non-agency training material around.

But I don't believe the system is broken to the extent that eliminating the instructors is the solution. I'm not even sure there is a problem worth solving.

If 82% of the fatalities occur in divers over 40, just put an age limit on diving. If there is a problem, this will solve it.

Richard
You are right, it is more about gate-keeping that training or safety.

Do you really believe that???:confused:

I just don't see an experience diver father cutting corners with his wife or children. But I do see and have seen "professional" instructors push poorly prepared new divers through their training schedule. And by some miracle, those same divers make it through their certification dives - with the same instructor, of course.

For a start, how about if all certification dive were done by referral so there is an independent (of the trainer) confirmation that training was adequate.
I don't believe it!
My concern would be that people don't know what they don't know, and before they mentor, they should be very experienced and an effective teacher. I would only want a really experienced mentor. Yes, it would be up to me to find one.
I also believe that the current system works fine. The vast majority of people that get certified either never dive after their vacation, or dive so infrequently that they might as well turn in their fins. What we need to do is create a way to get more people to stay in the sport after certification. This would take a circle of friends within the sport. Most people who do stuff, do so with friends, softball teams, bowling leagues, etc.
That "vast majority" need "prefessional" instruction that is much better than that which they get now. The stay-at-homes might do better with a good mentoring program however.
Yes, I do, otherwise I wouldn't say so

I have been behind some professional driving instructors and it wasn't pretty.
Downright ugly.

There are a several problems with the mentoring approach:

(1) While there are enthusiastic divers who want to teach that enthusiasm generally fades after a period of time, especially if they are doing it gratis.

(2) There are loads of newish divers with 30 to 50 dives who think they know much more about diving that they do, and they will become the instructors causing a downward spiral.

(3) Who is going to set the standards with this approach? Many of the arguments on this board are about standard or the lack thereof.

(4) Many if not a large majority of the potential students out there want to get in, and get out, at minimum cost. You can bemoan the lack of skill that results, but the commercial agencies are filling the demand that is there. And the bodies do not seem to be stacking up.
(1) and (2) are well taken, but can be as easily applied to the "professional" instructors that are out there today. (3) The arguments are mainly about the PADI "floor and ceiling" standards vs. the NAUI style "floor only" standards. (4) That is a situation (and a demand) that has been created by the fast-buck artists who run much of the diving industry, I feel no need to pander to it.

So maybe we have some climbers cum divers here on the board who could give us their take on the question as to if / why one of the activities requires formal instruction whereas the other doesn't? I do only a little climbing occasionally not at a very advanced level at all, so to me the two seem pretty comparable as I said above, but I'm really interested in other people's opinion there.

I rock climbed a lot in my early 20's. No instruction; just a partner who was better than I (at least when I started). He gave no instruction; we just climbed. There is no reason instructors should be needed for diving, but not for climbing. Same with skiing and ski racing. I learned from my parents because they took me places to ski. We went skiing daily. I was always better than any early years' instructors and it wasn't until high school age that I had instructors who knew enough to teach me ways of racing that actually helped. Going 60-80 mph on skis requires skill, but not coaches/instructors. Going the fastest possible under particular conditions may require advanced instructors. Same with diving. Ordinary recreational diving does not fall into a special category of sport that requires an instructor any more than basic recreational skiing. I would have absolutely no qualms teaching someone to ski or dive recreationally. Anyone learning skiing from me can go anywhere in the world to ski, subject to their own judgments about their own abilities. Not so for diving. They need and "official stamp of approval" from some organization.

One can become a "minister" via the internet (see here for one of several websites). Maybe one could set up a similar dive cert awarding organization--a cert card for $25 via the internet. The "public option dive society" (PODS) certification will get you air access. And, you have no depth limit, merely recommendations that you don't do anything stupid and to ask Thalassamania for instruction if you are going be under water for more than 3 minutes (ask for help first, by the way; not after the accident). One could also argue that performing marriage ceremonies is committing the benefiting couple to a more dangerous path than any dive:wink:.

Last edited:
Scuba certification started as a voluntary undertaking by both the the instructors (LA County and YMCA) and the trainee similar to the swimming classes these two organizations provided. You didn't need a swimming certification to enter a public pool or a scuba certification to go diving. Common sense hopefully would prevent the non swimmer from jumping into the deep end of the pool and also drive the diver to acquire at least some knowledge before jumping into the ocean.

Certification and licensing by the government is by far designed to protect the general public from the acts of other and not to protect the one committing the act. Help me here, but I can not think of any othe mandated certification or licensing which sole purpose is to protect the individual from his own actions as scuba supposedly is designed to do.

What is neded is something similar to the Equine Law that is in 38 states. The Equine industry sees about 100 people a year die in the US from horse-related injuries. About 30,000 are injured, 10,000 of them seriously (most of the serious injuries are to the head and neck - not good places to get hurt.)

Yet despite this, you don't see anyone ask you for a certification card when you buy or hack out a horse (rent one for an hour or more from a livery.) Indeed, the only card you need is a credit card.

Mentoring is a good method of teaching but the problem is that a single mentor may not have access to all of the new information available, current advancements in gear or new teaching techniques.

Certification and licensing by the government is by far designed to protect the general public from the acts of other and not to protect the one committing the act.

I see three goals in certification:
  1. Trust between divers: as a diver, you should be able to trust the certification and do a first dive with a new buddy being confident he can handle himself.
  2. Operation planning: a boat operator or an instructor needs to know what level of service a diver will need. Experienced divers are happy with a spot on a bench, beginners may require a very detailed briefing, assistance with gear, getting in and out of the boat and sometimes a guide. Certification in its current state seems to help there (?). This benefits all divers, not only the operator, as a couple divers monopolizing all the crew degrade the service for everyone else.
  3. Operator moral (if not legal) responsibility: it's not fun to hand someone gear or gas and see the accident report the day after. To some extent, this is protecting the diver from himself, but although it makes me cringe I can understand that a shop prefers to have a 'no card no gas' policy than taking the time to assess unknown customers.

Which aspect could be dealt with by checking the number of dives, mentor recommendation, legal discharges, 'official' certification or industry practices is up for debate. I guess it depends how tolerant you are to legal hassle and Darwin awards.

As an individual diver, I have very little trust in PADI OW/AOW which most of the divers have - so ditching those and relying on dive logs would be fine with me. I know I can rely on a Rescue diver to at least handle himself in good conditions, although mentor recommendation or number of dive is still a better indicator. And I'm ready to trust more thorough certifications (GUE OW, Cave, Tech,...) until proven otherwise, and those have better value than a dive log.

Mentoring is a good method of teaching but the problem is that a single mentor may not have access to all of the new information available, current advancements in gear or new teaching techniques.

I had no mentor and quite readily adapted to new gear such as BC's, computers, revised tables and the single hose regulator. Once a student learns the basic principles adaptation shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
Can you help out with a few examples of advancements in gear and teaching techniques that fall into that category?

Can you help out with a few examples of advancements in gear and teaching techniques that fall into that category?

In light of the original poster's question:
Should non-instructors teach other's to dive?

First let me say that I'm a big fan of mentoring. The only issue I see is that in some cases, the mentor may very well be a master of what they have learned and a good teacher. However, if the teacher/mentor was never exposed to some aspects, how would the be able to pass them along?

We are living is a wonderful time where information is readily available but experience may not so easily gained.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom