Do people actually dive in the UK or is it myth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey You owe me :D,so come over and dive.Guess we can get some others to join in aswell.:rofl4:
I'll probably pop over for a weekend in July or August. I'll be the one wearing a trilby and chewing nicotine replacment lozenges. Jeez, Chandler would have had his work cut out in the 21st century. Where in The Netherlands are you?
Everybody's close to Zeeland... :)

Costa Brava had great swim thru's and small islands that you dove around......

Illes Medes is a marine reserve with tons of sea life and underwater geology........

I thought is was a great combination of top side fun (food, people and drink), great dive operation (I used the Hotel Les Illes S.A.), easy access (short boat ride), great vis (went twice in Novmber the vis was marginal to OK, in June it was great) and lots to see underwater.........

I watched a grouper and octopus stalk each other.........not sure which attacked first but the grouper took off and the octopus ended up under a rock.......

The final point was the friendliness of the divers there, I showed up as a solo diver and had no issues finding buddies and having a great three days......all wraped up in picturesque little Spanish port............

Check out the link I found - a BASC trip report........

BSAC TRAVEL CLUB - Trip Reports - Estartit and the Medas Islands, Spain

Hope this helps.......M

This thread is hillarious. The OP asks about diving in the UK and most of the replies are about diving in the Netherlands or Spain! :doh2:

Not drving and not having tanks is a major issue. The UK has pretty much non-existent public transport links and you really HAVE to drive to get anywhere. Tank rental also isnt cheap as most divers own their own gear.

Are in you in a club and does that club have boats? If not in a club i can see why its hard to go diving - id certainly not want to be at the mercy of a dive shop.

This thread is hillarious. The OP asks about diving in the UK and most of the replies are about diving in the Netherlands or Spain! :doh2:

i agree with you.

some of us do dive in UK waters, admittedly this year i've done about half the dives i usually do, (between 50 & 70 per year). There has been so much wind this year that it's been unsafe to go out most weekends, i was hoping that September would bring a drop in the winds, but that hasn't happened. there's time yet though, our water temperature only gets really cold in December so let's hope.

I was blessed with a weekend of clam seas this weekend off the coast of Portland Bill!

Diving the M2 and the Alex from a rib without huge waves was a blessing and with blue skies all weekend we really did pick a great couple of days!

what was the vis like?

It was pretty good on the M2 and Alex 5m plus, not so great within the harbour walls though. We were with another group inc some OW divers so they dived the Countess of Erne and the Landing Craft with only a couple of metres viz and a lot of suspended seaweed.

Heard from most of my club and other mates back home this year has been FAR FAR better than last year for weather. Lower winds and less rain. Last year there was 6 diveable weekends a year. This year they're getting out 2 or 3 weekends a month somewhere at least.

Not that ive dived there since March although im home for a week the end of October so will dive then. Water never gets that cold - the sea never drops below 6c and thats in March which is fine to dive in.

the gulf stream usually takes the low pressures north, but this year it just hasn't. i didn't dive at all in july because of the winds & we had a may/june patch where we were blown out too. Early august was really good though vis back to normal (13m) then 3rd weekend & it was back to 3 or 4 m, the bank holiday was a wash out too.

last year we did far more diving than this, took the boat out 18 times as against 10 this year.

i suppose it depends where you are i don't think there has been a week where the inshore waters chart hasn't had red lines round it.

i even dived the countess this year, first time for years. Did you know that the harbour authority want £28 to dive her that's on top of the launch fee car parking etc!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom