Do they even exist? LP tanks 13 to 19 cf?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good to know. Won't be overfilling. It is a regular occurance on Bonaire for example. Why I was misinformed. Checking pressure before putting tanks in the truck you regularly find cool tanks at 3300-3500 psi. I guess that's not really much overfill on an al-80 cf
That's a LOT of overfill on a standard 80, especially in the conditions those tanks are abused in

I have one 2015psi AL14 left in my stable. I guess I should have actually put it next to my al19 lol. They were "the same" in my head at the time.

I had one fail hydro rather dramatically a few years ago 22% permanent expansion - way past the limits. The hydro shop told me this is common with all the 2015psi aluminums they see (is a very common medical O2 tank standard). They either pass or the fail by huge margins. I doubt medical o2 tanks are being overfilled, seems to be a function of their thin wall dimensions.

@rjack321 and the fact that it's nearly impossible to actually get medical O2 above 2000psi, either from the compressors that pump it, or the boosters that are designed for it

I have a 2015 psi 19 cf in the retired pile. It's made from the bad aluminum alloy that has been discontinued.

Any 2015psi pony that I come across gets checked for alloy type.

In the "good" pony pile, I currently have AL6, AL13, AL19, AL30 & one HP steel that may be 2l or 3l, I need to look at that one. I don't use it often.

There are two different flavors of the AL30. One is short & fat. The other is tall & skinny. I may make mini doubles out of the skinny 30's some day.

The AL tanks are all 3,000psi. The steel pony is higher than that, but again, I need to look if I don't want to post a bad number.

Checking pressure before putting tanks in the truck you regularly find cool tanks at 3300-3500 psi.
I've been going to Bonaire for 23 years and not once have I had a cool tank that showed 3300-3500.

I have a 2015 psi 19 cf in the retired pile. It's made from the bad aluminum alloy that has been discontinued.

Any 2015psi pony that I come across gets checked for alloy type.

In the "good" pony pile, I currently have AL6, AL13, AL19, AL30 & one HP steel that may be 2l or 3l, I need to look at that one. I don't use it often.

There are two different flavors of the AL30. One is short & fat. The other is tall & skinny. I may make mini doubles out of the skinny 30's some day.

The AL tanks are all 3,000psi. The steel tanks is higher than that, but again, I need to look if I don't want to post a bad number.
How many tanks with "bad" alloy are in your pile?

How many tanks with "bad" alloy are in your pile?
I have one tank with bad alloy at this time. It's not for sale. The rest of the retired pile has genuine defects & is also not for sale. Those tanks will get cut up & used as material in my machine shop. In the past, they have ended up becoming things like oil tanks for custom motorcycles, press blocks, ornamental rings in metal furniture, etc.

Current scrap price for 60 series aluminum is around 50 cents per pound. That's plan B. I'm not putting dangerous tanks back into service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom