Do they even exist? LP tanks 13 to 19 cf?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got a lp14 (2015psi). Its about the same physical size as an al19. It was a gift. If I was looking to buy another I'd just buy an al19. The al19 holds a little more gas at the same fill pressures and can safely filled to more than the 14.

The Al19's are 2.25" taller than the lp14s. The diameter is the same. The lp14's also weigh less than al13 or al19s. Here is a pic of all three side by side.

IMG_20200304_212802.jpg

My head hurts. In a cross fill from a full al-80 I calculate
15.25 cf into a Catalina 19,
15.8 into a Luxfer 19 and
11 cf into a 13.

If I could get a 2015 psi 14 a crossfill gives of 17.6 overfilled.

I was looking into getting a tank that I could do short monkey dives with. The only one that makes sense (small enough with enough breathable gas to make it worth it) is the one I can't get. Oh well.

My head hurts. In a cross fill from a full al-80 I calculate
15.25 cf into a Catalina 19,
15.8 into a Luxfer 19 and
11 cf into a 13.

If I could get a 2015 psi 14 a crossfill gives of 17.6 overfilled.

I was looking into getting a tank that I could do short monkey dives with. The only one that makes sense (small enough with enough breathable gas to make it worth it) is the one I can't get. Oh well.
I understand what you are trying to do, I like the concept but with the can’t find it tank for it I guess it’s moot but a s19 can work if you have access to more than one tank at a time, I get unlimited tank at Bonaire and curacao, maybe transferring from one and top off from another will get you into the 17 cf range, maybe??

For the record, Overfilling aluminum tanks is a bad idea.

I thought is was a common practice - cave fills and such. What is the basis for your claim?

I thought is was a common practice - cave fills and such. What is the basis for your claim?
Not aluminum. Cave fills are standard practice on steel tanks, but never aluminum.

Cave fills are for steel tanks only and mostly 2400psi and above tanks.
Older lower pressure tanks (1850psi, 2250psi) get treated differently, they dont get overfilled as much. Some folks wont over fill the lower pressure ones by more than 10%.

Aluminum tanks dont stretch. They can get brittle over time from overfilling due to microscopic cracks. When they fail it is sudden and catastrophic. Search the board, plenty of examples

You could also try an aluminium 30 at D 5.5 and 22 L Not much larger than an AL19

we don't cave fill aluminums, especially not those 2015 tanks. Normal 3000psi bottles will get filled to 3300 and they'll cool off to 3000 ish, but cave filling aluminums is really sketchy.

Good to know. Won't be overfilling. It is a regular occurance on Bonaire for example. Why I was misinformed. Checking pressure before putting tanks in the truck you regularly find cool tanks at 3300-3500 psi. I guess that's not really much overfill on an al-80 cf

Back
Top Bottom