Do people actually dive in the UK or is it myth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was it calm in the west today? - We had fantastic weather on the North Coast, left Groats about 9, nipped accross the Pentland Firth, 2 dives in Scapa, lunch in Stromness then back in time for tea - all in all a great day out

Was it calm in the west today? - We had fantastic weather on the North Coast, left Groats about 9, nipped accross the Pentland Firth, 2 dives in Scapa, lunch in Stromness then back in time for tea - all in all a great day out

Yeah, it was a lovely clear day yesterday. Viz maybe not as good as i would have hoped but we had 2 shore dives near Arrochar. Nipping across to scapa for the day sounds like fun.

Hello mate!
Im up by STONEY COVE, but come down to Portsmouth with Fathom and Blues a lot.
My other half is a Diver, but she is now pregnant with our first child, so i have to beg about for buddies to dive with. I have spare tanks and weights if you have regs, suit and the small stuff!
Ive been to brighton, tried diving off the WEST PIER, but the vis was so bad, i aborted the dive.
Not only that, we got stung a couple of times by Jellyfish!

If you want to come up to Stoney, or maybe meet halfway at Wraysbury, i can bring a cylinder for you and dive.

For me its the some of the best wreck diving in the world. yes its more challenging and owning all you own kit including tanks is helpful.
There are so many choices and options along the west country and the south east from Cornwall, Swanage, Portland/Weymouth through to Brighton and all the coast in between. Also many charters run the short distance over so you can pick up the D-Day wrecks along the French north coast.
You don't always need a drysuit and towards the end of the year a good 5 or 7mm is sufficient.
Great second dive options include Scallop and lobster infested reefs where you can practice your crab wrestling skills, or sit and fish for suicidal mackerel during your SI for a nice onboard barbecue or take them home for the wife.

GRRRRRRR
Lovely weather down here too, but had other commitments (it being springs like) I'm not jealous - honest!!!!!!

glad you had a good day!

The UK has great diving, its a bit trickier than other places, but if you can dive here, then you can dive almost anywhere! Places like Pembrokeshire, Weymouth and around Cornwall, not to mention Scottish waters (eg Scapa flow) are great, the marine life particularly in the Marine Parks is just amazing!! Safety is key and the skills required really prepare you for difficult situations and reinforces why you need a buddy. Weather can be a problem and diving in the summertime is very popular, it also takes a bit more effort overall. If you get the chance give it a go!

The UK has great diving, its a bit trickier than other places, but if you can dive here, then you can dive almost anywhere! Places like Pembrokeshire, Weymouth and around Cornwall, not to mention Scottish waters (eg Scapa flow) are great, the marine life particularly in the Marine Parks is just amazing!! Safety is key and the skills required really prepare you for difficult situations and reinforces why you need a buddy. Weather can be a problem and diving in the summertime is very popular, it also takes a bit more effort overall. If you get the chance give it a go!

Well said! I'd second that. We do have some fab sites in good old blighty - if the weather doesn't let you down it can be awesome in the winter too - less divers and clearer water once green has all been killed off :)

I agree totallty that the UK has some fantastic diving, but I'm not convinced that it has to be any harder than anywhere else in the world, with the correct training and attitude then it doesn't have to be challenging - even the likes of scapa are perfectly within reach of most sport divers, and there's many a diver started his or her diving career with a gentle round the barrier wrecks or a simple harbour dive such as Scarfskerry Haven.
As a wreck diver I think that whilst winter is a bit more iffy in some ways, the clearer visibility in the north makes it my favorite time or year, though RIB's become a little miserable come January - and I can go to Scapa and have the entire wreck all to myself which is always awesome....roll on Saturday :)

Might be doing my very first night dive at Capernwray on the 18th. Not nervous at all LOL

:panicbutton:

Good luck (with the weather, you don't need it for anything else).

let us know how you get on

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom