Do people actually dive in the UK or is it myth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure I could be persuaded to dive in a quarry with all that Cornish sea around.

In the Far North we had no wind at all this weekend, despite a 5-6 sw being forecast. So having spent Friday sea kayaking on mirror calm seas from Ackergill to Wick - with the big push from tide around Noss Head - calm enough to get into some of the caves even, although there was still a reasonable swell from the N.
Saturday was walking day, a little damp, but more cos I tried to jump accross a burn on slippy rocks and fell in.
Today diving Port Skerra. A light drizzle meant the day was darker than normal, However the entry was more like a swimming pool. The tide about mid-point and falling we dropped gradually into the relaively kelp free harbour keeping the rocks on the right. At about 4m the seabed falls sharply away and down to the right, a pause while we look for the resident conger ( sleeping still) we swim over the ledge and down into the archway, about 20m 'thick' leading outwards. The walls angling up and over, small dead mans fingers, scorpion fish, spiny starfish, henrys and devonshire cup-corals. The delicate white and yellow anenomes at the entrance ( forget the name, it's latin) as we rise up again to about 11m and drop to the entrance to the first surge gully. Swimming over the entrance today, we decide to head for the E wall, meandering over the less well defined reef filled with 3 or 4 different sponges, swimming crabs and squat lobsters. I find a baby lobster, maybe next years tea, he's feisty and comes out of his hole to defend his territory. Sea lemons, always a few here seem to have multiplyed. I point the first one out to MIke, but lose interest after the 12 or 13th one. The wall rising from about 13m almost to the surface if crystal clear, and even in the middle of winter filled with life. There are spirals of nudibranch eggs, hundreds of green-snotty worm eggs. I glance at my gauges, there's a lound bang behind me, and bubbles everywhere. Turning off my back up reg, Mike beside me he shrugs adn we turn back. A reasonable swim back, I don;t know how much gas I've lost, as the gauge is on the reg I've turned off, so MIke sticks close beside me.
We swim straight back, though its still a good 15 minutes back to the entrance to the arch. Being a wimp, we opt for swimming around to the boat entrance rather than the arch. Even longer a swim, but at least the surface is closer, since we're only in about 7m or so. At 5m, I decide my gas is going to last adn make it back to the slipway before surfacing.
Back on-shore, I check, and I've plenty of gas still, probably only lost about 10b or so. My almost new trusty Apex has got a major leak from one of the internal o-rings in the 1st stage - it's jammed so I can't get into it today....oh well, excuse to go the pub for lunch now :)

i agree with you about the quarry, i really can't get excited about them!

Cornwall is lucky being a long thin county with the Sea about 30 miles apart, always somewhere sheltered, pity it's such a long drive from here.

Having a reg go is such a pain, it's why i use an independant twin set, but seeing all that paid for nitrox bubbling to the surface is enough to make you cry. Glad to hear you are OK though.

are you thinking about Plumose anemones? MarLIN - The Marine Life Information Network

Spent 2.5 hours in the sea today, 7 degrees C! A bit colder than I was diving in last week in Thailand.

Bugger about the reg, expecially as it's 'almost new', I'd take it back under warranty if it's less than a year old or back to the service agent if the service is less than a year ago.

I only use the quarries for training when the weather messes it up for us. One is only 8m deep and ideal for Open water training, another is 30m deep and ideal for advanced etc. The closest one to me is 92m deep, the entry point is 84m and it's straight down on all sides although there is a ledge a 60-65m. Good for running some deep dives when the sea won't let you. We're used to diving every week, 2 weeks of bad weather and we get desperate :)

I looked them up - the anenomes are Actinothoe sphyrodeta, which is why I can never remember the name - they're reasonably common further south, but not so this far north.

I don't know what went on the reg - first time in 1200 dives I've had one go while underwater :( - still it's only 4 months old, I'll send it back to SDS tomorrow so they can fix it - inconvenient, cos I'm away at Loch Fyne at a branch instructor development weekend on Friday.

92m is a deep quarry, take it it's not one of those commercially developed ones then? Quarries are ideal for training when the sea is inaccessible, especially for those in the middle of the country, it definitely pays to stay in practise over the winter months. We've not got any diveable quarries unless you like slurry, so tend to head for Scapa over the winter months

Ah yes, the fried egg or sandled anemone, yes they are common down here, often mistaken for sargatia elegans (elegant anemone), but actinothe has a striped column.

i've been lucky so far not had a reg go, but it's happened to 4 friends of mine over they years, scary when it happens. i agree at 4 months you should send it back, replace would be better than fix - can you trust it?

i can see the advantage of quarries for training, but i'd rather do build up dives, hopefully starting next month. the commercial ones are usually crowded and there isn't that much to see which interests me. shallow dives early season are fun, you can get to places where the kelp has been ripped out by the winter storms before it grows again, having said that i've been trying to get a photo of a propshaft on a wreck in 10m for years and the vis or the weather has made it impossible - wish me luck this year.

92m is a deep quarry, take it it's not one of those commercially developed ones then? Quarries are ideal for training when the sea is inaccessible, especially for those in the middle of the country, it definitely pays to stay in practise over the winter months. We've not got any diveable quarries unless you like slurry, so tend to head for Scapa over the winter months
The quarry isn't commercially developed, it's owned by a mate who lets us dive it whenever we want, which is very rarely.

sylpha:
having said that i've been trying to get a photo of a propshaft on a wreck in 10m for years and the vis or the weather has made it impossible - wish me luck this year
Good luck :)

It seems I am out for a while. I've picked up a middle ear infection.

Thanks Sylpha. Its getting better. Of for a checkup today hope to get the OK to dive again soon :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom